Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
The Gemnas [Infection Army] [Public once I'm done]
Shadowclasper Offline
Rookie

The Gemnas [Infection Army] [Public once I'm done]

So, this is my first group, and I decided to challenge myself and make an army of crystalline creatures who are created by a mysterious entity to 'weight' the creatures of various dimensions to be worthy or not.

Those found unworthy shall have their dimensions reduced to it's base components and restarted as a new, more worthy, universe.

Dare you face the Gemnas?

I don't have any real pictures for them yet, but I'm working on it slowly.

Fluff
The Gemnas do not know who their creator is. Nor do they care. They have a singular purpose. Infect worlds and reduce them to the strange crystalline gem like structure that makes up their bodies. If they are defeated, there is no shame in this, but they are to show no mercy to those they fight. They appear to be rocky creatures with gem like structures piercing through their bodies. If they are cracked open, they look nothing so much as like a smashed geode. They use a vareity of terrifying weaponry, all based around transforming others into building materials to produce more Gemnas.

Mechanics
The Test: As a test entity. The Gemnas are mysteriously adaptive to their environment. Whenever they encounter a new species, it's weapons WILL be able to harm them (though usually not as effectively as they might be able to harm the natural inhabitants. Likewise, their weaponry will not be utterly undefendable against. Their lasers and javelins might be terrifying to behold, but they will only have a little more power than the enemies they are fighting. It is a test. It is not meant to be insurmountable, merely a challenge. Those who survive the conflict with the Gemnas will come out of it stronger for it.

Infectivity: Gemnas are infective. They spread their crystaline taint wherever they go. Those struck by weapons with the 'Infective' quality will become the crystaline material that is then formed into new gemnas. Their crystals will infect the terrain and slowly transform it all into crystal, which is then used to produce new Gemnas. The Gemnas do not use any resources, but instead convert enemy units and the very terrain of the battlefield into resources with which to produce more Gemnas units. Dead Gemnas units will spread the infection under their bodies into terrain, but not to enemy units.

Crystal Shaping: Gemnas form new units from the crystal, using up terrain (taking chunks out of it) in order to produce new units. These are born as incredibly sturdy 'eggs'. These eggs are placed on delicate crystaline struts. The more complex the unit, the more struts, and the longer it'll have to remain building (minimum of 1 turn). Destroying all the struts will destroy the unit before it is born, but this only means that the crystals can still be remade.

Passing the Test: There are two methods to passing the test. The first is to obliterate all crystal on the map. This is difficult, but not impossible. The second method is to destroy all mobile Gemnas, and finally, the Dimensional portal that they initially launched through. Destroying the portal cuts off their access. Without a portal, new gemnas units (eggs and skitterers) cannot be produced, their corpses will not spread infection into the terrain they fall on, but eggs that have already been produced can still hatch.

Never Ending Tide: Beware, for even if a portal is destroyed, then the Gemnas can produce a new one. Gemnas units will combine and sacrifice themselves to open a new Dimensional Portal. This process takes 3 turns. The cost in units is as follows:
-6 Skitterers, Shard-Bats, and/or Shard-Moles
-4 Shard-Hunters and/or Shard-Shapers
-2 Shard-Terrors and/or Shard-Launchers
-1 Crystalline Nightmare.

Spoiler: Units
Dimensional Portal: The initial spawning point of the Gemnas and the source of the infection. It spawns with 3 Infection Clouds. Gemnas may not permit a portal to come to harm if at all possible. It is like a king being in mate. If it is at all possible to remove the piece from being in mate, then that move must be taken. Only one Dimensional Portal may exist at one time. Each time a new portal is opened, it opens with 1 less infection cloud than before. While a portal is open, the infection will spread automatically through terrain, Gemnas Corpses will cause infection of terrain wherever they fall, and Skitterers and Eggs can be produced automatically as long as their are materials to work with in their production.

Infection Clouds: These may infect terrain or enemy units. They have a 100% infection rate regardless of protection. They cannot be blocked by any means. They may not be produced by anything except the opening of a new portal. There can never be more than 3 infection clouds on the map for any reason. Infection clouds cannot be killed except by AoE effects that would harm a gaseous entity. Units infected by Infection clouds can be remotely detonated in an explosion of armor piercing infectious crystal shards. Infection clouds can only remain cohesive for 2 turns at a stretch. Then they automatically infect the closest viable target, whether terrain or unit.

Gemnas Eggs: These eggs are very tough, almost impossible to crack under anything but sustained and anti-armor style attacks regardless of period (including savage eras). Their struts however are delicate. These struts extend between at least two points where crystals have infected the terrain. If all struts are destroyed, the egg is destroyed though it's remains will slowly infect whatever they touch. They come in three varieties:
-Small Eggs (2 struts, 1 turn spawn)
-Medium Eggs (4 struts, 2 turn spawn)
-Large Eggs (6 struts, 3 turn spawn)
Eggs can be produced as long as there is a Dimensional Portal on the map.
[Image: GemnasEggSmall_zps52e77f69.png] A Small Egg

Skitterers: The basic unit of the Gemnas. These balls of rock with scythe like fore limbs move about like tiny predators, slicing into opposition. They can crawl on any surface. Skitters do not need to be born from an egg, but can be born from any terrain provided a Dimensional Portal is active on the map.
Basic outline of Skitterer shape:[Image: GemnasScittererBase_zpsa95b71a9.png]

Shard-Moles: These units resemble short, strange worms that burrow through terrain and hide themselves deep behind enemy lines. Once there, they can sacrifice themselves to produce one of the following effects.
-Create a field of non-infectious crystalline growth around the feet, treads, or other locomotive apparateuses of the enemy.
-create a pocket of infected terrain that will spread independently of the main infection mass.
-throw itself up and out of the ground with explosive force to impale a single target and crystallize them.
Shard-Moles are produced from small eggs, but are produced in sets of 3 per egg.

Shard-Bats: Shard-Bats are smaller cousins of the Gemnas' space craft, the Shard-Dragon. Shard-bats use resonance frequencies and sonic manipulation to fly. They have a sharp axe like blade on their front, and a stinger like tail that doubles to help them maneuver. Shard-Bats are produce from small eggs, but are produced in sets of 3 per egg

Shard-Hunters: These leonine units are much larger than Skitterers. They have large shard filled mouths and strong, powerful claws. Those who survive their bite become crystallized. Shard-Hunters are produced from small eggs.

Shard-Shapers: These spider like units are capable of directly manipulating the terrain. Gemnas cannot manipulate the terrain directly (moving spikes, changing the shape of it, etc) without Gem Shapers intervening. Gem Shapers have no other defense, but when touching crystalized terrain are capable of manipulating its shape in any way imaginable. They cannot produce weaponry from this (though they could break it down into a cloud of dust to infect those nearby with it), they can only manipulate it's shape. Shard-Shapers are produced from small eggs.

Shard-Terrors: These massive lizard like beasts are covered in spikes and hard edges. They are built to induce terror in biological foes and to be things of nightmares. They can change their color to resemble the terrain around themselves (change the opacity to about 10-20% on their pixels when cloaked). They cannot take long range weapons. Shard-Terrors are produced from medium eggs.

Shard-Launcher: These units are slow, ponderous, and have extreme range. They launch specialized javelins with terrifying force and speed that explode upon impact while releasing an explosion of infective dust. They may not be armed with any close combat weapons. Shard-Terrors are produced from medium eggs.

Crystalline Nightmares: These beasts are massive, terrible creatures that unleash unending pain upon those they fight against. They chew up enemies, and spit out their crystallized remains in a terrible spray of shrapnel and dust upon all before them. They have 8 limbs in total, all of which may be turned towards walking or slicing their opponents. They likewise can walk on any surface with ease. They are basically massive, tank like versions of skitterers. Crystalline Nightmares are produced from large eggs.

Spoiler: Equipment
All equipment is rated on an Infectivity v. Lethality scale. Infective weapons will transform enemies into crystal before killing them. Infected units may immediately transform into skitterers after they have been fully crystallized. Lethal weapons may not even leave remains to be crystallized, focused more upon slaying opponents out right.

Biological units, and any unit with some form of circulatory system (something that moves phsyical bits, however small, around the body of the object) are far easier to infect than mechanical units (though if they have extensive cooling or fueling systems, if those are hit, then infection spreads at the normal rate for a biological entity)

Dust Sprayers: These weapons spray out an infective cloud of dust in a cone at the enemy. Enemies may survive for several turns as they're slowly crystallized. Units who do not breath the dust will last longer. Units that do not breath the dust will take longer to infect as well. Low Lethality, High Infectivity.

Spikers: Firing a javelin of crystalline material that impales the target and if remains in the wound (rather than passing right through the target). Medium Lethality, Medium Infectivity

Beamers: Using any ambient light around the figure, and reflecting and refracting it into a high intensity beam to slice through opposition and ignite them. Any ignited figures are incapable of being crystallized properly. High Lethality, no infectivity.

So there you go, very basic overview of a faction I'm making, and once done I hope to make open to anyone to use. The idea was to make a generic 'evil' faction that could be thrown against any players in any era. Also I'm kinda lazy, and didn't want to make a separate version for every possible era. Though I will make space ships of them at some point to play in that field too.

I'm looking for help in getting body types down. Some are easy, others I'm having trouble with (such as the Shard-Hunter, if anybody has a template for a lion or wolf like body type I'd appreciate being able to borrow it for these guys as a template to work off of.)

Thoughts? Ideas for expansion? Criticism?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013 12:25 AM by Shadowclasper.)
12-18-2013 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

Re: The Gemnas [Infection Army] [Public once I'm done]

Nice race rookie :)
One good idea: give me conspect of your crystals, i want see it,ok?
And welcome to Picture Wars!
:toot:

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
12-18-2013 03:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shadowclasper Offline
Rookie

Been trying to find stuff. Originally they were going to look like crystal golems and crystal dragons
[Image: Crystal_Golem_II_Figure.png]
[Image: CrystalGolem.jpg]

After working with guys on the IRC, it quickly became apparent that in order to make a race that was made PURELY of crystals (as in all facets and gemstones) like the above pictures, I'd need a much larger scale in order for units to be obvious in what they were armed with (I'm a professional game designer IRL. Rule #1 of image design is that things should be obvious as to what they are the moment you look at them. With only mono colored crystals that would be next to impossible at our scale). So instead going to go with something like this:

[Image: Crystal_Golem_by_FishBoyOfJupiter.jpg]
[Image: 6836.jpg]
[Image: Punyhuman.png]

Rocky bodies with crystals sticking out of them. Will also be easier to draw the crystalline infection spreading throughout the map terrain.  I just have to draw the threads of crystalline cracks in the terrain and suggest that the major infection is running UNDER the surface appearance of the terrain. With the old design I was going to have to design a brush to make it look crystalline over all!

Design goals for the race are simple. In other games I've played these guys (free form tactics rpgs). The goal has always been to make a balanced race that scared the shit out of the people fighting them. That's the goal here. Making a race that while balanced and actually possible to defeat, are a challenge to do so by conventional means, and inspire an irrational fear in the opponent disproportionate to the actual threat presented by the army.

See what I mean? The basic function of it is to include lots of ways that make fighting them conventionally difficult. If you just go all out attack on them with most armies, their increased endurance (due to being fucking rocks), incredible reproduction rate (in terms of just skitterers) and infectious attacks will fuck you over. You have to catch them in ambushes. They have no rules about being able to see through their infection, so it's not like stealth isn't an option (Though they'd probably be able to tell when the infection has become damaged and where it has been damaged). The only unit that has a 100% infection rate is the dust swarm thing, and their numbers are severely limited. Finally, to encourage the whole level of paranoia that is common to other games (where I've had players nuke half their home planet just to stop the crystals from spreading) I had to come up with a mechanic that let them keep going even after you had destroyed the source of the infection. The game doesn't end until every single gemnas unit is destroyed.

edit: I should have been clear. None of the units I'm going to make are going to be even remotely humanoid. The above references are for ideas on how the guys would look in composition of materials.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 06:45 PM by Shadowclasper.)
12-18-2013 06:28 PM
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

thank you, i will be watching your progress, good luck!

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
12-18-2013 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ScythianWarrior Offline
Private

I'd play a match against this

When the New Order comes, you'll be the first again the wall.
12-20-2013 04:42 AM
Shadowclasper Offline
Rookie

RE: The Gemnas [Infection Army] [Public once I'm done]

Tomorrow I should finally have some time to begin work on these guys. Probably going to work on the basic outlines for the Gate, the Infection Clouds, and the Eggs. Might not get anything other than the layer outlines done though.
12-22-2013 05:35 AM
Shadowclasper Offline
Rookie

RE: The Gemnas [Infection Army] [Public once I'm done]

Made a basic 'gemnas egg' look. Going to make units out of flat colors first, then touch them up afterwards.

Right now working on the following proportions:

25x25 for 'small' things (infection clouds, skitterers, small eggs, Shard-Moles, Shard-Bats)

40x25 for 'long' things (shard-hunters)

25x40 for 'tall' things (Shard-Shapers)

40x40 for 'medium' things (medium eggs)

60x60 for 'large' things (Shard-Terrors and Shard-Launchers)

80x80 for 'BIG' things (large eggs)

120x120 for MASSIVE things (Crystalline Nightmares)

Is what I'm generally going for.

Yes, the smallest unit is almost the size of a full grown human. Think on that, a massive thing of rock and gem full of teeth and sharp claws seeking to unmake you. And the big ones are nearly 2.5 stories tall and eager to chew you up and spit you out! (Assuming a story is about twice the height of a human, at 50 pixels)
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 11:55 PM by Shadowclasper.)
12-22-2013 08:28 AM