RE: -Sandbox- Life on PW_Mars

Declare

EDIT: we made it to page 4 babyyyyy

EDIT:EDIT:FWD:FWD:FWD:RE:

[Image: oGs3pP0.png]

"Good impact, standby."

[Image: KTtgjqp.png]

"Oh baby, that's Army strong right there-- hooah!"

Down below, the grenade bursts into a cloud of shrapnel in a pitiful act of defiance against the gaseous cloud.

A patrol of DM-8 "Mule" VTOLs begins setting up a picket around the AO.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 08:31 AM by Leadpumper.)
12-12-2016 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Damn, we really hit page four! I can't believe my eyes. Anyway, let's get moving.

[Image: q2sxsMT.png]
Almost instantly after grenade's detonation bacteria cloud expansion stops. After a moment, its surface bursts with multiple tentacle-like trails. These things areslightly moving almost as if some blind person is trying to explore its surroundings by touching it.
The faided Dominion drone is now completely enveloped with thin root-like branches. Tree that catched it remains more nimble than its neighbours, like if a special function was dedicated to it. Other trees, in their turns, are also become more unique, they are touching ceiling of the cave, some even are beginning to blossom.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 10:47 AM by Stefman.)
12-12-2016 08:42 AM
Synthetic Offline
(aka Jager) Forum Moderator

[Image: wPktCBn.png]

3 Avonii atmospheric craft come streaking in from random directions, forming into a single group headed straight for the dominion craft.

At the same time, a single Avonii dropship flies in, it's rack filled with drop pods. In mere moments the pods will land, releasing squads of killer drones against the unprepared dominion soldiers, and anyone else caught in the crossfire nearby.

[Image: 3dmsrbh][Image: R3PBvyl.png][Image: WyBNV.gif][Image: JLPOu.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 11:01 AM by Synthetic.)
12-12-2016 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Holy shit. We have a flood of comebacks in this thread. I wonder who will return next.

12-12-2016 11:05 AM
Gamma Plasma Online
Particle oscillating pioneer

I'm waiting for Battul to turn up again, chanting about the five pages PW curse.

Will it finally be broken?

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
12-12-2016 11:37 AM
Leadpumper Offline
Private

Declare

[Image: eVSFbfs.png]

The surface team falls back, covered by the MMG. Even a lone Avonii craft could devastate infantry caught out of position, with its deployable hounds. Investigation into the bacteria cloud would have to wait in the face of more pressing concerns.

Outside the AO, the DM-8 pilots panic at the sight of three Avonii interceptors.

"Firing, Fox Two!"

"What the hell are you doing? Bug out!"
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 09:03 PM by Leadpumper.)
12-12-2016 07:59 PM
Mirokan Offline
Private

(12-12-2016 11:05 AM)Stefman Wrote:  Holy shit. We have a flood of comebacks in this thread. I wonder who will return next.

Yeah I know, it'd be crazy if more people started showing up huh? Declare.

While many disparate factions vie for power on the red planet, the colonists, miners, and workers of Tharsis region of Mars pin their hopes upon the newly-ascendant Ares Orthodoxy.

[Image: ySJytwz.png]
Ares Orthodoxy propaganda found on Martian Public transit.

Led by several high-ranking defectors from the 3rd Tharsis Grenadiers, supported by several iconoclastic oligarchs, funded by countless mining magnates, and respected deeply by all red-blooded mavericks who grow tired of Terran Dominion, the Ares Orthodoxy has achieved considerable gains during ongoing tumult on Mars.

Now they plan to build a bastion to further solidify their stranglehold on the red planet, and create a manufacturing base and resupply point for rebel soldiers.

[Image: OPVTDA5.png]

An archaic excavator slowly grinds away against a large ore deposit. The dull roar of machinery and ore processing fills the atmosphere as countless tons of ore are dumped into the massive furnace.
Since this excavator was seized by the rebels, it has been proudly decorated with the colors and flags of the Ares Orthodoxy, the flags waving to and fro in the bitter wind.

Eagerly awaiting their leader, a group of Martian colonists and volunteers have gathered at the excavation site, kept under close watch by several guards.

[Image: ileEZqo.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 04:11 AM by Mirokan.)
12-12-2016 09:50 PM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

The map expansion! I haven't seen a move like that since the great PW sandbox on '93!

I am not the evil clone of Kittenpillar.
12-12-2016 10:25 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

Declare
12-13-2016 12:50 AM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

My bad for the wait, i had a lot to do and I still might have forgotten something. I'm skipping Mirokan's turn because something is turning his image green and he doesn't know how to fix it yet.
[Image: b32HqIp.png]
In the barrage of shards and beams, junior falls back and reels from his many wounds. He no longer feels the need to talk. The cannon of the looted aircraft fires again at the figures standing on the structure across the lake. The rocket from the last salvo connects with the defenses of the base, setting off a number of the charges and destroying the finish on the alien patio nearby.

The workers approach the site of the crystal. A consensus is reached by the group, and the one who failed to call "not it!" warily enters the cave. A straggler stays behind at the nest to stockpile equipment and guard the nest. Lucky for him, the queen is occupied for now. The sixth worker goes to see the other face of their hill, seeking more room to expand the hive's structure into.

Lying on the ground, the alien creature does not threaten the mites. They pour over the blue formations instead, analyzing the properties of the substance. Their host is concerned for the foreign being. Arms reach out, but hesitate to touch or disturb it's state knowing the risks. The accompanying scout charges the drone and knocks it off course. The swarm lord watches, but trains his weapon back on the figure in front of him.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 04:07 AM by ltoblivious.)
12-13-2016 02:41 AM
Synthetic Offline
(aka Jager) Forum Moderator

[Image: ASVIxCP.png]

The Dropship ignores the infantry, deciding that the broken armored vehicle is a greater threat. Its drop pods are released.

In the background, the missile is shot down by the first interceptor's laser before it can get close. With the first craft providing missile defense, the other two lock on to their respective targets, preparing to fire a more deadly laser strike.

[Image: 3dmsrbh][Image: R3PBvyl.png][Image: WyBNV.gif][Image: JLPOu.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 04:26 AM by Synthetic.)
12-13-2016 03:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

[Image: 0cLhqwp.png]
Quick merge of map and expansion. Sorry, I can't post an actual turn right now.

12-13-2016 04:36 AM
Lucan Offline
C

Stefman MVP
12-13-2016 04:55 AM
Mirokan Offline
Private

I'm still trying to figure out the color correction issue, but no dice.
I've tried swapping browsers (IE, color-corrected firefox, chrome which I usually use),
swapping editors (GIMP, MSpaint, XPpaint),
and a bajillion crazy edits (swapping color profiles, using ICC V2 and ICCV4, which still creates green images)
I'm going to try and figure this out eventually, but feel free to skip me until I get it worked out.

I might have to try uploading files from my other computer, but if those turn out green too I'll be thoroughly stumped.

Feel free to suggest solutions as I have worked on this for several hours with no appreciable progress beyond further confusion.

12-13-2016 05:05 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Okay, actual turn goes now.

[Image: eVg40Yk.png]
Bacteria cloud bursts upward, enveloping large spherical droid. The force of burst is strong enough to suck some parts of cloud from other tunnels. The affected drone falls, its lights begin to fade. Cloud 'tentacles' in the eastern part of the cave are retracted while rest of the cloud takes over a room with blye crystals poking from its walls.
Catched Dominion drone is placed in a cocoon and seeems to be assimilated with the tree. A nearby tree starts to emit electromagnetic pulses with same frequences as used for Dominion communications. However, it the meesage, if this is a message, is undecryptable gibberish.
Another tree, which tries to penetrate cave ceiling, makes a discovery: an oil deposit is found. Tree's branches are transforming to tranfer valuable resource to the rest of the colony.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 03:03 PM by Stefman.)
12-13-2016 12:28 PM
Lucan Offline
C

Declare
12-13-2016 03:14 PM
Gamma Plasma Online

(12-13-2016 05:05 AM)Mirokan Wrote:  I'm still trying to figure out the color correction issue, but no dice.
I've tried swapping browsers (IE, color-corrected firefox, chrome which I usually use),
swapping editors (GIMP, MSpaint, XPpaint),
and a bajillion crazy edits (swapping color profiles, using ICC V2 and ICCV4, which still creates green images)
I'm going to try and figure this out eventually, but feel free to skip me until I get it worked out.

I might have to try uploading files from my other computer, but if those turn out green too I'll be thoroughly stumped.

Feel free to suggest solutions as I have worked on this for several hours with no appreciable progress beyond further confusion.
I'm definitely not an expert on this, and seeing as you've even gone to the trouble of messing about with colourspaces, I'm at a loss for what to suggest. Sorry.

Have you tried something weird and simple like saving to another suitable format that isn't png, and then making it a png later (or even just uploading under a different format)

Or instead of saving the image, copy and pasting it out of your browser into your editor? (I'm assuming you've already checked to make sure there's no weird colour altering settings in your editor either).

Is this an issue before you begin edits or after uploading, btw?

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
12-13-2016 03:31 PM
Lucan Offline
C

[Image: 9NI3u8w.png]
005b issues a desperate command
"FALL BACK, TO THE LOWER CAVES!"
He slashes the enemy bot, leaping off the chassis, sending it down the shaft.
Then following up with his missile, sending it dead towards the gunship.

The unlucky miner finds no reprieve. He is hit by one of the massive shells and explodes into pieces.

Embers from the kill wall rise into the martian sky, with it catastrophically damaged. One of the capacitors however, manages to keep the few unexploded grenades active.

The miners below, hearing the issue to withdraw, all panic and flee towards the mineshaft.

37 reaches down to 94's blasted body.
"Niner- You're still with me.. Not totally gone yet-"
He shouts out to Kortheq;
"We're overwhelmed! We have to regroup in the caves! We have preferable odds if we stick together!"
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 04:43 PM by Lucan.)
12-13-2016 04:34 PM
Mirokan Offline
Private

(12-13-2016 03:31 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  I'm definitely not an expert on this, and seeing as you've even gone to the trouble of messing about with colourspaces, I'm at a loss for what to suggest. Sorry.

Have you tried something weird and simple like saving to another suitable format that isn't png, and then making it a png later (or even just uploading under a different format)

Or instead of saving the image, copy and pasting it out of your browser into your editor? (I'm assuming you've already checked to make sure there's no weird colour altering settings in your editor either).

Is this an issue before you begin edits or after uploading, btw?

The issue is entirely from uploading. I could try a different image format, but then there'd be some compression right? We have to use PNG to ensure that the colors remain the same. I'll try some of your other tricks to see if it makes a difference.

12-13-2016 05:26 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Guys, sorry to interrupt, but could this link be of help?

12-13-2016 05:38 PM
Mirokan Offline
Private

[Image: 0XrSkNZ.png]
I checked with lizzrd and he says this is not green. I tried to correct colors based on the most recent turn.
Are the colors good? (I cannot check on my end)

The funny part is that none of my sprite images changed color, just the background did. So I assume it was some alpha-channel wizardry from the new MSpaint (I've since switched entirely to XPpaint, long live XPpaint.)

12-13-2016 05:46 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

As far as I could see, the colors are Ok.

12-13-2016 05:56 PM
Mirokan Offline
Private

(12-13-2016 05:56 PM)Stefman Wrote:  As far as I could see, the colors are Ok.

Alright cool, thanks for the help Stefman. Whoever declares next, try to use that next image. Sorry for derailing the sandbox with my color issues, and let's keep this sandbox rolling.

12-13-2016 06:01 PM
Gamma Plasma Online

(12-13-2016 05:26 PM)Mirokan Wrote:  The issue is entirely from uploading. I could try a different image format, but then there'd be some compression right? We have to use PNG to ensure that the colors remain the same. I'll try some of your other tricks to see if it makes a difference.
Well yeah, nothing lossy like JPEGs, but I was going out on a limb and thinking about something like XCF (you said you had GIMP after all) as a last resort (though imgur converts it into a PNG).

But yeah, slapped it into an editor with an older image to compare and it looks okay now. Hurrah.

Also screw XPpaint, VistaPaint all day every day. :P

12-13-2016 06:48 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I'm glad you figured it out. The map colors look good to me.
[Image: r60GU6V.png]
I left a rectangle of green on the ice in the center of the map on my last turn.
This should fix most things; some of the sprites might still be darker though around that area.
12-14-2016 12:13 AM