Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pixel Wars2 - Metagameness.
coolity Offline
Private

Pixel Wars2 - Metagameness.

So during my long absence I thought of a nice secondary "Sequel" Of sorts to Pixel Wars, With lots of metagameyness. (So much that it would need its own forum or subforums.)

Features new from Original PW:

- Not about winning! With the fact that everything is pixels, when all systems are captured by one player, or they have all been captured by players at peace, I can expand the 'Starmap' with new planets and sectors, keeping it fun and fresh. (When the amount of empty space gets too big, ill start making much more common randomized events.)

- Planets, MULTIPLE planets

- Actual PPW use. (That fleet over a planet that you want? Yeah, have fun getting through it.)

- Finish Capturing. After you fly onto a planet you need to hold it with ground forces, until the enemy is gone and you have a builder on it.

- Use a new army, or old army units.

- Make Ringworlds.

- Still fun on he topic everyone likes for story making.

- Pirates! I would control pirates who could not take planets, only ships for their armies. But when they lose all their ships they are gone for good. (Pirate ships will be repainted versions of stolen ships.)

- Exploration! Pretend I made a giant 10x10 starmap, only... say... three of the sectors are explored, so go to an unexplored sector and you could find anything!

- Events! With me controlling random events (And moderators doing such if they want.(This goes for pirates too.)) you could find a derelict! But then get a fun alien infection attack! Or even bring it to a planet. (Notice: Random Events may be rare to common.)

What its point is:

New match in 'PW2'? Take your army from a 'PW2' Planet to that match.

That and it will just be a fun little metagame that you dont HAVE to participate in.

TLDR: Major metagame version of PW with a large enough amount of things that to keep organized would need a subforum if it was accepted.

Thoughts?

(04-13-2011 11:03 PM)DannyBoyYeh pid=' Wrote:etc etc. thats what i would expect rather than &quot;SLENDERYMAN WALKS CASUALLY INTO TOWN! OH NOES GANGSTERS RAKE SHOWS UP!!&quot;<br />
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 12:49 PM by coolity.)
08-22-2011 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheL20 Offline
King of Delwar

Re: Pixel Wars2 - Metagameness.

Seems like it might be fun. How you would keep track of everything, however, that's beyond me.
08-22-2011 06:41 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 06:41 PM)TheL20 link Wrote:  Seems like it might be fun. How you would keep track of everything, however, that's beyond me.

If it happened I would make a thread and constantly update it so everyone can keep track.

(04-13-2011 11:03 PM)DannyBoyYeh pid=' Wrote:etc etc. thats what i would expect rather than &quot;SLENDERYMAN WALKS CASUALLY INTO TOWN! OH NOES GANGSTERS RAKE SHOWS UP!!&quot;<br />
08-22-2011 06:42 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

Spears are kind of a useless tech compared to others :/

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
08-22-2011 07:29 PM
Xron Offline
Gotta go fast

The title should be meta game 2 or something, you have not redefined picture wars you've made a more complex civ.

Spoiler :
[Image: iwKhUHIyGt1p1.gif]
08-22-2011 07:30 PM
Creeding Offline
Private

Seems like if you or anyone else would want to play that, you would be using a template sheet... or at least some kind of standardization.

[center][Image: NT1.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT210.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT34.png]<br />[/center]
08-22-2011 07:32 PM
Xron Offline
Gotta go fast

Also, I preferred your first (less complex) idea.

Spoiler :
08-22-2011 07:39 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 07:39 PM)Xron link Wrote:  Also, I preferred your first (less complex) idea.

No one used it, No one at all.

Edit: Ill dig it out and start a new thread for the old one if I can.

Edit: Found it, Anyone have any ways to make it more fun?

In photocopiers words:
Quote:This is a kinda cool idea, I think it would be better if you had your own thread and ran it like a farm though. Then other people could talk to you outside of this match if they want to attack or something rather than making it into another Civ/sandbox type of thing. When someone else joins this match (pre-discussed) then it would be played turn by turn like a normal game untill only one person is on the map again.

And the rules I made:
Spoiler :
What is this.

This, is my attempt at making a Functional and New take on PW, but on a metagame scale.

The rules of it

General PW rules, can only do a turn here if another player declares here or when you declare in another match.

What its point is:

Make a base to call in soldiers to other matches, Eg.

Wish in Killzone you had a mech? Have a mech at your MetaGame Base? Call it in if the match allows!

What other players can do:

Other players can Arrive with a small amount of troops and make a outpost to try to take over or steal weapons, ect, or can call soldiers from their metagame base or a match.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 07:47 PM by coolity.)
08-22-2011 07:40 PM
Xron Offline
Gotta go fast

And frankly as cool as it is this one probably won't catch on. especially since this one is more complex, but I think the reason it didn't catch on is because it was advertised as a idea not as something people were gonna do. If you want this to work start a match and pm elf until your fingers hurt about getting that sub forum made. This is to much for it to work its self out without help form you. Done.

Spoiler :
08-22-2011 07:47 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 07:47 PM)Xron link Wrote:  And frankly as cool as it is this one probably won't catch on. especially since this one is more complex, but I think the reason it didn't catch on is because it was advertised as a idea not as something people were gonna do. If you want this to work start a match and pm elf until your fingers hurt about getting that sub forum made. This is to much for it to work its self out without help form you. Done.

Ill try that, But for now Im deciding: Overcomplex or A simplified version. Or even my Original idea.

08-22-2011 07:50 PM
Xron Offline
Gotta go fast

Original idea imo, also elf is on holiday right now.

Spoiler :
08-22-2011 07:52 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 07:52 PM)Xron link Wrote:  also elf is on holiday right now.

Urg, Can anyone else make a subforum?

Edit: Ill run my original idea and if enough people start using it and when elf gets back then ill try out the Metagame2 idea.

Edit 2: Now I need to decide: One superthread or everyone gets a separate thread.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 07:56 PM by coolity.)
08-22-2011 07:53 PM
Creeding Offline
Private

Coolity, may I suggest putting this on hold for now? You seems to be sprinting before you can even crawl.

Try and make a more formal thread later on including indepth rules (Including your plans for the subforum) rather then a splurg of ideas and undefined concepts. Maybe a small 'demo' when you have worked out all the possible kinks.

Right now you shouldn't be worrying about anything other then a better name.

[center][Image: NT1.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT210.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT34.png]<br />[/center]
08-22-2011 08:18 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 08:18 PM)Creeding link Wrote:  Coolity, may I suggest putting this on hold for now? You seems to be sprinting before you can even crawl.

Try and make a more formal thread later on including indepth rules (Including your plans for the subforum) rather then a splurg of ideas and undefined concepts. Maybe a small 'demo' when you have worked out all the possible kinks.

Right now you shouldn't be worrying about anything other then a better name.

I made a thread for my "old completed rules simple thing," for now ill work on refining the "PW2" Stuff.

http://picturewars.net/smf/index.php?topic=990.0

08-22-2011 08:20 PM
Bikkel Offline
Private

Someone played *Insert generic RTS here*.

This won't work simply because nobody (maybe 2-3) can be arsed to keep track of resources (and even Unit HP). Once you get 10+ units it'll be a nightmare to make a turn. Also mini pw is shit, don't be lazy, make a proper army.

Look at my balls<br />[Image: oldbutstillfresh2.png]<br />Bikkel fanart
08-22-2011 08:41 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-22-2011 08:41 PM)Bikkel link Wrote:  This won't work simply because nobody (maybe 2-3) can be arsed to keep track of resources (and even Unit HP).

I would keep track of that.

Quote: Also mini pw is shit, don't be lazy, make a proper army.

And what is that even related to?

08-22-2011 08:44 PM
Bikkel Offline
Private

Refer to the parenthesis.

Your example.

Look at my balls<br />[Image: oldbutstillfresh2.png]<br />Bikkel fanart
08-22-2011 09:09 PM
SuperChocobo Offline
Super Moderator

Any gamemode that requires you to keep track of resources and research dies, and dies fast. Anyone who has been in PW for more than a year will tell you this.

Also Metal Chao is the one to ask for new Subforums. But he is also on holiday.
08-23-2011 06:42 AM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-23-2011 06:42 AM)SuperChocobo link Wrote:  Any gamemode that requires you to keep track of resources and research dies, and dies fast. Anyone who has been in PW for more than a year will tell you this.

Also Metal Chao is the one to ask for new Subforums. But he is also on holiday.

Then on the topic of resources and research, remove them?

That actually sounds much better.

Edit: Cleaned up nonsensical wording.

Edit 2: Added new things to keep the old PW Story like system in place. (Pirates and Random Events, and exploration.(nice, interesting matches.))

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 12:37 PM by coolity.)
08-23-2011 12:24 PM
Creeding Offline
Private

(08-23-2011 06:42 AM)SuperChocobo link Wrote:  Any gamemode that requires you to keep track of resources and research dies, and dies fast.

LIES! LIES, CORRUPTION AND SLANDER!

Dying Lights died due to festive holidays... and the more people scream "Resources management wont work!" the less I feel that my GM is going to get off the ground. Infact, that I've been totally neglecting it for over a month now.

If you want me, I'll be in the monocle and tophat cave.

08-23-2011 12:41 PM
coolity Offline
Private

(08-23-2011 12:41 PM)Creeding link Wrote:  
LIES! LIES, CORRUPTION AND SLANDER!

Dying Lights died due to festive holidays... and the more people scream "Resources management wont work!" the less I feel that my GM is going to get off the ground. Infact, that I've been totally neglecting it for over a month now.

After a bit of thought though, I realizeOhNo"Oh god i need to read every planet and write down every factions techs and stuff."

Ending with me cutting out resources and research, In favor of exploration and pirates, and Random Events.

To me a resource and research game would work, would just need to remember how many of X thing here you had.

Edit: Now, anyone seeing this, Is there anything that could improve this idea?

08-23-2011 12:46 PM
SuperChocobo Offline
Super Moderator

(08-23-2011 12:41 PM)Creeding link Wrote:  Dying Lights died due to festive holidays...
You are aware dying light was done previously, and there was no holidays that made it die. There has been many gamemodes almost identical to it that have died very fast.

I'm not saying this because I have anything against these gamemodes, I'm saying this because 4 years of PW experience doesn't tell me otherwise.
08-23-2011 01:51 PM
coolity Offline
Private

Im starting to think I should make a demo match to explain this better, anyone think I should?

08-23-2011 01:55 PM
DragonSpawn Offline
Commando

I'm thinking that you should accept that not that many people are interested in a gamemode that takes some pretty boring ideas and combines it with stuff people already do in PW.

[Image: aX7yx.png]
08-23-2011 03:19 PM
Creeding Offline
Private

(08-23-2011 01:51 PM)SuperChocobo link Wrote:  You are aware dying light was done previously, and there was no holidays that made it die. There has been many gamemodes almost identical to it that have died very fast.

I'm not saying this because I have anything against these gamemodes, I'm saying this because 4 years of PW experience doesn't tell me otherwise.

Dying lights 2*.

The only one I could really read up on.

(08-23-2011 01:51 PM)SuperChocobo link Wrote:  You are aware dying light was done previously
Also, what?

08-23-2011 04:32 PM