• 1 Votes - 4 Average
TheOmegaPyro vs CubeJackal - Fear of the Dark
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

TheOmegaPyro vs CubeJackal - Fear of the Dark

[Image: DTkEdWn.png]

"Can you not blow that in my face, please?"
"Sorry, sir."
Second Lieutenant Wilkins didn't like smoking or smokers. He wafts the tobacco fumes puffed by the nearby Corporal Terrace away as he fiddles with the dials on his ham radio. Evidently, it had gone bust, and it was his only link to Regional HQ. He had used the local network to check with Corporal Smithers on the roof to ensure that the radio mast was operational - all checks came back green. It was either an issue with the radio itself or an issue back at command, and knowing command, it could have been either. Wilkins shifts on the pile of bullets that comprises his seat as he contemplates throwing the radio at his smoking compadre.

This was just about the only thing of note going on in the entire base. Private Horrigan is the only one taking his turn on sentry duty seriously, but this is mainly because he's pretend-firing at unseen objects in the distance. On the opposite end of the roof, Corporal Smithers, the squad's designated heavy equipment operator, contemplates a bullet that he had picked up from the stash surrounding the disused MG emplacement. On the floor below, Pvt. Gillian stares out of the smashed window in complete boredom and Privates Kerry and Samson play a card game of their own design, chatting between each other as they do so.

Kerry: Where the hell did you get that card from?
Samson: My hand, dumbass.
Kerry: No way, you fucking... pulled it out of your helmet or something. Let me see that!
Samson: No chance, get outta here.

In the same room, PFC Owyn had long abandoned his LMG emplacement in favour of watching some television. The base is far from prepared for action - it hadn't expected any, nor had any occured, throughout the first two weeks of the squad's month-long assignment. Sentry assignments are universally loathed by most Vargean soldiers for this reason. After all, nobody joined the army because they wanted to sit staring at the horizon all day long.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 12:04 AM by CubeJackal.)
04-03-2013 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

Re: TheOmegaPyro vs CubeJackal - Fear of the Dark

[Image: megTCj.png]
A strange darkness appears over to the east. and 2 tall shapes form out from the treeline, wrapping around the air like vines. Then, fading through the sky appears another shadowy figure. It flies without a sound above the battlefield.

[Image: steam.php?id=600606&pngimg=n...;tborder=0]

Quote:Government Hooker: hmmmmm
Government Hooker: I might make a move tonight
Government Hooker: be a great chance for me to warm up
Government Hooker: I'm a bit rusty see :v
Firebug: RUSTY
Firebug: HOW DARE YOU HACK HIM
Government Hooker: shhhhhhhhhhhh

You can teach a robot how to dance...
But you can't teach a pair of shorts how to pants.
04-03-2013 06:51 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: jHh7sF6.png]

Wilkins has had enough of the radio, the smoke and the crushing boredom. He turns abruptly to Terrace.

Wilkins: Can you take that outside, corporal? You're stinking the place up.

Terrace barely prevents himself from rolling his eyes and turns to leave, sticking the cigarette in his mouth and shuffling out of the door. Meanwhile in the base, little else happens. Horrigan snipes a few imaginary revolutionaries.  Gillian begins to fall asleep, while Kerry removes a card from the bed triumphantly.

Kerry: Point to me.
Samson: You're a cheating bastard, Kerry.
Kerry: Says you.

Both soldiers laugh as Owyn switches channels a few times. The signal sucks and there isn't much good on, but it's probably better than playing cards with the two jokers behind him.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 09:49 PM by CubeJackal.)
04-03-2013 07:11 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: Z9FXsz.png]
The darkness becomes thicker. It might be obvious to the troopers now but the Veil doesn't mind. The Veil of Penumbra normally cares about being seen, but they have eyes everywhere, and know that the enemy soldiers are not able to contact anyone.
Feed...
A creature appears from the darkness... a Haze, as it was nicknamed by the other encampments before they perished, is the creature that appeared.
Let them fear the dark...

04-03-2013 07:25 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: poPHqgR.png]

Terrace doesn't even have time to close the door before he sees a gigantic mass of darkness approaching him rapidly. A lottery of potential causes fly through his brain, which eventually settles on 'smoke screen', since that's all that such a massive impermeable mass of blackness could be, right? Smithers comes to a similar conclusion at around the same time, having glanced up momentarily from his bullet observation just in time to see the encroaching darkness. Terrace fumbles for his laser assault rifle as he attempts to alert his superior.

Terrace: S-sir! Sir! We've got hostiles!!
Smithers: Hostile contacts! They've popped smoke!

The shouts of the two corporals alert the rest of the base. Kerry instinctively goes for his gun while Owyn dashes to his position on the LMG nest, cursing his bad luck. Wilkins shoots into a standing position and immediately glances around for his laser pistol.
04-03-2013 07:53 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: feclk5.png]
The darkness stops its advance. it steads fast, no need to blind all of them. it wants them to see each other die.
Now. Advance onward.
The Haze leaps at the dazed and alert soldier as the eclipse soars downwards towards the rooftop target.
A Gloomer appears behind the officer and the sparks emit from the wires and cables and the lights go out in a large spark, caused by the sudden appearance of the Gloomer.

04-03-2013 08:37 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: hhBWKHU.png]

The base erupts into activity as the entire garrison rushes to get into position. Terrace opens fire on the shadowy being in front of him - at this range, it's hard to miss, but he manages to do so with one of his shots anyway. Wilkins, meanwhile, sweeps his pistol up, boots the door open and is immediately met with a being made entirely of shadow. Assuming that it's a hostile, he opens fire in panic, though his low-calibre laser pistol can't be expected to do much damage. One floor up, Owyn fires indiscriminately into the black smog before him, hoping that he's hitting something inside it. Kerry, Samson and Gillian all rush towards the elevator, with Kerry frantically hammering the button despite it clearly being de-powered. Up on the roof, Smithers dives to the floor to avoid being dive-bombed while Horrigan opens fire - unlike in his imagination, though, he's a relatively poor shot.
04-03-2013 09:03 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: 1UeY5f.png]
The Haze wraps it's tendrils around the soldiers, breaking into his mind and slowly filling it with darkness. The Gloomer reaches towards the captain, preparing to attack and the rest of the shadows continue to advance. The 2nd Gloomer forms into a new form, large and tough. Known to the last encampment as a "Shade".

04-03-2013 09:31 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: CYm1u8A.png]

Terrace continues firing into the shadow until it eventually envelops him. He struggles briefly, but gradually becomes still as his higher brain functions shut down. On the other side of the room, Wilkins squeezes the pistol's trigger as much as he can, gradually backing up into the crate as the monster reaches out to embrace him... then collapses into an amorphous heap of black fog as the amount of light it has absorbed overcomes it. The officer puts a few more lasers into its shrinking remains, just to be sure.

On the upper floor, Kerry shouts a string of expletives and eventually gives up on trying to open the elevator doors. Instead, he turns to look out of the window that Owyn is firing out of. The machine-gunner is showing off his small amount of marksmanship training by failing to land most of his shots. Samsom, however, has seen enough. What little morale he had finally gives way as he turns tail and runs the other way. Gillian watches and considers following, assuming that his comrade has had some kind of brilliant idea.

On the roof, Horrigan kneels in order to try and steady his shaking hands. This does little to aid him as he maintains a solid 50% hit-to-miss ratio. Smithers remains pinned to the ground, hoping to all that is holy that the apparition that he saw diving towards him is now passing over him harmlessly.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 11:09 PM by CubeJackal.)
04-03-2013 11:05 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: QAOC7k.png]
The Gloomer sinks into the ground but it's essence flees and joins with a newly formed creature behind the base. The lifeless body of the trooper turns pale, eyes white and drops to the ground, clouded in shadow. the Shade lengthens out and reaches it's whole body towards the window.
The Eclipse catches sight of the easy target lying on the ground and starts to entangle him. There is the risk of another trooper stopping him, or this trooper fighting back but it is worth it.
A new creature forms out the cloud of darkness. A Murker. It slowly moves to the battlefield.

04-04-2013 11:08 AM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: Nl1bK9e.png]

Wilkins, satisfied that the shadow creature is quite dead, advances through the door. He also grabs the radio on the off-chance that it'll work later. On the floor above, it only takes one of the conscripts retreating to cause a chain reaction, as both Gillian and Kerry begin following Samson at a speedy pace. Owyn, meanwhile, pours as many lasers as he possibly can into the huge creature advancing to meet him. He doesn't think he'd like to meet it back.
On the roof, Horrigan finally realises that someone's life is at stake. In a brief moment of clarity, he fires two successful shots, putting an end to the flying shadow hovering above Smithers. The aforementioned Smithers pulls himself up and glances around, noticing that he's no longer in immediate danger.
04-04-2013 11:49 AM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: oCSsxo.png]
The Veil works like a hive mind. All shadows connected to one main conscience. When the shadow creeping behind the soldier saw the Eclipse get blasted, it knew what it had to do. It's "arms" wrap around the soldier pulling him back in surprise. The soldier lets out a muffled scream. a few more of its arms go into the window where the 3 soldiers were running to. Ready to strike.
The Shade at the front of the battle who was being shot by the LMG shrinks back and for the first time, the soldiers have an idea of the noise they make.
EEEEeeeEEEEEEeeeEeEeEeEeEeEEEEeee
The creature lets out a blood curdling screech of pain, heard by all the soldiers.
The Murker floats towards the battle.

04-04-2013 12:09 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: 3XP28s5.png]

Wilkins boots the door open and immediately noticed the black, transparent tendrils curling around the opposite one. He hesitates for a second, unsure of how to proceed. On the first floor, the deafening screech emanating from the thing that he just fired upon is enough encouragement for Owyn to abandon his position and follow his squadmates in their retreat. Samson slows down in order to begin burning a hole in the blanket of shadow covering their only escape route with laser fire. On the roof, Smithers fails to notice Horrigan's plight as he's too busy trying to deter the murker's advance with his SMG.
04-04-2013 12:29 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: jHMwIL.png]
the Gloomer takes advantage of the LMG soldiers fear and advances, arms reaching towards him. the Murker, having taken too much laser fire, explodes into 3 of the smaller "Dusk" which fall towards the trooper on the roof.
Having sustained too much fire, the creature forming at the back collapses into shadow and flooded onto the ground below and through the window. Fortunately, that allows it to, if not destroyed, form into a second creature. It continues its assault on the trooper who kill its bretheren.

04-04-2013 12:47 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: dIDqDAx.png]

Gillian and Samson stop to blast away the remains of the shadow, putting out enough lasers to scorch the darkness away rapidly. Kerry and Owyn lag behind, unaware of the tendrils chasing them. On the roof, Horrigan drops the the floor while Smithers runs from the three black clouds in panic. Wilkins, meanwhile, dashes to the far door and prepares to tear off the ancient planks barricading it.
04-04-2013 04:34 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: ZBpcjP.png]
The creature on the roof transfers itself to the room below, leaving a breathing but braindead corpse on the roof.
The Dusks chase down their foe at great speeds, but can't seem to catch up with him yet. His fear seems to give him a boost to his speed.
The 2nd Gloomer spreads through into the window.

04-04-2013 05:27 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: rw3GyDy.png]

Spurred on by pure adrenaline, Smiters barely even registers the motionless body of Horrigan as he sprints forward, not really considering where he's going. Directly below this scene, the group of soldiers fire enough lasers to toast a large dog into the shadow at once, vaporising a good deal of it instantly. Owyn snatches a rear-ward glance as he joins the three privates and instantly notices the encroaching blackness. He chooses to simply run faster instead of firing back at it. On the ground, Wilkins breaks through the door that was holding him back - literally, since the hinges were quite rusted - and comes to a halt, panting. He twists some dials on his radio, praying that it'll work. Miraculously, an occasional voice can be heard betweeen waves of static. Wilkins excitedly tunes the radio to the Regional HQ SOS channel, ready to request an evacuation.
04-04-2013 06:26 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: nnhxyN.png]
The creature, absorbing too much light, shrinks with another deathly scream and hides in a flat shadow and shrinks out the window losing most of its form, making it useless in combat. the large shadow spreads further in as above, the dusks start to move to the floor below and the 3rd dusk leaps down and grabs the leg of the trooper.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:24 PM by TheOmegaPyro.)
04-04-2013 06:50 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: 3RQJDFN.png]

Samson and Kerry advance through what's left of the apparition that they just shot down, while Gillian puts a couple more shots into it to be sure. Owyn skids to a halt and turns to face the massive shadow pouring through the window. A scream rises in his throat, but he suppresses it and squeezes the trigger on his LMG, mistakenly confident that he'll be able to stop the giant pool of blackness alone. Up on the roof, Smithers twists and kicks his leg around on the move in order to break free from the dark tendril. Although he succeeds, he is sent into a stumbling motion and eventually trips over the shadow-encrusted corpse of Horrigan, yelping as his SMG flies out of his hands. On the ground, Wilkins brings the radio up to his ear.

Radio: A32 Regional SOS, who is it and what do you need?
Wilkins: Second Lieutenant Wilkins, commander of the A32-1-7 military outpost! Identification code 782-677-Zebra! We're overrun by some... some kind of... hostile thing! We need an immediate evac! Over!
Radio: Can we get more information on these hostiles, second lieutenant? Over.
Wilkins: Giant... shadow things, I think. We thought it was just some local insurgents with smoke 'nades, but... we need evac! Now! We can't hold them off! Over!
Radio: Roger that. Your ID code checks out, so we're sending an emergency truck. We'd send a dropship, but they're all out. Over and out.

As if by magic, the radio goes dead as soon as the operator on the other end finishes saying 'out'. Wilkins curses and glances up at the window, where Samson is trying to get his attention.

Samson: Sir! You're alive! Where the fuck are our reinforcements?!
Wilkins: Stay calm, private! We've got friendlies inbound! Get down here and we can hold these things off at the bridge!

Samson begins jabbing some of the broken glass out of the window with the barrel of his assault laser rifle in preparation for his drop.
04-05-2013 07:41 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: QOOW6y.png]
The soldier known as Smithers trips down onto the corpse of his "friend", who was already shrouded in the shadow. Being in contact with the pale corpse causes Smithers to quickly be overwhelmed in seconds. The 3 Dusks flip down to the floor below, and the front one quickly stops the soldier from killing it's familiar. Although grabbed, there is still a chance for the soldier to escape the dark grasps, although his vision will already be fading.
The last 3 troopers seem unaware to the disturbing scene behind them, probably too busy continuing to blaze into the shadow, and none of them as of yet have seen the effects of a shadow on a human, and probably wish never to find out.
They are trying to flee. they must not tell others of this day. Let it be a mysterious disappearance, never spoke of again by the humans. [b]Nothing more![/b]

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 08:24 PM by TheOmegaPyro.)
04-05-2013 08:20 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: NRkia3m.png]

Samson takes special care to exterminate the remainder of the shadow before proceeding.

[Image: 2e9AhtD.png]

Climbing out of the window frame carefully, he grabs onto the edge and slowly lowers himself down, legs swinging into the open doorway below. Kerry and Gillian wait behind anxiously, the latter taking a glance to his rear and being quite surprised at what he sees. Outside, Wilkins chooses to go on by himself, hoping that at least some of his squad will join him at the evac site.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 09:48 PM by CubeJackal.)
04-05-2013 08:50 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: S26eje.png]
The Darkness continues to advance in a creepy silence... The LMG soldier falls to the ground, lifeless.

04-05-2013 09:06 PM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: yGj8UaQ.png]

Samson drops himself from the window frame. With a thud and a grunt, he stumbles after his CO as quickly as he can manage. He doesn't bother to unsling his gun, which flops around on his back as he dashes forward. Kerry prepares to do the same, pulling himself out of the window and allowing himself to dangle below it before he falls. Gillian begins panicking as he frantically fires into the encroaching mass of darkness, hands shaking so much that it's difficult to land a shot on any vulnerable targets. He backs up slowly towards the window and prepares to throw himself out of it. On the ground, Wilkins catches an occasional glimpse of teal through the treeline and the sound of a diesel engine is carried along the wind towards him - rescue has arrived! Pushing himself harder than he's ever done before, he begins the final sprint to safety.
04-05-2013 09:42 PM
TheOmegaPyro Offline
Also known as Firebug

[Image: akC7X0.png]
The shadow grabs the soldier has he backs up to the window, trapping him in place. the rest of the darkness advances.
The others are escaping!

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 09:20 AM by TheOmegaPyro.)
04-06-2013 09:17 AM
CubeJackal Offline
I AM THE BEST LAWYER

[Image: UPuIHCX.png]

Gillian lets out a yell and fires ineffectually into the ceiling as the dark shadow wraps itself around him. Kerry hears this as he hits the ground, but counts himself as lucky and doesn't dare to look back as he follows his two squadmates. The evacuation truck trundles forward as rapidly as it can manage, expressing some difficulty with the rough terrain. Wilkins and Samson, spurred on by the promise of safety, make rapid progress across the dark ground.
04-06-2013 11:13 AM