Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2 Average
Sprite Workshop
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

RE: Sprite Workshop

The ship looks good, but too bright with too much highly contrast details. It lacks proper grim appearance that true Imperium Navy vessel should have. Also, it could use some battle damage and weathering. But, overall, the sprite is good, indeed.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
05-03-2015 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

(05-03-2015 11:12 AM)Stefman Wrote:  The ship looks good, but too bright with too much highly contrast details. It lacks proper grim appearance that true Imperium Navy vessel should have. Also, it could use some battle damage and weathering. But, overall, the sprite is good, indeed.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
PEOPLE DECIDE
Jafhar is telling me on IRC that it's too dark, you are telling me it's too bright.
Just... arghhh.

(also no battle damage because I get battle damage from actual battles, and weathering... well, in space?)

A New Oscillation
1999-????
05-03-2015 11:15 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Well, I base my opinion about brightness on the small fact: bright objects are either emitting light by themselves, or reflecting light from nearby light source like a star. In case of your ship, it looks like it emits light which looks just wrong for me.
As for weathering in space, here's another little fact: the space isn't actually empty. It is filled with dust, gases and small particles. Just look here.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
05-03-2015 11:23 AM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

I hate you all

A New Oscillation
1999-????
05-03-2015 11:32 AM
Jafhar Offline
Resident fishman

I said the green was too dark fyi. It blends into the background #FFF black.

SPRITE FASTER, COLOUR HARDER, PARTICLE OSCILLATE WITH AGILITY.
05-03-2015 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

I like the ship as-is, although it might benefit from a slightly brighter shade of green, too.

[Image: fb84349cc8.png]
05-06-2015 07:57 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

y'all fuckers need hue shifting
05-07-2015 05:46 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

Ah, the thing nobody is sure why they should use, but one that improves everything after it is used.

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
05-08-2015 02:24 AM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

(05-03-2015 11:32 AM)Battul Wrote:  I hate you all
And we love you.

"My half ass idea just went whole."
Spoiler: Don't click plis.
[Image: B96YP8I.jpg]
Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
05-08-2015 07:11 AM
Fizzick Offline
smord

(05-08-2015 02:24 AM)Pookaball Wrote:  Ah, the thing nobody is sure why they should use, but one that improves everything after it is used.

actually, there are a few ways it can be effective which are relatively easy to explain.

in real life, there are subtle ambient colors to light and shadow. on a sunny day outdoors, the direct light from the sun has a somewhat yellow hue, which makes all the 'highlights' on objects in direct sun shift the object toward yellow. meanwhile, in the shade of a tree, blue ambient light from the sky lights up the shadows slightly with a blue color. thus, the shadows are blue and the lights are yellow. so there is an element of realism to hue shifting.

our eyes are drawn to interesting color combinations like complimentary colors. (in the previous case, blue/yellow~orange are more or less complimentary) so by using color theory not in just the 'actual' colors but also in the colors of light and shadow, you create appeal

by giving light/shadow in a piece unifying colors, you create harmony within itself and everything comes together a little better. making it all look like it belongs together

this is really rough because i'm typing fast and not proof reading but those are some ideas AngerAnger):<
05-08-2015 04:12 PM