Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
[Sandbox] Swampland Capers
liltimmy Offline
Private

RE: [Sandbox] Swampland Capers

[Image: n2ivTMQ.png]

'Zat aircraft is not ours, I believe it may hail from somewhere beyond zis temple mount. It is not ov a type I am familiar with so I must conjecture zat it is operated by a group unknown to either ov us. It does not zeem interested in firing on us quite yet, at least.'
The engineer continues his work as he speaks 'Vell, Gunter, be as it may, zer Vizekapitan is already negotiatink vid some giant pussycats. Zey seem pretty pushy and i think zat black dome iz their spacecraft. I vill tell zer Vizekapitan after he iz finished, you go back and tell these men about these overgrown kittens.'

The mechanic runs back and picks up his tools, resuming his work from before as the scout parleys with these foreigners. 'Saucer?' The scout strokes his chin 'It is not vid us, save for a few allies ve lost contact vid many years ago, I hev never known ony of our operatives to use flying saucers.'

Meanwhile, a dark blob appears in the sky, growing larger as time passes. As it becomes clearer, a parachute opens above it. This is the drop-crate of supplies scheduled to arrive after the Vizekapitan established a base, within it there should hopefully include a few basic amenities for the fledgeling base

Far too old for MSPaint toy soldiers since 01/01/08
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 04:23 PM by liltimmy.)
12-04-2014 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

(12-03-2014 10:58 PM)Propman Wrote:  It should be noted that most of the IoM's overpowered weapons are either the domain of the Imperial Navy or Space Marine Chapters; for instance, Leman Russes are anywhere between really, really poorly made things that would be matched by a T-55 (if they're made out of just steel and composites) to on-par with a 4th generation MBT assuming that you make them out of ceramite and adamantium like the STC specifies, while their ballistic vests are likewise similar to modern ballistic vests, if modern ballistic vests didn't crumple to uselessness after being hit more then twice.
But then there is shit like Baneblades. It could drive over any modern tank with relative ease. And multiple turrets on such big tank actually make some sense. Also Leman Russes could be even better than 4th Gen MTBs because i don't think that their armor protects well against lasers, melta-weaponry or plasma.
(12-03-2014 10:58 PM)Propman Wrote:  floating guardsman has no cover while being targeted by multiple shooters
As for that dillema, they are shooting blindly, and he is not hovering, but flying, and for now only his head is in firing zone of those guys.
(12-03-2014 10:58 PM)Propman Wrote:  Eh, guess I'll stick with it.
Good. Expect Soronitas. Or Valkyries. Or more Elysians jumping face first into battle. Or Spess Mareens. Grav-Baneblades. Orbital Bombardments. Rough Riders. Kriegers drilling their way from bottom. Squats Angry Commissars.
There are so many posibilities i can't decide! D:

A New Oscillation
1999-????
12-04-2014 04:36 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

[Image: EzhyQq7.png]
The mortar shell reaches top ot its ballistic trajectory and unfolds, transforming into a recon UAV. Almost instantly the drone detects vehicles below, their bright camouflage seems completely not suited for green swamp.
Mrrshan commander nods to Belogravian officer as response to his words and begins to observe construction works performed by Belogravian engineer when he gets an urgent transmission form lander pilot. Commander eyes re glowing green light for a moment, his fangs are briefly seen as he grins predatory while listening to the news. A group of armored vehicles nearby: a valid target, definitely good objective to sharpen their claws of.
[Commander] Herr Officier, our drone found a military convoy to the east of that location. I am sure you should be aware of this. I'm relocating my troops to investigate and protect area if necessary and I don't mind if your men will join us in case of something go bad.

And the things DEFINITELY will go bad, he thinks to himself.
He shouts orders and all his fellows are sprinting to new positions.

(12-04-2014 04:36 PM)Battul Wrote:  But then there is shit like Baneblades. It could drive over any modern tank with relative ease. And multiple turrets on such big tank actually make some sense. Also Leman Russes could be even better than 4th Gen MTBs because i don't think that their armor protects well against lasers, melta-weaponry or plasma.
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but this discussion is pointless. I, personally, mostly agree with Propman, modern armies are much better suited for full-scale war than Imperial Guard with all its glory, except the space ships. However, this is a match thread and such discussion here is a bit off. Maybe I should make a thread in Discussions for that?

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 06:00 PM by Stefman.)
12-04-2014 05:28 PM
Battul Offline

(12-04-2014 05:28 PM)Stefman Wrote:  Sorry to interrupt you guys, but this discussion is pointless. I, personally, mostly agree with Propman, modern armies are much better suited for full-scale war than Imperial Guard with all its glory, except the space ships. However, this is a match thread and such discussion here is a bit off. Maybe I should make a thread in Discussions for that?
It's like comparing submarines and aircraft carriers dreadnoughts, but it gives us a reference (that might come in handy in future). Also consider that in our present state (which got a lot better actually) a bit of offtopic wouldn't really hurt IMO. And I would love to get back on topic (shooting people) but sadly I have to wait on Denmen.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
12-04-2014 06:05 PM
Hobbesy Offline
Friends are few, indeed.

(12-03-2014 05:54 PM)Battul Wrote:  I was just asking if those things spew enough bullets for you to expect hitting me.

Ah, sorry, there has been a misunderstanding then. The way you phrased it made it seem like you were asking something else. I'll take my sarcasm down a notch.

I wouldn't worry too much about power gaming, I just normally let people take their hits as they please. I didn't expect to hit your guys, especially since they're flying and all.
12-04-2014 06:43 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

(12-04-2014 06:05 PM)Battul Wrote:  Also consider that in our present state (which got a lot better actually) a bit of offtopic wouldn't really hurt IMO. And I would love to get back on topic (shooting people) but sadly I have to wait on Denmen.
Well, if offtopic will help to keep his match active then God bless it! As for waiting for less active players I propose a rule that is someone isn't active for, let's say a day, then others could attack/act with their units without reaction from inactive player. So, basically, shoot and hit/kill/miss inactive units in your own turn.

12-04-2014 07:10 PM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

That is perhaps not a bad idea, to make sure that even if it's just one of us left in the tread, that this game might actually get completed eventually. We'll have to see how the next few pages fare.
12-04-2014 07:35 PM
Battul Offline

Kinda unfair, but i dont really feel like starting another sandbox just because one person bailed. But maybe more than a day... or maybe we should start giving someone control over your units if we know that we won't be active for a while.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
12-04-2014 07:49 PM
Denmen707 Offline
Veteran

[Image: VbOldAB.png]
Jean rams the steel door one more time and with all her momentum bursts through falling to the ground. Meanwhile Chuck turns the gun on himself, his hands trembling and his will to live is banging in the back of his head. He wants to live, but his body won't let him.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 08:47 PM by Denmen707.)
12-04-2014 08:31 PM
liltimmy Offline
Private

to be fair, if someone returns after a prolonged leave and their units have been wiped out, I don't think it's unreasonable to allow them to pop back in with fresh units somewhere free on the map. Even when picture wars was considerably more active, it was necessary to clean up a few abandoned armies off a sandbox map.

12-05-2014 09:38 AM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

In that case, they can join back anytime assuming that they haven't wiped three times (which is rather difficult to do; I think I've only ever seen one match where somebody was eliminated from the map). Still, I won't implement the turn limit until it becomes clear that someone is gone for a long time and it needs to be done to keep the match flowing.
12-05-2014 05:15 PM
Battul Offline

Claire.
(Also according to my calculations Denmen's turn is 30th since i joined. Da Codecks astartees nehmes this maneuvah Steel Rehn!)
EDIT: Actually i'll wait until Propman responds to me how his guns work. I recall he had stuff like actual rules for them.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 07:01 PM by Battul.)
12-05-2014 06:52 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

So, I now could conclude that one inactive person is effectively killing the whole match.

12-06-2014 10:03 AM
Battul Offline

Claire.
[Image: xGoUhv7.png]
After getting shoot in leg, guardsman not only got under fire from back, which caused him to drop his gun, but also lost control over his grav-pack. Soon, he will proably crash into ground few kilometers away, but for now he was screaming prayers to God Emperor. Meanwhile, all other guardsman took their shoots, Sergeant, after falling to ground, fired into that bunch of shiny Xenos. To his suprise, they seemed to use archaic version of holy bolter. This certainly required attention of Inquisitor.
Wilhelm was grateful that this heretic, proably woman, but with them you can never be sure, cooperated with him and in act of mercy he ended her miserable life(*) as traitor. The guy in front of him was crying on floor. Emperor himself must have shown him how evil he was and this caused him to become emotional wreck. He heard more shoots, and the guy carrying meltagun started to shout something into vox-caster while panically trying to empty his laspistol into incoming forces. Soon, he should take cover in ship and try to contact someone nearby. It was a stupid decision to leave their long range vox-caster in Tauros.
(*) Well, i am not sure but i suppose you can't really stop a point blank shoot from lasgun. Feel free to correct me though. Also, Propman, since your tank shoots have no effect on me YET, edit them yourself because i still have no idea how.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 01:59 PM by Battul.)
12-06-2014 10:50 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

[Image: uB1gwuu.png]
Support troops are gathering near downed tree while frontline trooper enters muddy pond, shuddering in disgust. He sees something bright behind the trees and aims his weapon on it.
UAV flies further, not noticing a flock of fairies above it. The lander pilot sees a gunfight happening further to the east trough drone's sensors, but distance is too large to identify who is shooting there. Nevertheless, already gained data is enough for a firing solution. Second mortar appears from its hatch and they both are opening fire.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 03:05 PM by Stefman.)
12-06-2014 02:09 PM
Battul Offline

(12-06-2014 10:03 AM)Stefman Wrote:  So, I now could conclude that one inactive person is effectively killing the whole match.
Stefman Wrote:Declare
Wait, were you waiting for me or something?

A New Oscillation
1999-????
12-06-2014 02:19 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

I was waithing either your turn or when I could be allowed to go (24hrs until my last post AFAIR). However, you said that you are waiting info from Propman so, basically he was the person who stall the whole match, right?

12-06-2014 03:38 PM
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

emm i reinstaled my win8 to win7 and i downloaded good old win xp/98 (i dont need bettur) paint so i can join (and get ban from Jager :p) but i am lazy so Pooks is mad as hell butt i try to...

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
12-06-2014 10:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Propman Offline
Noodles.

Tis' the issue that arises when one lives in an obscure time zone. Anyway, declaring.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 02:39 AM by Propman.)
12-06-2014 10:31 PM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHKuSO_GFis

[Image: mkJ4Vuz.png]

"Oooo, everyone, I spotted something else just pass bellow us! I think it's some sort of robot!"
High in the skies, the pig-tailed ice fairy had noticed the observation drone pass bellow her and was overtaken by her natural curiosity as she attempted to trail behind. Her companions spent about a few seconds more arguing before noticing and giving chase, neglecting the bellow point of their supposed brothers in arms being under attack. "Wait, where are you going!?" cried the fairy in the maid outfit, who gave chase along with the rest of the group.

Back on the ground, a sole guardsman, relatively humble and insignificant in his own element, equated to quite a formidable threat against the in-comparison fledgling fey military as the charged round of his lasweapon ripped through the thin side armour laden on the defending chicken tank, releasing a lash of superheated shrapnel which teared into Squash from the side, incapacitating and likely mortally wounding him as an explosion resulting from the metal ionizing tossed him onto the ground like a rag doll. Watching his compatriot get maimed caused the inexperienced Gum to pause and watch in a combination of awe and horror, his superior unable to tell him to continue firing in the heat of action, himself occupied in laying down suppressive fire. By then, Blackweed took his fallen ally's position and fired a shot at the suited flying man in the distance, determined to put him down before he compromised their returning home. The grenadier, noticing that somehow he had not been shot by the towering space man, wasted no opportunity to lob an ice bomb into the soldier's direction.

Likewise, the front tank, though grazed and now compromised as a chunk of its armour was missing, was no less functional as a weapons platform, and continued to fire a stream of energy bullets into the direction of the alien foe, each pellet accelerating into the air in an impending wave. As soon as the guardsmen got into view, the second tank halted and fired its first salvo, releasing a set of bullets on its own.

The Lucky No. 9 noticed not the humongous felids stalking it from behind, and continued to advance towards its compatriots as it loudly splashed into the pond, the airtight seals holding true as it clumsily waded through the water. Its flag moved with the wind, which lightly blew from the east.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 05:52 AM by Propman.)
12-07-2014 02:39 AM
Denmen707 Offline
Veteran

[Image: btygZ9A.png]
Chuck loses to his body, shooting, not once but three times into his own mouth, splattering his brains all over the wall behind him.

Deep from within the ship a voice bellows: "Four brave souls have perished, enough chaos has been sown! I will return to my greater form." The ship shakes from the power of the voice, the water rippling from it's bass.
[Image: T6qjgaY.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 12:05 PM by Denmen707.)
12-07-2014 11:42 AM
SpartanApples Offline
Government Hooker

I should probably declare.

So... declare.

[Image: Lzyahc.png]

The west wing of the temple shakes, as the IFV wedges itself in the entrance. Of course this doesn't go unnoticed as it rudely interrupts the soldiers conversation on the opposite side of the temple. The Vertibird is given orders to attack, and fires a missile at the far vehicle. The Sergeant and sniper run outside to get a better view, and the Securitron and other soldier prepare to fire.

-#-[PROTECTED AREA COMPROMISED. YOU AND I ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SAFETY]-#-

In the radio room, the techie radios for help. "This is swampland outpost 001. There are numerous forces in the vicinity and our base is under attack. Requesting support."
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 01:36 PM by SpartanApples.)
12-07-2014 12:22 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

[Image: PMaXCec.png]
Recon drone flies further, observing the carnage below. While optical equipment is barely sees something through dense vegetation, infrared sensors are picking multiple sources of intense heat radiation, a typical picture for intensive combat. Drone climbs higher and finally reaches good position to take some pictures.
[Pilot] Sir, we got another company further to the east! I got visual: a large armored vehicle whith dozen of armed men nearby! Also, there's another group of humans, they seem to defend some kind of structure from first team. I could see three of them.. Wow! Second group is using some sort of high-caliber hand weapon, my infrared sensors have gone mad! Also I swear that one of them is flying above the ground...

Mrrshan commander hastily crosses swampy lake at this time. When he reaches large trees on the other shore, he responds:
[Commander] Damn, I'd bet that this second group, let's call them Beta instead of first team with vehicle, which we'll designate as Alpha, is equipped with some hi-tech gear! Keep watching on those two.
[Pilot] Roger, sir.
Machinegunner can't get decent line of sight from his position and follows commander. However, he decides to cross the water by climbing on a fallen tree.
Sniper's optical sight gives him a bit better picture, but when the white vehicle starts to move, it becomes covered with hilltop. Only crewman's head, peeking from hatch is still visible, so sniper tries get him.

Another note about Mrrshan military: while their constitution allows them to carry heavier loads than humans, their weapons are larger, heavier and using more powerful ammunition than human equivalents. So, for example, an assault rifle uses ammunition which is almost as powerful as human heavy machine gun round. In case of sniper rifles this means that its rounds are comprarable to thouse used in light autocannons or heavy anti-material rifles.

Still, chances to hit the target are relatively small due to target's small size and overall poor visibility.
Mortar rounds are passing top of their trajectories and now falling down. While they both armed with regular fragmentation payload, they still could do some damage to lightly armored targets in case of close hits. Both mortar launchers are reloading for another salvo.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 03:07 PM by Stefman.)
12-07-2014 01:14 PM
liltimmy Offline
Private

i won't be able to post until tomorrow unfortunately, I'm GMing a GURPS group tonight. Don't worry, I'll try and get a turn in as early as I can tomorrow.

12-07-2014 05:38 PM
SpartanApples Offline
Government Hooker

That's no problem dude :)
12-07-2014 06:55 PM