Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Struggle in the Solar System - GALACTIC NEWSBOARD
Fizzick Offline
smord

Struggle in the Solar System - GALACTIC NEWSBOARD

Welcome to the new PW Canon.

The aim of this is to make a bunch of new matches that all fit together in one thing. Put all your scifi shit into this.

[Image: X8mTnkp.png]

This is the thread in which we discuss the commencement of the game, share & collaborate on events and update the system map.

Here are the rules:
Make a new army.
Pick a planet.
Start matches in this.
Continue matches.

Here are some ideas for how to work this:
Mount attacks from your home planet!
Make expeditions into unknown territories: where your band of scientists and mercenaries encounters another unsuspecting party!
Fight over resources!

Now for some lore:

Welcome to the planetfield. Dozens of planets and moons orbiting one low-burn sun, in the middle of the nitrogen-rich Athanasy Nebula. This solar system, named Indolia, is a crucible of conflict. It's laden heavily with thousands of precious minerals, making it a collision point for great empires, wealthy private armies, bounty hunters, mercenaries, scrappy warrior races, and raving marauders all at once.

Suggestions and questions?
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 04:30 PM by Fizzick.)
05-21-2015 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

RE: Struggle in the Solar System - GALACTIC NEWSBOARD

Despite you stated somewhere that it isn't a civ game, it looks like civ, I can't see any significant difference.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
05-21-2015 04:57 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

The idea is that it's more of a background setting rather than the map being a focus. There are no capture-attack rules, it's just a chart showing people's planets. I guess it's different in that there are no real constraints. It wasn't entirely my idea, there's more talk about it in the game finder thing.
05-21-2015 05:12 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

So, a civ without map, that's ok. Something is unclear then. What are expansion rules? How often someone could launch an expedition to new location? How to capture neutral planets or moons? Is there any resource and army management rules?

05-21-2015 05:35 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

No, there are no rules for that. You just do them. That's what separates this from a civ. It's just that it all takes place within this consistent world.
05-21-2015 06:04 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Oh. Expecting powerplay all over the game.

05-21-2015 07:17 PM
AHappyElite Offline
Consistency Equivalent of Measles

[Image: C4LijMT.gif]
In a sarcastic, but still sort of serious kind of way, someone needs to lay down more rules, this seems like a road to powerplay central.

I'm that one white guy who plays black guys in every game possible.
05-22-2015 08:15 AM
Pie Offline
Rookie

How about this: doing something too powerful too quickly will result in everyone else getting pissy with you and kicking you out of the game, just like when someone does that in regular PW.

Just like in regular PW, the objective is not to win, it's to tell a good story, and if you are not a good storyteller, people won't play with you.
05-22-2015 01:17 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

No, that's not enough. We need strict criteria to define what is 'too powerful'. If you look into 'regular PW', you'll see that your method isn't working. For example, in the ongoing PPW match one side brought a fleet that is roughly equal to all other sides' fleets, but nobody complains. While it is more or less adequate for one match, especially sandbox, I doubt that such game would be interesting if all matches will look like this.

05-22-2015 01:27 PM
Pie Offline
Rookie

Ok, how about this: the first fleet put in the game is the rough template for fleet size/power. Per turn, you can gain roughly a quarter of the size/power of that starting fleet size.
05-22-2015 01:39 PM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

(05-22-2015 01:27 PM)Stefman Wrote:  No, that's not enough. We need strict criteria to define what is 'too powerful'. If you look into 'regular PW', you'll see that your method isn't working. For example, in the ongoing PPW match one side brought a fleet that is roughly equal to all other sides' fleets, but nobody complains. While it is more or less adequate for one match, especially sandbox, I doubt that such game would be interesting if all matches will look like this.

I explictly said I want it to escalate quickly because I want to bring in muh Battleships.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
05-22-2015 04:19 PM
Pie Offline
Rookie

I think the point was that it was fine for that, but it wouldn't be fine for this (because this is longer lasting).
05-22-2015 05:25 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

I believe it happened in that match because it was decided at the beginning by Battul, who made the thread.
Since this isn't a civ, you don't have to start matches with people who want to 'win' the picture story game so bad that they'll cheat. If you're really afraid of it, establish rules in your own matches.
05-22-2015 06:29 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Comrade Fizzick, could you explain this 'you don't have to start matches' concept a bit? For example, battul (no offence) declares that he invades my territory. How I possibly could defend it without a match?

05-22-2015 09:18 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

You say you don't want to play that match. Battul doesn't invade that territory for now. I don't understand why everything has to follow game logic... PW has always been a purely narrative game.
05-23-2015 01:14 PM
Battul Offline

(05-22-2015 09:18 PM)Stefman Wrote:  Comrade Fizzick, could you explain this 'you don't have to start matches' concept a bit? For example, battul (no offence) declares that he invades my territory. How I possibly could defend it without a match?

You don't. I claim it for teh IMPERIUM, and you have nothing to say in this case. It's my territory now.

(05-23-2015 01:14 PM)Fizzick Wrote:  You say you don't want to play that match. Battul doesn't invade that territory for now. I don't understand why everything has to follow game logic... PW has always been a purely narrative game.
Because game logic is good. I know from experience that narrative doesn't really... hold most people on for long. Lot's and lot's of people play games to win, or at least come close and get fun from kicking other's ass. It's no fun when you can basically kill everyone and it's whatever, it's fun when you struggle to do that. I would really like to play a match with pretty strict rules so noone will be mad at me when I win the game. I even had an idea to make a set of universal rules (GURPS much) for PW. Like, not made for one match but extended so it can be about anything really, though my example would be tanks because I like tanks. You could calculate if your gun pierces the enemy armor somehow, taking gun length, caliber and armor thickness into account, also stuff like special ammo that is not represented on picture and just makes the unit cost more points or sometshit. It would have to be really complex though.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 02:20 PM by Battul.)
05-23-2015 02:09 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

pw got too many differing ideas for such a small group. i'm out for a while
05-23-2015 02:47 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

(05-23-2015 02:09 PM)Battul Wrote:  I even had an idea to make a set of universal rules (GURPS much) for PW. Like, not made for one match but extended so it can be about anything really, though my example would be tanks because I like tanks. You could calculate if your gun pierces the enemy armor somehow, taking gun length, caliber and armor thickness into account, also stuff like special ammo that is not represented on picture and just makes the unit cost more points or sometshit. It would have to be really complex though.
Could you share waht you got so far? Sounds interesting at least to me. Also, tanks FTW!

05-23-2015 06:18 PM
Battul Offline

(05-23-2015 06:18 PM)Stefman Wrote:  
(05-23-2015 02:09 PM)Battul Wrote:  I even had an idea to make a set of universal rules (GURPS much) for PW. Like, not made for one match but extended so it can be about anything really, though my example would be tanks because I like tanks. You could calculate if your gun pierces the enemy armor somehow, taking gun length, caliber and armor thickness into account, also stuff like special ammo that is not represented on picture and just makes the unit cost more points or sometshit. It would have to be really complex though.
Could you share waht you got so far? Sounds interesting at least to me. Also, tanks FTW!

I haven't got anything so far, it was just one of bunch of ideas I've got during one sleepless night (it's fucking weird you always get those ideas at night), but from what I've thought it would be awesome. But considering my perception of awesome isin't really awesome of other people, I haven't shared it with anyone else. Though really, it would require TOO MUCH WORK to set up for players, as they should show where the crewmembers and modules are on tank, or stuff, write up armor (or show on tank?) and gun values, and then calculate this shit in battle. This could work better if we did it from top view (STEEL PANTHERS STYLE), idk really.

EDIT: Also sorry Fizzick, It appears we have took over your thread.
EDIT2: Steel Panthers for Windows even has Armor Calculator exe in it, you put in armor thickness, angle and it spits out how thick it is actually. Pretty useful.
I could create a basic rules for WWII tank combat, but they would proably be top-down and that requires shitton of work on sprites. IDK really.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015 04:40 PM by Battul.)
05-23-2015 07:09 PM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

(05-23-2015 07:09 PM)Battul Wrote:  
(05-23-2015 06:18 PM)Stefman Wrote:  

I haven't got anything so far, it was just one of bunch of ideas I've got during one sleepless night (it's fucking weird you always get those ideas at night), but from what I've thought it would be awesome. But considering my perception of awesome isin't really awesome of other people, I haven't shared it with anyone else. Though really, it would require TOO MUCH WORK to set up for players, as they should show where the crewmembers and modules are on tank, or stuff, write up armor (or show on tank?) and gun values, and then calculate this shit in battle. This could work better if we did it from top view (STEEL PANTHERS STYLE), idk really.

EDIT: Also sorry Fizzick, It appears we have took over your thread.
EDIT2: Steel Panthers for Windows even has Armor Calculator exe in it, you put in armor thickness, angle and it spits out how thick it is actually. Pretty useful.
I could create a basic rules for WWII tank combat, but they would proably be top-down and that requires shitton of work on sprites. IDK really.

Reminds me of when Synthetic did the infantry sandbox; maybe we could combine the rules into some sort of structured game? I keep armor values for all my vehicles just in case such a thing would ever come up.

Also, be wary Fizz, fairies inbound. Or maybe not. The fact you're using frog army makes me really tempted to use them just because it fits in with their lore so well, but I also have a couple robot armies that might be more thematically correct.
05-25-2015 10:03 AM
Fizzick Offline
smord

[Image: AfTzs5m.png]
Stagneo is a semi-civilized swamp world full of life and rare crystal structures. Its moon, Iactatio, was a massive comet that swung into Stagneo's orbit. Iactatio has an atmosphere of mutating particles that may have affected the evolution of life on Stagneo. Occasional raiding parties sting from Stagneo, but it is unknown whether raiders are independent of Stagneo's governing body or if Stagneo is diplomatically hostile. Raiding parties contain a diverse array of species, and their equipment seems mostly salvaged.
06-03-2015 03:05 PM
Jafhar Offline
Resident fishman

Is there anything we can do about darkening that background pattern? It's really not very spacey.
I wanted to use the dual planets in the bottom left but I couldn't imagine how the moons would not hit the planets/eachother.

[Image: ikkiyrv.png]

Those before us called it Nuemeya, a medium mesoplanet teeming and green with life, and a moon which was once called Bliss. It was one of the few planets considered habitable by pre-terraforming man, and one of the earliest populated. Now not a man walks it's vividly green ground. Bliss is blanketed in a rich brown-green life filled fog, a fog which drowns out light and asphyxiates fauna when condensed by the gravity of Nuemeya, on the hemisphere facing it's parent planet. The hemisphere facing away from Nuemeya is for the most part habitable, apart from the drowning foggy nights and varying gravity. Also bliss has red plants.

Mining operations on mineral rich Bliss was the source of Nuemeya's economic success, heavily varying gravity made mining a challenge, before the realization it could be utilized for transport and green energy production, among other things.

The other moons, Glease 5-663 and Glease 2-30 lay in stark contrast to Nuemeya and Bliss, their atmosphere-less surfaces were once vibrant but no longer hint at life or beauty, instead sit as dead husks, distant echos of the past.

SPRITE FASTER, COLOUR HARDER, PARTICLE OSCILLATE WITH AGILITY.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 04:12 AM by Jafhar.)
06-04-2015 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fizzick Offline
smord

It's actually a blurred picture of a nebula. If you want the psd to mess around with i can give

edit:
pretend this is 3d, there is probably a way the dual planet thing would work. also, planets can crash sometimes
06-04-2015 03:48 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

I wouldn't mind the PSD. Making Space scenes on Photoshop is basically my thing

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
06-04-2015 06:03 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

[Image: e3fd05fe9e.png]

The outlying gas giant formerly known as Serdtse is the home of the CAT race. Composed of cybernetic transhumanoids who have no need for a pressurized environment, they have been strip-mining the inner moon (named Mel'nitsa, by the initial colonists) of their planetary system for raw material to construct a dyson sphere around Serdtse, to provide ample living space for the rapidly-multiplying colonists. The outer moon of the planetary system (formerly named Zvesda, now named KOTzvezda), which initially served as the jumping off point for the jovian colonists in the pre-sphere era, is a massive metropolis that has become dedicated to housing both the sprawling, churning bureaucracy of the CAT race, but and the primary military base from which their starfleets are launched.

While mining operations on Mel'nitsa have yet to conclude, the expansionist and systematic CATburo has begun turning their mono-eyes to the moons of the other planets orbiting within the solar system, seeing potential further conquests that have yet to be seized by other races.

[Image: fb84349cc8.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 01:54 AM by Commander Evil.)
06-05-2015 04:10 AM