Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Imperial Army of Belogravia returns!
liltimmy Offline
Private

The Imperial Army of Belogravia returns!

[Image: qjVJnrX.png]
shitty logo and all!

Preamble
This army was originally birthed around the end of January 2008 on a similarly grey and dreary Picture Wars forum, now lost to the sands of time. I was 15 and a half with no experience of pixel art or spriting whatsoever, so as you might imagine things looked pretty damn rough. Still, despite my appalling quality of work, I was nonetheless welcomed by the community, and despite its distinctly rickety quality, I guess my little army was received well enough for its then very rare steampunk/gaslamp fantasy theme. The big red steam powered robot with the gatling gun might have helped too. I've played picture wars on and off (mostly off) since then, and for some reason or other I stuck with this army, indeed, I don't think I ever posted another one. Despite my exist from that steampunk phase and how much i like to think I've changed as a person over the last six or so years, I'm still pretty attached to this army. So without further ado, I would like to present possibly one of the longest-running works in progress of Picture Wars history.

Spoiler :
And in case anyone was wondering, here's what the army looked like in 2008:
[Image: aXZDaSh.png]
ew

OVERVIEW
The Imperial Army of Belogravia is a steampunk-themed army - set in a totally anachronistic mid-19th century where the laws of physics are hooey and you can jam a boiler and a few unnecessary gears in just about anything. From gigantic spaceships to tiny flying drones and jetpacks, everything might have been designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel after a few tabs of LSD and an issue of Weird Tales magazine. A hereditary, absolute monarchy somehow rules over a vast area of space using both semi-portable wormholes and volleys of Minié balls. There would even be cavalry charges if I could draw horses. Generally, the army tends towards building a defensive, fortified structure upon landfall before commencing steam-powered mechanised warfare. Often, efforts will be made to conduct some kind of thunderbolts-and-mad-laughter science on missions - after all, what's a brutal imperialistic regime without its fair share of horrible experiments.

UNITS

[Image: UYGhaf4.png]
Between them, Caizar Karl V von Rottlitz and Space-Maharaja Jagatjit Narayan rule vast areas of space, countless planets and suns and command enormous numbers of people and colossal amounts of resources. It is well for them that this is so, for the Belogravian Empire is still in turmoil after the assassination of Caizar Leopold II 16 years ago. The death of the venerable yet still fearsome 'Brass Lion of Moskovy' at the hands of a traitorous Republican who had somehow infiltrated the gigantic Space-Ship of the Line IBN Caizar Leopold I threw the empire into chaos, resulting in a short-lived revival of the ancient Belograv Republic before the intervention of the Space-Maharaja. Only now is the beleaguered Empire beginning to regain its strength and begin enforcing its will of iron upon the cosmos.

Spoiler :
[Image: Y0SVF97.png]
Firstly, the Belogravian Engineering Corps, without whom none of the fanciful contraptions of the Imperial Army would work. Although they are all expected to perform a variety of roles, the engineers are divided into three major groups. In the green overalls, the mechanics, responsible for maintaining machines and any mechanical infrastructure. In the blue jackets, the construction engineers, responsible for building earthworks and defensive structures. Finally, in the snappy waistcoats, the Space-Engineers, the best and brightest of the technical academies of Belogravia working aboard the Space-Maharaja's fleets.

Spoiler :
[Image: LfmrXSX.png]
At the core of the Belogravian army are the Interplanetary Foreign Legion. Their distinctive burgundy uniforms now supplemented with light combat armour, these troops perform the majority of operations carried out by the Empire. Their officers are usually clad in lightweight non-powered body armour, and are renowned for their discipline. Regular troops normally have the new 10mm rifled firearms and may be issued the Mk IX 1kg fragmentation grenade. Others may be assigned defensive or anti-vehicle roles and be given the 13mm machine gun, a formidable weapon that requires setting up to fire.

Spoiler :
[Image: piTLsoo.png]
The most major component in Belogravian expansion under Caizar Leopold II was undoubtedly the refinement of the portal technology that originally kickstarted the Empire's off-world ambitions. Early campaigns were forced to assemble much equipment in-situ, requiring comparatively bulky and temperamental workshops and manufacturing units to be constructed. The miniaturization of portals allowed these to be done away with, allowing transportation of troops from anywhere in the empire. Also pictured is the Mark IVd Automatic Rotary Rifle Sentry.

Spoiler :
[Image: eTbICxX.png]
The pride of the resurgent empire, the latest models of light armoured fighting vehicles are truly formidable machines, and enormous improvements over their predecessors. The Gürteltier class light tank mounts a variety of weapons, commonly the short-barreled 37mm cannon. The 22mm cannon on the Storch bipedal combat platform is likewise a ferocious weapon in the correct circumstances.

IRREGULARS

Spoiler :
[Image: nNaA1Ic.png]
Field scientists often accompany detachments of Imperial soldiers. Often, they too will be accompanied by special forces from the Imperial Institute of the Sciences - soldiers armed with energy weapons and anti-chemical protections, or more rarely the results of human experimentation such as 'Big Georg' mutants, creatures of immense strength and a surprising degree of cunning.

Spoiler :
[Image: s0WsZMB.png]
Although the array of special legions in the Imperial Army has diminished since the loss of many systems during the revolution and counter-revolution, the Empire still makes great use of soldiers from far-flung parts of the empire.

Addendum:
this is all far from finished, but i felt that I'd left it far too long to create a thread for my re-vamped army.

Far too old for MSPaint toy soldiers since 01/01/08
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 03:48 PM by liltimmy.)
12-02-2014 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pookaball Offline
Commando

RE: The Imperial Army of Belogravia returns!

I really like your style, but the poses of guys look too "stiff" :o
I think you've already been told that legs shouldn't be straight and need to be sort of a little bent. Then your guys' hands look strange, I don't know how to explain this. Even the chests shouldn't be like rectangles, I think...
Other than that, your army is very cool!!!!

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
12-04-2014 10:13 PM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Like Pooka said, these guys are kinda stiff, obviously they cannot look like sticks that's why you should make them more lean lest make them look like easy to have their bones broken thin guys. I have noticed you are slightly leaning into steampunk zone, it's rather creative move and I like it. Though, in my opinion you should try working a little bit on glow(s) and shadings on your vehicles/mechs, of course.

"My half ass idea just went whole."
Spoiler: Don't click plis.
[Image: B96YP8I.jpg]
Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
12-08-2014 05:48 PM
liltimmy Offline
Private

Yeah, I've always struggled with posing and the proportions of my sprites (Before their legs were straight they just looked broken lol.) Partially, it's just lack of practise (and maybe a but of laziness), partially it's my ongoing quest to make an army that both looks good but is also stylised and distinctive enough to stand out from the crowd. Lighting and glows are probably another weak point, it's actually only very recently that I started using image editing software where it's relatively easy to experiment along those lines, previously I was always a hardcore MSPaint user, which probably showed on the colours and even more rudimentary shading on my old units. The army, of course, is one of those eternal works-in-progress so it's anybody's guess what I decide to work on next.

Thanks for commenting though, it's always nice to hear opinions on your work, especially when (as in this case) it's something that's been evolving for such a long time.

My current plants (beyond the endless process of minor edits to things as they come and go) are (in roughly this order) as follows:

- complete the descriptions in this thread. As it stands the fluff is pretty bare-bones compared to what I've written in the past, the mercenary units especially are poorly done-by. This isn't only a large army with a lot of units, it's one that originally came complete with a detailed back-story and 'historical' units and art, both as lore and as taken from past matches.

- Finish work on the space navy. I admit I already have the units I'm realistically going to use in a normal battle finished, but I really do want to re-create the very large or special-purpose spacecraft I created back in the day. I suppose I might also want to make radically scaled-down versions for what seems to be the current iteration of space-pw.

- Overhaul the large factory building and heavy vehicles. Although very large units were rarely used even in PW's halcyon days, it's nice to have them around. My steam-powered giant robots were probably the most popular of all the sprites I made, particularly the green artillery robot, and I'd dearly like to update those. The large unit factory was a stopgap sprite that I never liked and always meant to replace, it was ugly and didn't fit within the philosophy or lore of the army. The steam-powered tank also needs work because it's actually a modified sprite that was made on request for me back when I really sucked at pixel art by pie-boy. It's kind of cool but doesn't fit the look of my army any more.

- I really need to work on my bases. I've always made them ad-hoc and as such they're usually bland, fairly haphazard affairs. I've always wanted to create a modular set of base parts so I can make good-looking bases that actually fit their purpose, take less work to create in a match - and are filled with brass greebling, of course.

- Back in the day it was not entirely uncommon for people to make 'civilian' units for their armies - not just medics and engineers but straight-up noncombatants and non-military installations. This was mostly for roleplaying applications, although in certain matches with a 'survival' or 'outpost' feel it was cool to have units who fed the soldiers, made ammunition and that kind of thing.

- The long term goal of all this is to get my army in a state where I can do something I've always wanted to do - begin and carry out a Farm match using the fluff I've come up with over the years. Farm matches have never been common but, like a lot of more esoteric match types, they seem to be all but extinct now. I want to revive them, because they're a fun exercise in writing and drawing and helpfully, can be done entirely at one's own pace. With this place's level of activity being what it is I think that forms of match like the farm and sandbox, which aren't so dependent on consistently committed behavior between a set group of players, make a lot of sense in making the forum look more lively.

12-10-2014 03:50 AM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

I used to have an idea for a steampunk army as well.
wanna match me when I make one?
*throws glove

12-10-2014 06:17 AM
liltimmy Offline
Private

let's do it

12-13-2014 10:46 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

http://www.nam.ac.uk/images/exhibitions/...1382357995
this is some stereotypical caucassian clothes circa 1900, I thought you'd want to use it some time.

12-14-2014 08:15 AM
liltimmy Offline
Private

why thanks :3 Saved it for future reference :)

12-14-2014 02:13 PM
liltimmy Offline
Private

[Image: v33otWk.png]

lookit new mans

05-07-2015 02:44 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

They may or may not look like they are leaned back, due to the back leg placement in the standing sprites.

05-08-2015 02:30 AM
liltimmy Offline
Private

next army i make is going to have no limbs i swear

E:

i mean i have limbs why is it so hard for me to draw them aaaaah

05-09-2015 11:10 PM
Ryteth Offline
(aka Jager) Forum Moderator

Nah, they don't look like they're leaning back. At least not to me. I think the legs should be a little taller and the torso a little shorter though.

[Image: 3dmsrbh][Image: R3PBvyl.png][Image: WyBNV.gif][Image: JLPOu.gif]
05-14-2015 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply