Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Imma make an army.
sroniaZ Offline
Rookie

Imma make an army.

I have thought LONG and HARD about me making an army. I will only be able to work on my army at my school, because I'm a kid. Plus my father grounded me, and I can't go on MY computer. Anyway, I still have to think of a design, and make it come true. Imma be back when I have an idea. CYAS Y'ALL LATER> Grin:P

Just because you can't see me, dosen't mean I can't see you.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 03:50 PM by sroniaZ.)
08-02-2012 03:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Re: sroniaZ's SPYder army

So far it looks much like Bikkel's beronots,
Spoiler: Biklle's BALLS
[Image: armyshit.png]
but more crudely drawn.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
08-02-2012 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghost Offline
Commando

and they only have one leg touching what would be the ground. I'm confused.
I think bro, you should make something a little more original than circles with one pixel legs, because as of current, you have given me no real interesting bits about them other than the fact you named them Spyder. (Also not a name you created, it's the name of a paintball company.)
On the bright side, it looks like you worked on trying to shade them, though it isn't the greatest job ever, it's a good start.
welcome to PW.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 03:12 PM by Ghost.)
08-02-2012 03:09 PM
Reconunit Offline
(under)Pants on head retarded

(08-02-2012 03:09 PM)Ghost link Wrote:  and they only have one leg touching what would be the ground. I'm confused.
I think bro, you should make something a little more original than circles with one pixel legs, because as of current, you have given me no real interesting bits about them other than the fact you named them Spyder. (Also not a name you created, it's the name of a paintball company.)
On the bright side, it looks like you worked on trying to shade them, though it isn't the greatest job ever, it's a good start.
welcome to PW.

Instead of just saying what he's done and not done, I'd suggest also telling him how to do improve and how to do the things he hasn't done. You can't really expect people to just know how to improve things, that's what's constructive criticism is for.
08-02-2012 03:59 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

Well I can't really tell him how to be more interesting or original. Naming, that's also not something I can tell you do to better, I was just letting him know it's a brand. And the shading, I figured I'd have had more time to give him advice and help before I had to run a few errands.
Basically with shading, do the light thing, pretend light shines from say, the top right above your spirite down onto it. Use colours based on that, darker / more blue and red add to make it a darker shade while more green are warmer and thus lighter colours.
08-02-2012 04:17 PM
Reconunit Offline

Well, I kinda got carried away and did one of my text walls again which has some sloppy part explaining shading before I saw your post, but I'll post it anyway and hope it's of use:

Now: First of all, as mentioned they're balancing on only one leg. In PW we have 2 dimensional ground, in other words, in most cases the legs will be in level with each other like this quickly drawn example:
[Image: b455a97e68.png]
The legs of course end up at different elevation when it's standing on uneven ground or going up a hill or whatever vertical surface you end up with in a map.

Another thing you probably should fix is the thickness of the legs, I'm going to post another example:
[Image: 3a6a7c2595.png]
Left is yours, right is a much better looking way. It doesn't look as blocky and more line a long tentacle-ish tube limb thing.

Lastly, I'll show you yet another quick example regarding shading:
[Image: e767749840.png]
The left example shows more how you would do shading on a metal sphere/ball, think about how the light would hit a round object, better yet, find reference photos of round objects on Google or look at any round object you have around. The left one is the same but with details added, take a look at how I used shading to make it appears as if there's these tube things on the side of it. It's really useful to learn how to properly use shading since it's responsible for more or less half of what makes your sprites look good.

And at last, we enter the realm of your army is not interesting to look at and why you should care. Put it this way, a boring and generic army is less interesting to look at and play against/with in a match. What would you rather play against in a match, a army of generic boring looking american soldiers with the same personalities or a giant killer machine that builds smaller robots, reverse engineers your units and adapts to whatever you throw at it?
08-02-2012 04:25 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

Yes. As slice said. Even if you can't set apart your designs to originality, find something interesting to add.
For example one of my armies was incredibly generic green xenos, but to make up for it, I created a rather interesting concept behind them as well as giving them personalities and such. Then again I also created an army that revolved around driving massive battle trains through maps, things like that are what make an army interesting to both read and play with. Though I'd suggest for your first army, and especially until you get more experience in matches to not do anything too over the top, creating a generic first army is from my experience and observation, the usual, it helps you grasp the basics of PW without having to worry about balance too much. Oh and remember, a little creative writing goes a long way.
Would you rather see someone say, "Builder unit 34 builds." Or would you rather read, "The sounds of mechanical parts clash and whirr as builder unit 34's programming tells it to lay brick after brick, though these methods of construction may be primitive, they are still effective."
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 05:31 PM by Ghost.)
08-02-2012 05:27 PM
sroniaZ Offline
Rookie

I am sorry, I didn't know that this was already an idea.

08-02-2012 06:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghost Offline
Commando

It's all good mate.
08-02-2012 07:26 PM
sroniaZ Offline
Rookie

I'm having trouble thinking of an idea. So I've gone fishing.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 03:47 AM by sroniaZ.)
08-02-2012 10:49 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

Re: Gone fishing. Making army later.

Start simple. Like create a human army, doesn't matter if prehistoric, medieval, roman, modern, future, whatever. Just work on improving your skills at drawing and to make up for having such a simple army to practice, give them a backstory you can work on. When I get drawer's block, I go write some backstory or something until I get another unit design in my head.
08-03-2012 04:35 AM
Reconunit Offline

Humans are overrated, just go with whatever pops into your head. It doesn't really matter all that much about how original your army is.
08-03-2012 07:39 AM
Zizou Offline
Private

Find a random word generator on the internet and make an army out of the word that pops out! Or just open a random page in a book/dictionary. Or choose a random article from wikipedia, you get the drift!
08-04-2012 05:07 PM
Agent10361 Offline
The guy with the numbers

I just came up with an idea for you regarding fishing, I don't think anyone has done it, but do warrior fishermen, who use fishing rods as weapons. They swing their rods in circles with large, sharp hooks hoping to "Catch" something.
08-05-2012 11:49 AM
sroniaZ Offline
Rookie

Thank you for the help, I do like Agent10361's idea, I might take it, but I'll try Ghost's idea first.

08-07-2012 02:07 AM
Agent10361 Offline
The guy with the numbers

Just call me agent or 10361. It eventually gets annoying to constantly call me Agent10361. And if you make the fisherman army, I'll have to create something just as weird to oppose you in combat.
08-07-2012 02:12 AM