Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
P I X E L\W A R S; Concept site layout
KLATTERAL Offline
DAMIJ [ctrl]

Shield P I X E L\W A R S; Concept site layout

Have a read though this one [link] as well...

What I've done here is devised a concept draft for a new site layout to (maybe? hopefully!) coincide with the as-of-yet unconfirmed Picture wars > Pixel Wars name change over.

I've got someone lined up to help work on the CSS and HTML so work can begin once we can all agree (or should I say Chao's agreement) on a final draft, a design dossier for the special the someone and transparent layers are completed.

Below I'll give a rundown of what each component represents, its function and my general reasoning for its art direction. Now, I know this isn't a site- its a forum- but here me out. An integrated blog, wiki, archive and forum are on the agenda here so surly we can think up a way of getting a proper site off the ground for our beloved P\W? Have a gander and tell me what you think.

THIRD DRAFT:
[Image: DcM9nhV.png]

Design direction rundown:
Not much of a change really. Less ambitious. Fuck the blog (for now) and the archive. 'About' and 'Guide' will be displayed within [CONTENT]. Could the background be incorporated into the forum? Who knows.

That dark blue, the [CONTENT] midground if you will, may extent or retract depending on the length of content with the ground acting as the footer.

Trifon made the point of 'WHAT WAR-' being grammatically incorrect. Changed to 'WHICH WAR-'.

Mr.F has made the addition of the pixelated ' \ '. The finishing touch, I feel.

About: http://www.pixelwars.net
Guide: http://www.pixelwars.net/guide
Forum: http://www.pixelwars.net/forum
Wiki: http://picturewars.wikia.com/wiki/Picture_Wars_Wiki

(http://pw.wikia.com/wiki/Picture_Warpedia - Didnt even know this one existed! Nice little history lessons for you all)

SECOND DRAFT:
[Image: ZdaeZ8e.png]

As you can see, a great improvement on first draft. Still has minimal elements but this time with actual background! Delicious, isn't it? I ripped the background from a map The use of Courier works much better then NTR as it has a 'pixel' look to it.

FIRST DRAFT:
[Image: BwKxNiW.png]

I know, I know it looks super fucking minimal and as if we're some kind of newspaper site but as a first draft, hear me out...

This would essentially be the 'Home/Splash' screen for the site. Clean, crisp white. Classic Times New Roman. Why white? Why Times? This is to replicate a new page on paint, on notepad or just a blank piece of paper and with it all the infinite possibilities that come from having the freedom to create absolutely anything that pops to mind.

All maps, all armies, all stories have started with a blank page... so that's my inspiration for the white. The NewTeeRom? I just think it looks classy. Looks a lot more eye-pleasing then font 40 Fixedsys.

Box 1. could display the content for News, About and Guide as wiki, forum and archive would either load another page or link somewhere else.... Although integrating them below would be fucking radical.
2 and 3? Recent forum posts and recent wiki entries respectively? ... Maybe.

The red text is part of the actual layout.

But, after great deliberation, we can all agree that it's shit.
_

Sprites:
The two sprites under the heading could come from a pre-approved list of sprites the community have made and change every time you visit the page/its refreshed. When clicked, it could take you to there respective wiki page. They add just the right amount of flair without over powering the minimal design and it gives first time viewers an idea of what the scale of P\W is but most of all, a taste of our art.

'Brand':
I though "WHICH WAR WILL YOU DRAW?" (formerly 'WHAT') was pretty sick for a tag-line. Of-course P\W isn't all about killing shit and nuking planets but hey- it fits.

"A game of narrative, conflict and small resolution." is very fitting for what we do here. Conflict > Resolution. Makes sense. Then I noticed we work in a small resolution in regards to pixels and our sprites so I added the small.

News:
Imagine a blog being set up to keep people informed about P\W and the pixel art community in general. Not to mention other low-fi games. It would be pretty nifty if it was also about notifying people of exceptional matches that have recently finished. Maybe sheet/lore reviews as well?

It crossed my mind that interviews with pixel artists/writers would be really snazzy. Talking about the inspiration behind their work, what drives them, good practices they've picked up, tips n' tricks, their up coming work, what they would like to see in the future in regards to P\W... stuff like that.

About:
http://www.pixelwars.net may lead to this. The 'home' page if you will.
A brief history of P\W and a short description of what P\W actually is. (Probably just a rip from the guide) Quotes from the community of what P\W means to them? (Maybe short bios on people who run the site? I dunno about that...)

Guide:
HOW TO BOMB THE U.S GOVERMENT- A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE

Forum:
Self explanatory. Would it link back to here? Maybe a fresh start for the forum? Which leads onto...

Wiki:
We've got a wiki if you didn't know.

Archive:
If Chao (Or is it Choco who runs the server?) decided to turn over a new leaf with the forum then we could just stash this place in the archive. If not, then maybe a 'HALL OF FAME' for the greatest ever matches in P\W history.

Your thoughts? CnC? Suggestions? Anything of value to add at all?

Credit where its due:
Hope you don't mind me snatching them.
Left\right,
Jafhar's 'Aquatic Cray Cray'(?)
Synthetic's (Jager's) 'Avonii'
and
Hobbsey's 'Coniferous trees'

Big thanks to you guys, wouldn't look nearly as mesmerizing (and moistening) without you.

[Image: NT210.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 10:42 PM by KLATTERAL.)
02-02-2015 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

RE: P I X E L\W A R S; Clean, Crisp, Functional.

Just a quick question.
Why do you keep making unnecessary huge eyepokey topic names that don't even say anything useful?
I mean, couldn't you call the thread "Let's have a main site" or, "Proposed new site layout", instead of "P I X E L\ W A R S; Clean, Crisp, Functional.", which doesn't even fit and reminds me of Spambots a lot?

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-02-2015 08:30 PM
SniperComZero Offline
Private

omg shut uppppppppppppppppppppppp
02-02-2015 08:47 PM
Mr.Fahrenheit Offline
Commando

Stylistically its a little too minimal for my tastes but w/e.

Only things I'm not sure about design wise is the white, because its fucks up your sense of colors and makes sprites look bad usually, and the times new roman, I think there are a lot of other serif fonts that look better, and are less like "oh I'm in Microsoft Word right now".
02-02-2015 08:51 PM
KLATTERAL Offline
DAMIJ [ctrl]

Your right, Battul. It wasn't very fitting. Its now been changed.

(02-02-2015 08:51 PM)Mr.Fahrenheit Wrote:  [Stylistically its a little too minimal]
[I'm not sure about design wise is the white, because its fucks up your sense of colors and makes sprites look bad usually]

In revision, I agree.

Taking this onboard.
2nd draft. Color, Courier and a background.

E: 2 and a half hours later...
ORIGINAL POST UPDATED
+2nd Draft
+Subject name changed

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 12:20 AM by KLATTERAL.)
02-02-2015 09:12 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

RE: P I X E L\W A R S; concept site layout

That's pretty but unless you've got some CSS skills, nobody's going to make it for you.
I don't have any plans on running a news blog either.
02-03-2015 12:39 AM
KLATTERAL Offline
DAMIJ [ctrl]

(02-03-2015 12:39 AM)Jacquerel Wrote:  That's pretty but unless you've got some CSS skills, nobody's going to make it for you.
I don't have any plans on running a news blog either.

Its funny you say that, actually. I've got a friend who is really looking to sink his teeth into a simple project like this, I'll buy him a pint next weekend. See if I can use my below average skills in persuasion. Fingers crossed, Brothers. Fingers crossed!

I would be more then willing to run the blog as well... in fact, it would be an honor.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 12:55 AM by KLATTERAL.)
02-03-2015 12:50 AM
Hobbesy Offline
Friends are few, indeed.

I'm not entirely sure what a blog for this place would entail.

And, well, I guess I should lay this on now because I have seen this exact thing before. Back when we were first moving to this forum I made a proposition that we move to a forum I was an admin on called Fallout Studios. Formerly it had been a forum dedicated to the development of mods for the Command & Conquer: Generals series, but due to some disagreements between this forum's staff with the most popular mod team there was a direct split between the users and many of the mods moved off. After this the forum sort of began to wind down into a death spiral, with activity and everyone who stayed generally beginning to leave.

It was decided, at one point, that we would do the very same thing you have suggested here. A complete rebranding, and inviting other mods from other games to host themselves there. We had a blog, we had a wiki, and for a short time we gained a few new members and new mods. In the end this didn't change anything, and the core member base had already left. The forum is still around, three or four people post on it, but it will never return to what it was before.

I think if people come here and stay, they will come regardless of what our forum looks like.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 03:59 AM by Hobbesy.)
02-03-2015 03:53 AM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

I just love how Klatteral is so enthusiastic about this whole pw ressurection thing and I'm glad that someone (he) actually took the shit in his hands and is willing to change everything. I guess I hope that he'll come to a rather smashing succes, yet with time and trust, brothers.

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
02-03-2015 04:54 AM
BanditPanda Offline
King Jabroni

I actually really like the IDEA of this, but the way its presented feels alot more like a video game screen or some fancy dancy shindig from some cybermancy shop. the current site is quite functional and rather homely, the one thing I'd REALLY like to see changed with this current site is perhaps some more sprites being presented or a small segment of a match, just to give new comers a quick glance at what they're getting into.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 06:07 AM by BanditPanda.)
02-03-2015 05:55 AM
Jafhar Offline
Resident fishman

I agree, I think it goes too far, it no longer seems practical. And the minimal-ness looks more like a video game menu or a blog than a forum game.

As for the text, try using pw's text style and putting black borders around higher res white pixel text.

And I agree with Hobbesy, from what little I understand of Pw's past gaining members seems to be the main issue however making getting into and understanding pw easier seems like it would help a lot. Appearance changes that drastic aren't going to help.

SPRITE FASTER, COLOUR HARDER, PARTICLE OSCILLATE WITH AGILITY.
02-03-2015 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KLATTERAL Offline
DAMIJ [ctrl]

(02-03-2015 03:53 AM)Hobbesy Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure what a blog for this place would entail.

Well... as stated, but to go indepth.
It would probably initially just start off with "Check out this recently finished match! Its really, really worth your time!" to help new-people get a flavorful mouthful for what we do.<* The greater idea that's scrawled down for it would probably build up to that level of content over a lengthy period of time, once we gain enough new blood to keep monthly(Bi-Weekly?) content looking fresh.

EX [I],
"Glacknar Cult (Sgt.Oblivious) v Psy-Silicone Infection (Trifunk); THE ILLUSTRATIVE MATCH NAME
... has finally drawn to an explosive conclusion!"

The blog posts content would be a short descriptive paragraph of what the match is all about (without spoilers, maybe alluding to them to help with the lure), plus maybe some cropped stills of awesome looking combat/moments/poses from within the match itself. Then a link to the full match on the forum.

(02-03-2015 03:53 AM)Hobbesy Wrote:  And, well, I guess I should lay this on now because I have seen this exact thing before. Back when we were first moving to this forum I made a proposition that we move to a forum I was an admin on called Fallout Studios- *snip* :words:

Tragic story my dear Hobbsey, although this isn't a modding forum, this is a creative community. I can see why a modding forum would trail off and die as you've described. The time it takes for content to be made and implemented (I.E, to play) takes a little (a lot? I would suppose so) longer then here.

The hope is- in regard to PW that- that new people would arrive, get involved over the course of maybe a week of lurking(or however long, I remember lurking FP PW section for less then a day before getting involved) and weekend on and off posting then either continue to lurk or start making content with us. As we nurturer there skills/INNER FIRE then- boom, we've got someone who really gives a fuck about the site and would continue to hone there skills for however long it takes them to move on/intermittently come back or become a veteran/skilled member of the community... that's the idea anyways.

(02-03-2015 03:53 AM)Hobbesy Wrote:  I think if people come here and stay, they will come regardless of what our forum looks like.

Very true. But, saying this, there's nothing wrong with a little flair, finesse, little bit of Ka-Pow , a tad of Zippity-Zow, some bippity-bop is there?<*

(and saying that, I don't mean free-jazz or Batman punches... )

BanditPanda Wrote:the one thing I'd REALLY like to see changed with this current site is perhaps some more sprites being presented or a small segment of a match, just to give new comers a quick glance at what they're getting into.

Noted. See <*x2

02-03-2015 11:10 AM
Battul Offline

Bolter RE: Pixel Wars; concept site layout

(02-03-2015 11:10 AM)KLATTERAL Wrote:  Check out this recently finished match! Its really, really worth your time!
Like we would get to finish any matches more often than one per few years. Honestly saying, I think you're overdoing it. There is not really any need for a blog, not to mention that we don't even have much stuff to put there. We could present some people armies so people could like go to it, watch sprites, read about their fluff and pick who they want to fight with. Except then it would be more like gallery than blog.
(02-03-2015 11:10 AM)KLATTERAL Wrote:  I remember lurking FP PW section for less then a day before getting involved.
I remember lurking PW for like year before joining.
(02-03-2015 11:10 AM)KLATTERAL Wrote:  Very true. But, saying this, there's nothing wrong with a little flair, finesse, little bit of Ka-Pow , a tad of Zippity-Zow, some bippity-bop is there?<*
Do you read yourself? I have -1 idea why would you present "creative advisement" in this way.

Also God Emperor damn it, you still keep the horrendous capslock and space names of threads.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-03-2015 03:15 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

guess what is the way to make the forums more active! it's to be more active you're selve!

there are so many people talking about the THEORY of pixel wars (i do like that name better) who are afaik not in a single match at all. seriously. just start more matches and pixel stuff up. i don't care to join another one of these grand ideas threads again.
02-03-2015 05:00 PM
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

Fizzick, you are wrong. They need finish existing matches, not start new ones!

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
02-03-2015 05:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pookaball Offline
Commando

@Adam:
true.

02-03-2015 05:39 PM
Battul Offline

(02-03-2015 05:09 PM)haribo841 Wrote:  Fizzick, you are wrong. They need finish existing matches, not start new ones!

Like we are ever going to dig those up, find all those non-active players that played them, and because everyone has a match, huh? Not finishing them is something that was troubling PW for like forever, but lack of new matches is something recent.
So we can as well first get some active matches and then finish them.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-03-2015 06:05 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

@Battul
Why dig up the old members when the actual active people can at least start from themselves and their matches

02-03-2015 06:22 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

Whether you are finishing a match or starting a new one is frankly kind of irrelevant in terms of measuring activity. Either way you'll be posting.
Finishing things is definitely nice and to be desired, but I wouldn't get too hung up about it. If you tell someone they can't post anything new until they've finished a match they aren't particularly enthusiastic about, they'll probably just end up posting nothing at all.

And it's not like more topics with recent postdates are going to make us look less active ;)
02-03-2015 07:42 PM
KLATTERAL Offline
DAMIJ [ctrl]

Good news everyone! My friend says if I can devise a design dossier for the new (3rd) draft then hes all in. We're going places real fast, Brothers! Its all up to Chao/Choco (or whoever owns the server/forum) for the go ahead.

OP UPDATED
+Draft 2 design brief.
+Draft 3 and its design brief.

Acknowledging Trifons comment below- good point. Changed accordingly, as well as Mr.F's pixelated ' \ ' contribution

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 12:33 AM by KLATTERAL.)
02-04-2015 09:24 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

RE: P I X E L\W A R S; Concept site layout

Can I just say it's 'Which war', not 'What war'.

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
02-04-2015 10:06 PM
Collective Mind Offline
Commando

RE: P I X E L\W A R S; Concept site layout

A while back I had the idea of making a big google doc-slash-template for advertising on other forums. Here. This could potentially be useful.

[Image: tumblr_m8ppaeeecR1r7l7cko1_400.png]
02-11-2015 01:22 AM