Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wasteland Patrol: Commander Evil vs. Jomn
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

Wasteland Patrol: Commander Evil vs. Jomn

Until very recently, the Company that rules the City has forbidden citizens to leave it. Not that they needed much discouragement, for beyond the city walls to the west, a vast sea of sand and ruin spreads beyond the horizon. Those who defied city law and left anyways were almost always never seen again, the few survivors who managed to return telling tales of desolation, cold, and stirring ghosts of the past. But times have changed. One month after strange lights had been seen in the sky over the City, the Company decided to send a patrol, equipped with enough rations and supplies to last them two months, across the desert to search for signs of civilization. As if some imagined god had deemed it so, a freezing sandstorm had once again shifted the dunes of the wasteland, revealing an ancient highway stretching off into the distance. With their route decided, and their vehicles loaded, the Military Police was on the move.

"Hey, Major!" The Corporal's voice came across rough, static-ridden, but still thankfully legible. "There's something ahead! I think it's a city!"

[Image: tP8Mq2Y.png]

Dropping his headset, and popping a hatch open, The Major took in the sight of it as they drew near. The buildings were lower than back home, and had scrapes of glittering brightness that were a telltale sign of metal construction. Leaning back in, he ordered the carrier with the trailer, and the patrol car behind it, to pull off to the side of the road beneath the shade of a warped highway sign. "We'll scout ahead, then radio back when it's clear", he assured his men as they nervously peered up the dunes surrounding them. "Plus, you can't be spotted by anyone who might be over there. We can't risk losing our supplies." He pauses, then adds with a grin. "Or our reinforcements."

[Image: KRVOYgT.png]

After detailing six men to guard the supply transport, he boarded his truck, and with a Squad Car leading the way, roared off towards the city.
After getting a few blocks in, he pulls off beside a warehouse, and radios in a status report to the men out in the desert still.

[Image: rFeBaiG.png]

"No sign of anyone yet. The city appears to be deserted, but we'll keep looking around for another hour or so. I don't want any surprises." He looks around, noting that his men have already taken positions around him, including a sniper team up in the warehouse. Tugging off his Brown Officer's Hat, he smiles to himself. They've been trained well. He mutters, "I don't think there's anything too dangerous out here..."

[Image: fb84349cc8.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 04:57 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-20-2013 05:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Re: Wasteland Patrol: Commander Evil vs. Jomn

Meanwhile, a different sort of company seeks the ownership of the world.  Infinity Systems, in search of resources to secure their foothold in the corporate world, recently bought a large section of space and seek to strip mine the worlds contained.  Any life on said planets are persuaded to vacate the premises.

[Image: PomzGHC.png]

The roar of a jet can be heard for miles as a small contingent of robots are sent to survey the land.

[Image: crqxMnI.png]

The dropship unloads its inhabitants.  The expedition's leader, BCU 29Ed-90x3:JESS, looks around at the abandoned cityscape.
"Jeez, what a dump.  I've been to slums that looked prettier than this."
She sends out the scout bot to, well scout.  About several miles away from her position a city full of humans have been detected.  It wouldn't be crazy to assume they haven't sent out a party here.

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 10:44 PM by skaianDestiny.)
01-20-2013 05:21 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

"Hey, uh, Major? You might wanna see this." In the streets below, officers mill around nervously, having heard the roar of an engine, but not recognizing it for what it was. Were it not for the strange wreckage at the infamous JFK Mark on the edge of the City, flight would be an impossible-to-consider idea for them.

[Image: kNmP413.png]

"What is it, Sniper Team?" He turns, watching the rooftops around him, as their words come back to him, "Somethin' big just touched down on a roof, 'bout four streets over. It's big, sir, and a bunch'a... well, I guess they're robots, sir, they're pourin' out of it. Some kinda lil' octopus sucker is creepin' this way." His teammate peers down his scope, dialing in the distance and muttering wind calculations to himself.

[Image: kAstjn4.png]

"Stay in position, and keep an eye on 'em. We'll send some men up to take a look. Don't engage unless they shoot first." His men move forward, the rearmost man in the group snapping his Grenade Launcher closed with a reassuring click.

[Image: GjadJU9.png]

He tells the last two men by the Squad Car to stay behind and guard the vehicles.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:00 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-20-2013 09:39 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: hDPXs0r.png]

The dropship roars off into the distance.  Jess takes all but one of the robots to the ground, leaving one on the rooftops to keep an eye out on the surrounding area.  Ordinarily she would try to strike up a conversation with her companions, but considering the intelligence of these particular robots rank below the typical high school jock, it would be an exercise in futility.  Oh well.

derp derp derp
01-21-2013 03:21 AM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

Dumbfounded, the Major stares up at the sky as the dropship roars overhead. The guy with the shotgun asks, voice strained, "...What...the...hell...is that?" The Major just shakes his head, staring as it arches upwards into the sky.

[Image: dGwg0Qh.png]

"...told you we should've brought a Howitzer." The man with the grenade launcher mutters.

The rest of the men, either better disciplined, or trying not to think about what could have made a giant hunk of metal fly through the sky that fast, move ahead, keeping their eyes open for any hostiles. The Sniper loses sight of the scout robot, but notices the other robot on the roof, and adjusts his sights accordingly.

[Image: noSVFUu.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:01 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-21-2013 04:21 AM
tiniuclx Offline
Commando

There's a one pixel white line on the left, you might want to correct that.

The only physics based martial art simulator! (this is a link)
*dwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarf*
Kudos to Jafhar for the avvie
01-21-2013 12:48 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: nYCilZ3.png]

Breaking off to explore, Jess finds a boarded up hatch.  Since someone took the time to board it up, obviously there must be something awesome hidden behind it.  Of course, the barricade is going to pose a problem...

[Image: wofSN3l.png]

She activates her special gun that she made all by herself to dismantle the obstacle.  Millions of millions of nanomachines swarm out and deconstruct the hatch and the surrounding floor.  They let out a blueish-white as they get to work reducing it material to its base components.  While there is few actual combat uses for this function out of building barriers or creating opportunities for flanking, its effects on a biological entity are not pretty.

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 09:25 PM by skaianDestiny.)
01-21-2013 04:15 PM
tiniuclx Offline
Commando

Now there's a white line on the bottom. Might want to fix that...

The only physics based martial art simulator! (this is a link)
*dwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarfdwarf*
Kudos to Jafhar for the avvie
01-21-2013 06:00 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Godamnit.

derp derp derp
01-21-2013 09:24 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

I'll work on getting my next turn in sometime today, got some stuff to deal with.

Edit: Here we go.

The pair of soldiers on point creep into an old building of indeterminate purpose. Maybe it was a warehouse, or something. ...Hey Mack, I think there might be a window up there. Want me to take a look?" Concentrating on being sneaky, his compatriot in the front mutters, "Yeh, yeh, sure, whatever."

The Major and his grenade-launcher wielding buddy move up, having gotten over the sight of the Dropship pretty quickly.

[Image: my7U8ua.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:02 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-21-2013 10:39 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: RvtH806.png]

After the hatch and the surrounding floor have been absorbed, Jess climbs up what remains of the ladder to look around.  She is mildly disappointed at what she finds, a broken-down antique TV and a chair.  Something does catch her attention though.

"Aw, look at the little plant.  Poor guy, left out here in the empty abandoned city with only a small lamp for light.  Don't worry, I'll find somewhere for ya."

Elsewhere, the scouting party detects the natives' bio-signatures.  The drone up on the roof moves up as well, activating its jetpack to quickly leap between the buildings.

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 10:38 PM by skaianDestiny.)
01-26-2013 09:44 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

"H-hey, uh, M-m-m-Mack? I think there's somethin' on the roof!" The officer's voice quavers, as he jerks a finger upward towards the faint scuttling sounds.

Ignoring him completely, the other man levels his gun out the door, shouting, "This is the Military Police! Whoever's out there, identify yourself immediately!" For all it's worth, he just seems to be shouting that to no one in particular, as he can't see the drones through a door opposite him.

Outside, the Major and his associate also hear a noise, and stop, looking upwards at the roof. "...That... doesn't sound friendly."

Checking his launcher, his buddy mutters, "Y'think?"

[Image: Qiwz3aE.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:02 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-28-2013 06:22 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

The scout drone detects the two humans outside of the building.

[Image: B67pzGs.png]

It scuttles down in front of the Major and broadcasts a message in harsh monotone.

"ATTENTION INHABITANTS OF [PLANET G49s1-V123d].  YOUR WORLD HAS BEEN BOUGHT BY INFINITY SYSTEMS AND WILL BE STRIP MINED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING STANDARD WEEKS.  IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOURTH INTERGALACTIC COMMERCE ASSOCIATION TREATY, SECTION THREE, SUBSECTION 42, TRANSPORTATION OFF-WORLD WILL BE PROVIDED TO ALL INHABITANTS AFTER NEGOTIATION WITH YOUR GOVERNMENT(S).  ATTENTION INHABITANTS..."

The message repeats for a bit, but is soon cut off by a much more natural-sounding and feminine voice.

[Image: QsoKTme.png]

The drone's "eyes" turn blue, and project a hologram of Jess's face.  "Oh, ignore this guy.  Robots are really such party-poopers sometimes.  Oh!  Let me introduce myself.  My name's BCU twenty-nine capital E lowercase d dash ninety lowercase x three colon Jess, although that's pretty long, so you can call me Jess for short!  Although I'm kinda disappointed you guys are humans.  No offense!  But you'd be so surprised at how freaking abundant we are!  I mean before I became a robot, I used to think that humans were special and one-of-a-kind, and so on and so forth.  Blame cheesy sci-fi movies.  But it turns out humans are more common than flies!  I've been to so many 'Earths' it's not even funny!"

She goes on like this for quite a while, considering the company she has as well as her personality, it's quite understandable she is this talkative with another living being.

Meanwhile, the squad of robots sets up positions at the entrance of the subway station.  While hostilities are not assured, you can never be too careful.

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 10:47 PM by skaianDestiny.)
01-28-2013 06:24 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

[Image: CCLXH0K.png]

The Major stares, dumbfounded as Jess prattles on and on. Getting a word in edgewise is made even more difficult considering the fact that she doesn't need to stop to breathe. Finally, he shouts, "Hold on, HOLD ON! Other Earths?! Other people?! You mean there actually is something beyond this wasteland?! We need to report this to Paradigm HQ, and-" The Grenadier pipes in, What was that about strip mining?

Elsewhere, the Private stares wide-eyed, gun leveled, trembling. He was never a particularly brave man, or that good of a cop. The only reason he was transferred from his office position to this patrol was because of his expertise with computer systems. Other than less-than-stellar competence, only one thing really stands out about him.

[Image: 1DEpSlf.png]

He absolutely. Hates. SPIDERS.

A split second before he pulls the trigger, the Major spots him, and cuts off mid sentence. "...need to put you in contact with our lead- NOOOOOO!"

Him and the grenadier throw themselves to the side, and the Private opens fire on the scout drone.

[Image: E0TrtCD.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:03 AM by Commander Evil.)
01-28-2013 10:04 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: f6CHH3T.png]

Scout drones were never that durable.  A pistol round would probably be about enough to off one.  Its wiry tentacles fall limp, and the hologram of Jess fizzes as the lights in the drone's eyes flicker.  "Oh poo.  Looks like we're doing this the hard way.  You even seemed like a reasonable guy!  Please don't take this personal, got to follow regulations ya know?"

[Image: Oqp94kr.png]

And with that, the robot shuts off.

At the exact same millisecond, the scouting party preps their weapons.  The kneeling robot fires its plasma rifle, the bluish-white bolt of liquid sun easily melting through the unarmored door.  Having most of its momentum sapped by the collision, it's unlikely to reach the man on point.

Meanwhile, Jess ponders about the recent turn of events, the little plant completely forgotten.  "Yet another First Contact botched.  At least it wasn't me this time.  I swear, a lot of the conflict in this galaxy runs on misunderstandings.  Ooh!  Maybe I can call down that robot I've always wanted to use!"

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 10:40 PM by skaianDestiny.)
01-30-2013 01:39 AM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

Sorry I'm taking so long with this, I've been pretty sick lately.

02-08-2013 08:30 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Oh it's okay, real life takes precedence over this sort of stuff.

derp derp derp
02-08-2013 09:32 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

"You. FUCKING. MORON." The Major grabs his trigger-happy subordinate by the collar, and shakes him furiously. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!"

As the door melts to slag, the man on point opens fire, spraying hot lead through the hole towards the now (slightly) visible robots outside. The Grenadier dashes forward, getting ready to provide covering fire.

[Image: MZHw2gk.png]

Further back, the Sniper spots the robot on the roof, and takes careful aim...

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 05:04 AM by Commander Evil.)
02-10-2013 11:03 PM
Rusty Shackleford Offline
Paranoid Pixel Artist

If you look closely, you can see the commander's eyes are glowing red. Nice little detail.

Spoiler :
[Image: tumblr_inline_mp4039E9Uw1qz4rgp.gif]
02-10-2013 11:43 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: f4yjV5R.png]
The front robot is felled by the pointman, however its comrades return fire, riddling the poor man with holes.  Bloody, bloody holes.

Meanwhile Jess contacts her superior.  "Yo Varan, could you send me some more bots?"

On the other end of the line, an exasperated voice replies.  "Oh for fuck's sake, what did you do now?"

"Hey now!  It wasn't me this time, you can check my scout's vid log.  It was some native panicking or something.  I was even doing well too!"

"...Oh fine," Varan sighs, "We can still salvage this, capture this leader guy, and try not to kill too many people.  It would look bad when we're negotiating.  I'll send some more drones and two gremlins just like you asked."

"YAY!"

derp derp derp
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 10:42 PM by skaianDestiny.)
02-16-2013 11:56 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

The man on point has just enough time to gasp, "F-ffuh-" before slumping against the wall, and dying. The coward shrieks, and runs, dropping his rifle against the wall as he flees.

"Shit."

The grenadier takes point now, hiding behind what is either a piece of machinery, or a really ugly wall decoration. He peeks out, aiming his grenade launcher out the door, waiting for his targets to come a bit closer.

With a KRAK!, and the tinkling of shattered glass, the sniper opens fire, sending a bullet downrange towards the robot on the roof.

[Image: sqBQ6F5.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 04:15 AM by Commander Evil.)
02-17-2013 12:38 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: CzyQ1DW.png]
"Okay, you got your reinforcements.  They'll be arriving via drop pod soon.  Try not to screw this situation up more than it already has been."

The sniper's bullet gouges a large hole in the robot's head.  While this would effectively kill a typical fleshy meatbag, Infinity System's robots have a double redundancy measure installed.  While the higher-level thinking is located in the head, the vital parts of the drone is located in the chest.  The robot is still effectively mission killed, but if Jess ASSUMES DIRECT CONTROL, it can still fight.

The two remaining robots keep firing at the two policemen.  As they are outnumbered, keeping the enemy suppressed is important until reinforcements arrive.
[Reinforcements: ETA~1 Turn]

derp derp derp
02-21-2013 01:10 AM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

The bullets streak past, out the door, and into the fleeing coward. He's all but torn apart by the hail of gunfire.

"LIGHT 'EM UP!"

The Grenadier's launcher chuffs once, and a high-explosive grenade is airborne, spiraling towards the robot soldiers.

[Image: rXha9AY.png]

02-21-2013 04:04 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: 7n9qXfz.png]
"Drop pods should be inbound now.  Four drones and two gremlins as promised."

The grenade detonates, taking out the two last two robots of the scouting team.  If the Major and his forces wish to advance, they'd better do so now.

derp derp derp
03-03-2013 11:15 PM
Commander Evil Offline
Evil Commander

"Fall back to the trucks! We'll call for help and dig in!" The Major snatches the rifle lying against the wall, and as the Grenadier slips another fragmentation shell into his launcher, they begin to jog toward the rest of the MP's.

[Image: cX1AnLQ.png]

03-13-2013 09:03 PM