Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Staff Elections: Stage One
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

Staff Elections: Stage One

Ok I guess you've had long enough to think about it. I hope you didn't forget, I'm stepping down and need someone to assume my largely ceremonial position.
Which of you thinks you'd be good at being me?

How I think this is going to work is that you, the potential applicants, have a couple of weeks to make your case in this topic as to why you'd be good at being an administrator, if you have any plans for things you'd end up doing if elected and generally why people should vote for you. Preferably in one post.

Some time next month, we'll hopefully have more than two people willing to take on some responsibility. I'm still unsure whether it'd be better to have a private or public poll (one obviously eliminates people just voting with the crowd, but the other lets you provide actual reasons which I feel are more meaningful than just a +1) but it will be up to the will of the people to decide who ends up as your new figurehead.
And then if there's two people left over, we conveniently also need two more global moderators. Wow.

So that's pretty simple right? Do I need to tell you anything else?
As I'm not actually involved in the poll at all apart from counting the results, I'm going to be voting to, so, while I work on fixing the subscription system... convince me as to why you'll be a better me than I am.
01-24-2014 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

RE: Staff Elections: Stage One

Yeah, okay. I'll toss my name into the hat for the position of Moderator. As much as I love you all, I don't think I'd have enough time on my hands to be a full-time administrator. Plus my internet isn't the best.

Okay, so let me clear this up for a start. I may have been an absolute prick in the past, some of you may have held a grudge or some sort of hatred for me. Hell, some of you may even still hold that grudge on me. But, not to sound like a twat or anything, but I'm not asking to be your friend here. I'm asking you to trust me enough to maintain these forums. Look, I know some of you may think “I think you need to be friendly to have that kind of position”, and yes, you'd be right. Which is why I've been trying to get more and more friendly with people... well, not to get this position. I didn't plan this from the start. But since school, I've been through college and gotten some amazing friends who've mellowed me out a lot more. Since the times on Facepunch, I've really gotten a lot more calm and mature, and now resent every part of me that was a twat on Facepunch. Well... mature as in I don't start picking fights at random intervals. I like being the weird one in the class, normality is so drab.

But yeah, now that that's cleared up, allow me to tell you why I would be fitting for this 'job'. Okay, so first of all, and this may come as a shock, but I am experienced. Yep, that's right. I've had a 'job' as a moderator before. Twice. Granted, neither have been something as big as this... nor have they been a forum. I was a moderator both times for a Gmod server... and both times it was generally because the administrators of the servers were too lazy to do any work and just pushed it onto the moderators. But you can't say that this is not a learning experience for me.

Secondly, I'm a learner. I'm currently doing a Bsc Honors Course in Computer Science in University. This includes a professionalism and communications course (As Chao may know, as I believe that he did the same course in Uni). It helps me to identify any ethical, social or legal issues with the forum and deal with them in an effective manner.

I am also very proficient in the laws of the internet. Well, let's not say I'm an aficionado in the subject, but I know enough to get me by without being arrested for breaking the digital law. I've been in this community for as long as I can remember, and I'm glad that almost 6 months ago RahkshiLord decided to pick a fight and I had to come in and back him up, because I wouldn't have been able to rejoin this amazing community. I want to see the community live on for as long as possible, and I can see it doing it. But what's to say that today or tomorrow or the day after that, the almighty gods pricks of the internet decide that they're going to crack down on having fun or whatever, and some time later, we show up on the radar. I'm not saying I can DEFINITELY protect against that, but I can at least give a fighting chance.

Speaking of this community, I'd like to see it interacting outside of the forums a bit more. I don't necessarily mean meeting and talking in real life. Hell, I don't want that, but if you guys feel like it, go on ahead. I'd like to see people playing games more. I remember the good old days when we all got together and played Minecraft for a while. I would love to see that again, plus some mod support would make it hella more fun. It was really fun just having a talk on Minecraft or Starbound or Gmod or whatever. Whether it's competitive, creative or just having fun, I like talking to you guys, and I want to see you talking a lot more, not just on the forums or the mibbit chat. The only times I play games with you people is the short times playing Starbound with Omega.

And yes, I can port forward. One of the few advantages for having BT is that it takes roughly 12 seconds to port forwarding. Which means that I can set up servers at any times for you guys.

So... that's me. Maybe you don't see me as 'moderator' material, and that's fine. I'm not about to get pissy over that fact. I respect you guys too much for that.

Also I'm not colour blind.

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
01-25-2014 03:22 PM
Synthetic Offline
(aka Jager) Forum Moderator

If we're doing applications for moderator positions too, then I might as well make it known that I am willing to continue being moderator.

I'm not the ideal choice. I lack the free time to be as active here as I'd like to be. I still lurk the forum, and I'll take part in it whenever I have extra amounts of free time on my hands. I'm also a moderator in the picture wars chatroom, and I'm usually on it whenever I am able to; I'm aware of what is happening to the forum even when I don't see it for myself. I am the safe choice. If you vote for me, at least you'll know exactly what you're getting.

Given that I'm not very involved in the community, and constantly pressed for consistent free time in a chaotic work-schedule, I would not make a very good administrator. You'll have to find somebody else to do that job.

[Image: 3dmsrbh][Image: R3PBvyl.png][Image: WyBNV.gif][Image: JLPOu.gif]
01-25-2014 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

I pretty much spend 24/7 looking at this website so maybe i might be a good choice.
but that's my only case. XD

[Image: steam.php?id=600606&pngimg=n...;tborder=0]

Quote:Government Hooker: hmmmmm
Government Hooker: I might make a move tonight
Government Hooker: be a great chance for me to warm up
Government Hooker: I'm a bit rusty see :v
Firebug: RUSTY
Firebug: HOW DARE YOU HACK HIM
Government Hooker: shhhhhhhhhhhh

You can teach a robot how to dance...
But you can't teach a pair of shorts how to pants.
01-25-2014 10:35 PM
AHappyElite Offline
Consistency Equivalent of Measles

I'm new, though I lurked, but I'm on every waking hour/non-school hour. I'd not be good for much maintenance stuff, since that's all some different language to me. But I volunteer Spartan, he's knows everyone, and tends to deal with issues/arguments well.

I'm that one white guy who plays black guys in every game possible.
01-25-2014 10:39 PM
SpartanApples Offline
Government Hooker

Hiya guys, gals, and everything in between.

I'm going to try and keep this short, as most of you are aware I don't like to waffle on. When Chao first mentioned about new moderators, I was seriously considering putting myself forward but eventually decided against. But if HappyElite thinks I can do a good job, I guess there's no harm in applying to be a moderator.

While my schedule does change often due to the nature of my degree (I do English Language and Linguistics, which means lots of essays) I always have time to check in here. The only thing that I do struggle to make time for is the IRC, and it does make me a bit sad that I don't always get a chance to join if the all the banter you guys have. However, this is something that I would like to change.

I think the key thing that you'll get with me is transparency. Now I'm not saying that Chao was running this evil dictatorship and going all North Korea on us. Far from that! I'm on about a break down in communication. I feel like I've hardly ever spoken to any of the moderators on here. They just seem like our faceless overlords that swoop down to take out a spambot every so often. I'd happily add people on Facebook so that you can always be in contact with me, even if you just wanted a good chinwag.

Now that we've got that boring bit about me out of the way, I want to talk about the community. For a long time now we've talked about gathering new members. Granted, I've not contributed much to this and I don't have all the answers. The only forums I frequent enough are: this one, Facepunch, and Beam.ng. We need to put ourselves out there (but not in a creepy exhibitionist sort of way).

Linked to this, I'd like to add on to what trifon said. Maybe I'm just looking through my nostalgia goggles, but I really enjoyed it when we'd do stuff off the forums together. I remember when we used to do Top Gear style road trips on Arma 2. Or when we'd all make a little village together on Minecraft. I want to do this again. What's stopping us from doing this again? We can and we should do this again. All we need is the organisation to do so.

This community has shaped me as a person. I've been with it since Dec 09, and those four years have given me a lot. I hope that you guys see me as approachable and friendly. Maybe I'm a bit to friendly to be a moderator given their harsh reputation. I guess that's up to you though?
01-26-2014 06:43 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

Yeah, I used to be a regular talker in the community and the fact that I am not any more is pretty much the main reason I want someone who does actually know who everyone is to replace me.
01-26-2014 07:25 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline
Particle oscillating pioneer

There must be something off putting about stepping into your shoes Chao-rel. Since no one wants to take up the vaunted title of new administrator we may have to force someone to.

Anyway I'd like to give it a shot at applying for moderator, or administrator. (You know what, I may as well aim high.)

So what have I got going for me? Well for starters I'm the ultimate lurker on this site with 75+ days continuous time logged here. :P

All jokes aside, in terms of experience I do have some, although I admit I'm a little rusty. I used to go moderate the odd site or two some time ago, and I police around my school's website. I also used to run a website based around thinking up wacky ideas and concepts, although I eventually stepped down as the admin since I had other priorities. (I wonder what it's like now, if it's still around in my absence. Who knows?) There were some pretty heated arguments at times (given the subject) and I'd like to think I did a decent enough job at keeping everyone level headed and as impartial as possible.

Currently right now my schedule's fairly open, I'm doing my A Levels and it's unlikely that my schedule will massively change in the near future. At the very least it should be stable until I hit Uni, and well...we'll see what happens if/when we get there.

In terms of website maintenance, as I said before I help manage my school's website and try to keep it in good nick. Admittedly there are probably better. I'm probably what you'd call a novice at programming and what not, although I certainly don't lack common sense and easily grasp new concepts. If it comes to it one of my cousins graduated last year with a degree in Computer Science so I could always go off and pester them as they're my go to techie helpline.

Going back to that joke "ultimate lurker" I will admit I have no sleeping pattern. You may have noticed me in the IRC or just candidly on the forums at a time where everyone else in my nation is asleep. So I suppose that'd mean I'd probably be pretty good at noticing any spambots or whatever anomalies in the forums. (The spambots have been pretty quiet recently though). And of course that'd mean I'd be relatively easy to get into contact with as well, irrespective of your time zone. (And there won't be a long wait if I'm not there.)

Finally, to quote Spartan, "this community has shaped me as a person." And that's right, it has. I'd just like to help out in a way by becoming a moderator or administrator, although I'm more than happy to let someone better supersede me. I'm not looking for fame or glory, just looking out for PW.

Well I'll pause at that, no need to make you read too much, as much as I usually end up making people do. :angel:

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014 05:58 PM by Gamma Plasma.)
01-27-2014 08:10 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

I shall replace Chao-Rel!
as no one else will.

Here's why I think I'm good for it.
Dedication
I try at every moment to check this forum. Even during school (which ends soon for me anyway) at breaks and lunch i go to the library to keep an eye out for posts. I also have no social life (so i'm perfect for sitting on my ass and watching the forums)

Determination
I keep spriting. I barely ever take a break from it. I don't ever WANT a match to die, unless it needs to. And i always come back.

Experience
I've administrated multiple different steam groups, 2 different servers (a Garry's Mod server and my own for a while), owned 2 forums (clan forum and Garry's Mod server's forum). and the Garry's Mod server and forum have both given me experience with idiots (we'll gets some of those one day)

This
[Image: NwjZLc.png]

[Image: steam.php?id=600606&amp;amp;pngimg=n...;tborder=0]

01-28-2014 04:49 PM
Eden Offline
Recruit

I might as well take a shot at this Grin

I might not be the most coolest person on this forum or known. I haven't been around for twice or fifty times the time as the other people on this forum, but I think everyone deserves the chance for "fame."

I have some knowledge on moderating, and administrating. I used to be a highly distinguished Moderation on a gaming community named Eden Grounds. Sadly do to there high donating pot we got hacked and had the funds stolen so it soon shut down. We have a new thing going but no website just a teamspeak and its only the founder that does stuff now. So I'm no longer a Mod. However back to Picturewars. If you ever notice on my days off you will always see my name of the logged on section near the bottom there. As well as I'm always easy to reach. When ever Im at work I have time on breaks to take a look at the forum to see if anything interesting has happened.

Hopefully I get chosen if not, luck to the future moderators and Admins!
01-28-2014 06:21 PM
Leadpumper Offline
Private

I think I would be the perfect candidate to be a new site administrator. I will work hard to uphold the proud legacy of picture wars' administrative neglect and aloofness that dates back to Stupid_0ne, who I still wonder if he's even alive. My qualifications extend to: not participating in picture wars within the last nine months, posting in this nearly a month late, and almost entirely drifting away from the original PW community.

Secondly, I will produce one of the most hostile environments possible to new and existing members alike with regular, aggressive questioning of sexual orientation, gender, right to life, and creative ability the way that only I am capable of.

Third, I will accept your votes for me now.
02-20-2014 11:03 PM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

(02-20-2014 11:03 PM)Leadpumper Wrote:  I think I would be the perfect candidate to be a new site administrator. I will work hard to uphold the proud legacy of picture wars' administrative neglect and aloofness that dates back to Stupid_0ne, who I still wonder if he's even alive. My qualifications extend to: not participating in picture wars within the last nine months, posting in this nearly a month late, and almost entirely drifting away from the original PW community.

Secondly, I will produce one of the most hostile environments possible to new and existing members alike with regular, aggressive questioning of sexual orientation, gender, right to life, and creative ability the way that only I am capable of.

This man needs to be president of the world.
No, president of the solar system.

02-21-2014 12:42 AM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

Apparently we have found Emperor! PRAISE THE EMPEROR!

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-21-2014 01:17 AM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

Let us find a goat to slaughter. FETCH THE INCENSE!

02-21-2014 01:21 AM
Gamma Plasma Offline
Particle oscillating pioneer

(02-20-2014 11:03 PM)Leadpumper Wrote:  I think I would be the perfect candidate to be a new site administrator. I will work hard to uphold the proud legacy of picture wars' administrative neglect and aloofness that dates back to Stupid_0ne, who I still wonder if he's even alive. My qualifications extend to: not participating in picture wars within the last nine months, posting in this nearly a month late, and almost entirely drifting away from the original PW community.

Well fuck me backwards with a fiddlestick.(Don't actually do that. Alternatively do it slowly instead.)
Move over all other "supposedly potential" candidates (e.g. me), this person is clearly the most capable one for leading the PW staffing triumvirate, hell we don't even need two moderators with this guy!

START PUMPING THE LEAD!

-------------------
*Clears throat* "Ahem."
On a more serious matter, as this has been bumped, Chao-rel when exactly is the voting going to happen?
(01-24-2014 05:28 PM)Jacquerel Wrote:  Some time next month, we'll hopefully have more than two people willing to take on some responsibility.
It's nearly been a month since you posted this thread, and it'll be March soon enough too. It's not exactly fruitful to leave it open for additional candidates, for an excessive period of time.

I suppose I'd like to remind you to start thinking about setting in motion "stage two" so to speak of this staff election. I'm sure you're a busy person doing or developing what not; the time of reckoning is at hand though, so I do hope you've got your itinerary laid down. :)

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 02:16 AM by Gamma Plasma.)
02-21-2014 02:12 AM
Battul Offline

Quote:convince me as to why you'll be a better me than I am
I liek trains.

And i start flamewars for no reason.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-21-2014 04:27 AM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

Stage two will be Soon™
02-21-2014 10:03 AM
Battul Offline

Jacquerel is waiting for reasonable offer. For now nobody wanted to give him enough money.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-21-2014 11:10 AM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

(02-21-2014 11:10 AM)Battul Wrote:  Jacquerel is waiting for reasonable offer. For now nobody wanted to give him enough money.
AH of course. it never came to my mind that possibly it might just maybe cost money to, i think, own like a forum and stuff.
fuck.

02-25-2014 05:12 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

Worry not, unless people do not trust me to do it, I am fully prepared to continue paying for server hosting
Just got a couple more forum things to clean up and then I'm going to post the next part of this
02-25-2014 07:30 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

Even when you don't need to you take care of our shit for us.
You're like a 2nd Dad for all of us.
unless someone's parents are gay.
then you're like a 3rd Dad for them
or 1st Dad if they have lesbian parents.
XD

02-26-2014 05:12 PM
Battul Offline

Well, i don't wish you meet the fate of my 1st dad.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
02-26-2014 05:19 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

I guess it's lucky we didn't do this yet because not everyone who said they were up for this has reappeared yet.
There's only like 8-10 of us active right now... that's fairly troubling.
04-07-2014 01:36 AM
Hobbesy Offline
Friends are few, indeed.

A lot of people don't know the forums are back apparently.
04-07-2014 01:22 PM
Jacquerel Offline
Administrator

I was about to say "I posted a steam announcement but that's all I have in terms of telling people" but then I remembered that I can compose mass emails
Prepare your inbox .O
04-07-2014 01:29 PM