Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2 Average
Sprite Workshop
liltimmy Offline
Private

RE: Sprite Workshop

Hah, I'm flattered that I'm 'high priority'. Yeah I see what you're doing there, thanks a lot. I think what I'll probably do over the next few days is try and make a synthesis of the tips and stuff you've given me and my own personal preferences when it comes to pixel mans (even if it does make it a bit difficult due to the weird proportions)

E:
also I know literally everyone disagrees with me but I'm keeping the quilted jackets b/c i'm a contrary bastard who eats and lives filth

Far too old for MSPaint toy soldiers since 01/01/08
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 06:25 PM by liltimmy.)
12-18-2014 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pookaball Offline
Commando

Eh you're priority because I'm "soon" to have a match with you o:
I also focused mainly on where the limbs should be rather than visual details of yer guys, so I probably have left out a belt or a strap or something!!

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 06:53 PM by Pookaball.)
12-18-2014 06:49 PM
Fizzick Offline
smord

Editing sprites should be standard practice in the WIP thread and even in people's army threads! People shouldn't only do this in one little spot.

[Image: Az7Xl0F.png]
I will try to list the changes but they are many!
First things first, always work on a 50 lum 0 saturation background. This ensures the sprite will be visible on the most backgrounds. Typically, any shade which touches the border of the sprite will be a notable amount lighter or darker (not just in luminosity) than the grey. If the sprite is mostly brighter than the grey, it will be less visible on lighter backgrounds and vice versa.
Also take note of the differences in Lum, Sat and HUE between my and your colors.

You had two very similar skin tones which were completely indistinguishable at 1x zoom. I actually only noticed it when I filled my screen with it.
I separated those into your original skin tone, a shade color that I used to imply the neck and soften the border between the hat and the head, and a highlight which I used to imply cheeks, chin and nose. It doesn't go to the forehead because that would be shaded by the hat.
I changed the weird red colors. They are low contrast to eachother, but different enough to not appear flat. The darker shade is slightly purple, and both shades are more on the purple side of red to create a little more contrast between them and the desaturated orange which makes up the brown shades.

I made the gun shades a dark low sat blue and a bright low sat blue. Metal shades usually have a lot of contrast.

I widened the legs in both stances. Center of gravity can be visualized as a cone.

[Image: kkUiPvz.png]
Pookaball's edit on the left is leaning too far to the right. In a relaxed and balanced position one has their center of gravity directly between their feet. In a position where one is one one foot, the center of gravity is right on that foot. If the center of gravity moved away from that foot and the other foot does not land to carry the weight, something falls. i laugh
also in the bent stance his left knee bends inward.
[Image: OBwzkOl.png]
In my edit the right knee bend out more on both sprites and the shooting sprite actually goes lower when he bends his knees. If you bend your knee in real life you can see that your body goes downwards.

Also, I made limbs behind the body use the dark shade and mid shade, and most things in front of those use mostly mid shade and bright shade with a little dark for contrast.

Sorry if my critique is a little long winded or seems high and mighty. My words carry no authority and I only want to explain my logic, rather than present a modified sprite with no comments.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 07:22 PM by Fizzick.)
12-18-2014 07:19 PM
liltimmy Offline
Private

yeah, I'm working on them now and I did change the stances to look more stable I guess. Honestly, I still don't quite feel the narrower legs, I guess I really do have a preference for blocky things huh. Regardless I'm trying to find something that makes me happy and doesnt unduly put anyone out of joint . I'm experimenting with the right skin tone right now (although I have a lot of different ones I plan to use now since it's established by this point that I definitely have a multi-ethnic army and all) The red I changed pretty much immediately, literally the only reason it was like that is because I was far too forgetful and shit to remember to do it. The brass armour stays, however. Maybe it is a bit bright for some but polished brass is pretty shiny irl so I figure I'm good on that one. Irt's not like 19th century uniforms were known for restraint anyway. Thank you very much, however, I am putting this stuff down in work as we type. The only REAL bother here is that I basically have to re-work all my different standard human units - and I have a LOT of civilians, noncombatants, mercenaries and special regiments by this point ;_;

Far too old for MSPaint toy soldiers since 01/01/08
12-18-2014 08:40 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

Fizzick's edit is absolutely majestic once again, except I don't like using THREE shades of skin tone if there is only the head/face and hands that are revealed. I think if he had muscle man with no shirts or something you could have three tones.
Also I didn't really intend to make the knee look like it's bent and that's why it looks like it bends inward. You can probably see by the white lines that I wanted to make it look like he just moved his thigh or something. I don't know anatomy or whatever though!
Also now that Fizzick said it, maybe this thread is actually another WIP thread? What if we don't need it???

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 10:33 AM by Pookaball.)
12-19-2014 02:24 AM
Fizzick Offline
smord

The darkest shade of skin could be done away with, but I think it adds enough to be justifiable if used in the right way.
Really we should just do edits in the WIP thread.
12-19-2014 03:38 AM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

The third tone is more of a general flesh tone that can also be used for representing misc. details when warranted; this is seen in my fairy sprites, where their mouths generally use both the second and third shades, which are also used for the part of their foreheads directly under their hair and their necks respectively. Another use is shifting the unit's tones around in darkened areas, with the third tone representing the second tone, and the second tone representing the first. It's not required for all sprites, such as those mostly concealed in armour, but having a third tone in a unit's pallet helps for some situations.
12-19-2014 08:10 AM
DJTrickyM Offline
Recruit

(08-02-2014 07:45 PM)haribo841 Wrote:  One of the most inspiring, if grammatically incorrect, speeches i have ever heard.

I joined this place long ago, discouraged by my lack of art skills, and some not so nice criticizm...

I returned with a new idea...but was reminded of my spriting failures and quit once again...

Now, i come back, with inspiration from the game "crawl" and a sprite program named "aseprite" and im determined to do battles with this man, on his maps! My army (wip) is an army of DUNGEON CRAWLERS! Skeletons, spiders, traps, and more! (btw, look at the youtube videos of crawl, like crawl entry 23, read this in that voice)

For too long, ive tried to play this on paper, and for too long people ignored my rules, drew a nuke, and scribbled all over the paper....

I wish you good luck, once my horde arrives... *fiendish laughter*

join my steam group! madness combat lovers corp! we all love madness combat!
01-25-2015 04:40 AM
Propman Offline
Noodles.

You mean Stone Soup? I had a similar idea at one point, but using Elona as a base instead. Looking forward to see the fruit of your labours! And it's not like we're being picky with users at this point, what with us having less then 10 active as the norm now a days.
01-25-2015 05:28 AM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Hm... Mind one of you borrowing me a one simple guy in 1x1 scale? I need it for size reference when creating a new army, totally planning on returning to my favourite sprite fighting. And, a palette would also be appreciated, it's been a while since I were spriting armies, but I wanna do it again and I lost every progress and shit...

"My half ass idea just went whole."
Spoiler: Don't click plis.
[Image: B96YP8I.jpg]
Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
04-24-2015 05:04 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

Here you go mate:
[Image: RSIrZA.png]

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
04-24-2015 05:16 PM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Danke, that should help me alot.

Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015 06:05 PM by Dawisko.)
04-24-2015 05:18 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

Is this a fucking joke or I'm missing something

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 06:15 PM by Pookaball.)
04-25-2015 11:55 AM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

No, this is 1px scale for Pixel Wars. 1px scale is pretty easy though some find it lacking in detail.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
04-25-2015 11:59 AM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

(04-25-2015 11:59 AM)Battul Wrote:  No, this is 1px scale for Pixel Wars. 1px scale is pretty easy though some find it lacking in detail.

What he said. Hurr hurr.

[Image: 5sTVqxf.png]
Posting my little penguin here because I think something's off in it, I wonder if anyone could help me out with this... Or it's fine the way it is?

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 12:11 PM by Dawisko.)
04-25-2015 12:04 PM
BanditPanda Offline
King Jabroni

[Image: 80GSg0y.png]

?
04-26-2015 03:25 AM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Oh gosh, yes! I love it, thank you so much ;u;
Now I can continue my penguin forces progress! I shall get a suitable palette for my laser cannons these little ones are gonna handle and devastate enemies with! HURR HURRR HHURRR HURRR

04-26-2015 09:26 AM
BanditPanda Offline
King Jabroni

Hahaha, I'm glad you like it!

I'd also love to see those beautiful lasers in action ;D
04-26-2015 11:47 AM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

[Image: zj5Ym9x.png]
Here's the progress :3
I think I should fix the level at which they're holding the lasers.

Edit: it makes their arms look bit too long, shiet

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 12:14 PM by Dawisko.)
04-26-2015 12:05 PM
BanditPanda Offline
King Jabroni

Looks awesome already!
I really love that little red beret/commissar hat they've got, its so fucking cute ;=;
04-26-2015 12:39 PM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Imagine them marching through maps in swarms ;u;
I'm considering giving them some body armor, because they are slightly too defenseless without any armor

04-26-2015 01:05 PM
Jafhar Offline
Resident fishman

[Image: uHTAtVP.png]

I think a lot can be done with them at the moment, you should start by increasing the contrast between the black and dark grey (Penguins are generally black and white) and making the transition between the colours less smooth imo. Quality work so far.

Edit: Added a few poses because I have nothing better to do with my time.

I assume constructive criticism is allowed as well as the edits?

SPRITE FASTER, COLOUR HARDER, PARTICLE OSCILLATE WITH AGILITY.
04-26-2015 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

Oh, well.... Still, I'm more used to humans but thought that penguins might be fun addition to army.

04-26-2015 02:27 PM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

Hey, I wanted to do a christmas-themed army with penguins included, and I guess if I do, we shall have to witness a battle that is going to determine whose cute army is most monstrous.

04-26-2015 03:42 PM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

WIP
[Image: ckJgzfL.png]
Whaddyaguysthink?
Isin't it too dark? Also can someone with tools check if i'm actually using only those colors I should?
EDIT:
[Image: PJXRmMG.png]
EDIT2:
[Image: swNLXAi.png]
[Image: WsNSvaD.jpg]

A New Oscillation
1999-????
05-03-2015 09:58 AM