Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Dreams Thread
Gamma Plasma Offline
Particle oscillating pioneer

RE: The Dreams Thread

(08-30-2016 01:50 PM)Trifon Wrote:  No I'm saying go and do that if you want to. Plus use the alarm on a phone like a normal person.
If you WANT to then... yes. Wake yourself 5 hours after you normally go to sleep, write your dreams in a dream journal (Don't write long as fuck entries, the point is to remember them not to make a play about them) and then straight back to sleep. Writing in a journal should help with dream recall and also helps with memory in the waking world.
I was saying that in jest, I never bothered with setting alarms for myself (the insomnia and messed up sleep schedule being a part of it), although I do have a friend who figured they'd go buy an alarm clock, since they never kept their phone charged, or would forget to charge it overnight.
Honestly they were just really disorganised.

They ended up buying two though, since they were also a heavy sleeper, and there was something about wanting a spare one, although they use them both together so I'm not sure how it'd work as a spare replacement if it's being used repeatedly as well.
I dunno, their logic has never really been great.

Anyway it wasn't my intention but I've ended up learning a lot from all this. Maybe I'll report back with some dream findings, assuming people care about this thread in a month.

Anyway to carry on with the dream talk, any of you had the sorts of dreams that Jager and I said we did where you're just consuming a piece of media and doing nothing else but watching or listening to it.

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
08-30-2016 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

No.
Anyone had a dream where they've been able to sense things other than sight, sound and occasionally touch.
I had one last night where I drank a fluid from an 'Alien Cup'. Was sort of like a 3-pointed geometric shape with a smaller 3-poined geometric shape inside. Think like a cubic shamrock with another cubic shamrock inside. Kind of tasted tangy and super sweet, reminded me of Tango Apple.

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
08-30-2016 09:10 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

(08-30-2016 08:10 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  Anyway to carry on with the dream talk, any of you had the sorts of dreams that Jager and I said we did where you're just consuming a piece of media and doing nothing else but watching or listening to it.

Does playing a video game count? Last night I dreamed I was playing some sort of Civ-style RTS. Last thing I remember was trying to build a series of fortifications around an interment camp. Previously I was dreaming of fucking Cars of all things.

derp derp derp
08-30-2016 10:24 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

(08-30-2016 10:24 PM)skaianDestiny Wrote:  fucking Cars

oh, so was it what they call a wet dream?

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
08-31-2016 07:39 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

(08-31-2016 07:39 AM)Pookaball Wrote:  
(08-30-2016 10:24 PM)skaianDestiny Wrote:  fucking Cars

oh, so was it what they call a wet dream?

You're joking but I'm pretty sure there was car sex at one point, I'm not even sure.

derp derp derp
08-31-2016 03:21 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

Exhaust pipes, never again. Unsure

(08-30-2016 09:10 PM)Trifon Wrote:  Anyone had a dream where they've been able to sense things other than sight, sound and occasionally touch.
I've had a few where I've tasted stuff. Some normal, some not. I've also had some slightly weirder sense ones as well.
For example I also had cases of where I had electric/magnetic senses (or at least how I thought it might work at the time.)

One was where I was in the water. I think I was a fish? Or maybe an eel? I dunno. It was like the sort of feeling you get from a van de graff generator.

Another was about a day or two after I finished reading the Index New Testament Vol 3 light novel, and was dreaming about some of the events that happened.
It hopped around like a truncated film, but was entirely in first person. When I got to parts with Misaka Worst and Mikoto Misaka (they can create, control and sense electrical and magnetic energy) the feeling and sense was quite strange.

I don't remember it too well, but part of that one was kinda like things were full of iron fillings, and if magnetic things moved it would be like pins and needles on my skin.
My eyes were also tripping but I've no idea how to describe what I can remember from that part (plus I don't think those two girls have vision problems in the story, but that's beside the point.)

Now here's one that's more fitting with this whole forum:

Ever dreamt about anything from PW? (Your army or anothers, a map, a match.)

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
08-31-2016 07:03 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

I have but I don't remember what it was, just that I have. Might have been of the Ranvir, my army at the time (Last December-ish)

On a side note, does illness affect dreams cus I used to be able to dream quite vividly. Not just dream but daydream about random shit but in the weekend I ate some bad food and got food poisoning and now I can't think as well as I did a week ago. It's more an observation really but does anyone else find this to be true. It might be because I'm sick I'm concentrating on the fact that I'm sick rather than other thoughts.

08-31-2016 07:11 PM
Synthetic Offline
(aka Jager) Forum Moderator

(08-28-2016 01:57 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  
(08-28-2016 02:30 AM)Synthetic Wrote:  I need to start keeping a dream journal again. I did it for awhile then stopped a couple years ago.
Is it worth it keeping a dream journal? I always feel like I should bother since I have trouble even remembering 70% of my dreams when I first awake, but I've been why too lazy to bother with it.

(08-28-2016 02:30 AM)Synthetic Wrote:  As I tried to strangle him on the ground, he started spoiling the plot to a movie that I had not yet seen. This was his first and only reaction to me. I became sad because I did not want to kill him. I stopped attacking him. We then just sat and talked about this made-up movie that I remember nothing about anymore.
Best part.

You know the movie probably didn't exist, but out of curiosity did you bother to look it up and, if it did exist, see how accurate your dream's version was?
Assuming you remembered the title after you woke up.

What little details I could remember about the movie after waking up, I have long forgotten them now. I only remember specifically thinking after waking up how that movie didn't exist.

And yeah, keeping a dream journal is worth it. I can barely remember a single dream I've had this week, but when I had a dream journal, I was remembering my dreams every night in detail.

(08-30-2016 08:10 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  Anyway to carry on with the dream talk, any of you had the sorts of dreams that Jager and I said we did where you're just consuming a piece of media and doing nothing else but watching or listening to it.

I still get dreams like this all the time, and they're usually pretty great. sometimes I'll become one of the characters for awhile, but usually I'm just watching stuff happen, unaware that I exist.

A few more examples of this from my dream journal. Some are just short scenes or scenery:
Spoiler :
There was a man, an officer I believe. He was sitting at a desk. He was in the military, and away from home. He was typing a letter to send to his wife and son. He also designed a rocket ship, which he printed out in 3 sections and cut from a piece of paper. Sitting next to the man was a humanoid robot with a single eye. Its elbows had guages on the outer sides. What makes this short, simple dream interesting, is that the entire dream looked like an animated sketch. the only color was a monotone, unshaded tan brown. Everything was made of sketchy lines. It looked pretty neat.
Spoiler :
The king of a small kingdom was walking through his village. He walked through the poorer districts until reaching the area owned by nobles and other important raking figures. He was carrying a bag of gold. He began throwing gold at the nobles and their families, calling them poor beggars and unfortunate souls. When the gold was depleted, he left, again going back through the commoner districts. He was plotting something against the nobles. I never got to see how it played out. I was awoken by loud noise.
Spoiler :
There was a nice looking Lego set. It had a giant tree, a minifigure, and various other little bits of scenery around it. The front of the tree had hinges, and opened up. Upon opening up the tree, there were about 5 layers of flat trees, each layer being a smaller version of the large tree, as if choniclling its growth into the bigger tree. The bottom of the tree also allowed the entire tree to be pushed back. With the tree removed from the scenery, only a small crop of mushrooms, around the height of a minifigure, was left at its base.

Others are like short movies by themselves:

Spoiler :
This one started in first person, but shortly after it started I just became an incorporeal observer.
There was a dragon. A larger, one eyed worm-monster devoured it. It then stared at us. Our army had to fight it. The next thing that I remember, is after we defeated it. The setting seemed a bit like a post-apocalyptic one, with the USA split into two post-war factions. We were in a dry open area with sparse sickly vegetation. We were the "east coast army." Our vehicles and uniforms had a sandy yellow hue. We were fighting with somewhere between modern technology and slightly pre-modern tech. Some of our vehicles were also nothing more than old pickup trucks with a gun mounted in the back. We were trying to get a convoy through the area. We ended up disturbing a lone hermit who had access to pre-war technology. His mech was tearing us apart. We eventually got him to exit the mech after we had lost most of our convoy. He was a huge man with bulky powered armor. He slaughtered everybody without taking a scratch. He removed his helmet to view the destruction he had created. He was bald, and about as big and bulky as a man can get, even without the powered armor. A bullet suddenly came out of nowhere and hit him in a weak point on his leg. he dropped to one knee. A man wearing grey armor with rust colored patches ran up to him from seemingly out of nowhere. He had no helmet. He was a young adult with long, black, greasy hair. He held a poisoned knife to the man's throat. He gloated and said that the west coast army would now march east un-opposed. In the distance, grey and rust colored vehicles could be seen approaching. The man in powered armor grabbed the knife from his grip, and stabbed him in the arm with it. There was a loud sound of gas escaping from the suit. The west coast assassin was surprised, confused, and screaming. The lone man then stabbed himself in the leg with the knife, ensuring that he would die. He managed to do this through the thick upper-leg armor. He then grabbed a nearby dying east coast soldier, and stabbed him with it too. There was again the sound of gas rapidly escaping from the suit's hole.

Spoiler :
The dream began showing a man. I was not this man, and I was not in control of this man, but I was still influencing his actions. He worked at a school. I believe that he was a teacher, but that was not made certain. He was the nameless protagonist throughout the dream. The events of this dream began at the school. People throughout the world were quickly being infected by a disease that appeared to destroy all flaws of their human nature. People infected by this became completely selfless, unable to feel any negative emotions, and were driven to extreme and dangerous lengths to spread their condition to other people. It seemed that they lost any resemblance of free will through the infection. The nameless protagonist was attempting to flee the school with the only child that he was able to rescue. He escaped, but he was not able to save the boy. He shut himself inside of his home as disturbingly friendly people constantly pleaded with him to join them. Eventually they broke into his home and tried to take him by force. They infected everything in his home that they could trying to save him from himself. The man became violent, threatening to kill anybody that stayed on his property. He threatened to beat them with his laptop computer, clutched tightly in his hands, as it was the only thing he could find that had not been touched. The hordes of infected people finally decided that turning this man was not worth the danger to themselves. Most of them knew this man, and they decided that they would just have to accept him the way that he was. He would join them on his own with time.

The next scene occurred some time after society learned to accept this man as a flawed and unpredictable being. He was in the passenger seat of a car with his sister at the wheel. I do not remember what they talked about, except where she expressed her disappointment and worry over him. He was still adamant about keeping his mind just as it was, even though it made him miserable. As they talked, a major accident occurred directly in front of their vehicle. She swerved to miss the wreck, before going into shock. Her brother reached over and grabbed the wheel to keep them from crashing into a building on the side of the road. When the car had stopped, the man’s sister was unresponsive to anything. She was simply unable to react to the situation. The nameless protagonist left the vehicle and ran to the wreckage. People were gathering around the wreckage and simply watching. Their faces were emotionless. A young woman emerged from one of the cars with a very badly mangled leg. Somehow she was walking on it despite what should have been crippling pain. The man rushed to help her so that she would not have to walk on her nearly amputated leg. It was only as this man started giving orders to the crowd that people started to do anything. They took the young woman to a hospital, and recovered bodies. It was apparent that these people were incapable of feeling any negative emotion. They could not even register pain to any significant degree. Although they all thought that they were perfect, they were still mortal, and now they seemed incapable of responding to tragedy in any way.

After this event, the nameless protagonist became even more adamantly outspoken against the pandemic. He became something like a mad preacher. Most people did not listen to him. Those few that did still could not believe that they weren’t better off now. Now, spherical objects began appearing all over the world. Their appearance was like naval mines, with string-like tentacles draping loosely from the bottom. These machines spoke of the gods who had granted the people their new “gift.” they claimed that they would be arriving in person soon. By new and unnatural instinct, people had stopped producing food. In anticipation of the arrival of their alien god saviors, they began donating all of their food to trucks which drove around picking up donations. They were stockpiling food as a grand offering. When the nameless protagonist was asked for food donations from one of these trucks, he grabbed an ax and began destroying every alien machine in sight. He yelled at the truck drivers trying to tell them what fools they were making of themselves. They were offering up the earth without resistance, and soon they would all die of starvation. The truck drivers listened to him, and finally people in the nearby community were becoming uncertain about their “gift.” The aliens were not happy about their machines being destroyed, and less happy about the slowly growing dissent. They sent more robots onto the planet. These new machines were humanoid, and about 9 feet high. They were sent only to kill anybody that had refused and escaped conversion.

Unfortunately, beyond this point the dream stopped making sense. The ending to this dream is a mystery.

[Image: 3dmsrbh][Image: 3n9tzsb][Image: WyBNV.gif][Image: JLPOu.gif]
[Image: tumblr_m8ppaeeecR1r7l7cko1_400.png]
09-01-2016 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

I've not had any dreams that I can remember enough to write down this week. Again, probably because I'm sick and my body is concentrating more on flushing out the virus than dreaming.

09-01-2016 12:19 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

You know I've heard that you actually can dream more vividly when you're sick.
I don't know why though, it could be that some people's mind try to focus on something else that's not the pain and sickness or it could be the toxins in the body affecting the mind.

Also it might be confirmation bias, but I have had more memorable dreams when sick, although not necessarily more vivid.

09-01-2016 11:52 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

(09-01-2016 11:52 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  You know I've heard that you actually can dream more vividly when you're sick.
I don't know why though, it could be that some people's mind try to focus on something else that's not the pain and sickness or it could be the toxins in the body affecting the mind.

Also it might be confirmation bias, but I have had more memorable dreams when sick, although not necessarily more vivid.

Well I think that those are fever dreams when your maladies are more with your head and with headaches so your brain is not only getting attention from your body, but even more attention in trying to fix things. Currently my maladies are more to do with my stomach

09-02-2016 12:14 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

A while ago I had a dream I was playing World of Warships with some ships that aren't in the game. The physics was also much more advanced (and a bit sillier) than what's currently in the game. Pretty sure at one point I was shooting a Dutch ship that was capsizing (but still "alive" for some reason). Then I died when I missed a torpedo run on a point blank battleship, so basically the standard WoWs experience.

Any luck with your dreams Trifon?

derp derp derp
09-16-2016 05:57 AM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

I haven't dreamt in quite a while cus I'm currently getting my sleep cycle decent for when I go back to uni.

09-16-2016 11:17 AM
bobo123 Offline
Rookie

I need to keep a dream journal too, i might try to start one. I wonder what effects coding has on our dreams. I was thinking when I code or play games I get vivid dreams. i tried to google it and found this "If we look at the famous psychologist at Grant MacEwan University, Gackenbach conducted research on how playing a video game" from here I dont know how to post this link

action dreams

@Trifon that is interesting about the dream journal I will try to start that.

So I am throwing this into the conversation. Do you think games and virtual images effect our sleep?
10-13-2017 09:58 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

Absolutely. Dreams are basically our mind processing information and doesn't recognise whether that information is from the real world or from a virtual one. I myself have had many a dream involving characters that aren't real.

And just for anybody that's interested. I've had some success with lucid dreaming. My problem is that now I'm starting to slip from it and I'm inducing semi-lucidity. IE, I recognise it's lucid but don't ground myself so I know I'm dreaming but I go along with the dream anyway.

10-13-2017 11:45 PM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

oh shit
I had the weirdest dream
like it was about Poland but
we took part in crusades and shit, Władysław of Varna didin't actually die at Varna but got through, and we had more crusades after that and there was never Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth per se, but rather just a regular king of Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Ruthenia and all that shit down south, and then the Teutonic Order was like assimilated properly and we took a lot of organizational stuff from them and all that shit became like a fucking powerhouse but we actually kinda stopped crusading and took more part in the whole protestant shit wars and whatnot, and it somehow ended in Pope running from Vatican to Poland and we actually kinda lost the world wars except the world wars weren't even like world wars but more like literal fucking crusades aimed at the deviant, protestant west
I mean we lost but it was more kinda like a
stalemate
because we actually decided to stop because Muslims again in the south and whatnot

I had the hardest morning wood ever that day.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
10-14-2017 04:38 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

Bruh...

10-15-2017 02:16 AM
Big H Offline
Rookie

sometimes, i dream about cheese
10-21-2017 08:00 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

What kind of cheese? Brie? Pepperjack? Cheddar? Extra Sharp?

10-22-2017 03:19 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

it's a half life reference

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
10-23-2017 12:31 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

Half Life 2 reference, but nevertheless this is the dreams thread.
Nonsense references were met with serious enquiry.
Declare your dairy preferences. ;)

10-23-2017 02:10 PM