Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
A journey through time! With Squidbot! (Enormous image dump)
Seventeenth Squid Offline
Victy Master

A journey through time! With Squidbot! (Enormous image dump)

Well army history threads seem to be ALL THE RAGE right now and I'm a total conformist so here goes! I've been here for ages and I have army ADD so I have tons of stuff. I might miss some stuff but oh well!

Behold my first army, the initial version of the MMI! They are robots and they shoot things and oh god there is no shading and black outlines and hrrrrrg.
[Image: VIDZNp.png]
Oh god is that laser cannon growing hair what.

After them came my first attempt at a medieval army, which is also really really awful looking. They are Aztecs. I still used black outlines at that point  :suicide2:
[Image: Tuv190.png]
Look at that strange side/front perspective I don't even know what that's supposed to be.

After them came a run of various armies that aren't worth remembering. All that really matters is they used this template that I had made which for some reason I thought was really good:
[Image: TJulMo.png]
A fun side note about this template was that one player, Zero Armor Clone, continued to use it for years after I had ditched it. I eventually took away his rights to using it just because it made me mad to see it so often.

Then I tried another medieval army, which was actually pretty cool really. They still had black outlines and they were based off that shitty template, but at least they were interesting.
[Image: TL4PZF.png]
They used squid magic and made buildings out of coral slime and were pretty cool. I later remade them.

It was about this point that I realized "wait a minute black outlines look like shit." So I decided to try spriting without them, resulting in these fellows: the Y'obans. Like the Squidjuns above, they looked pretty awful but the concept was cool. They were aliens that had to live inside their base because they couldn't breath oxygen. They used cybernetics to modify themselves to adapt to new environments.
[Image: n1dhu8.png]
Also like the Squidjuns, I eventually resprited them.

I decided at this point to go back and remake the MMI, an army still dear to me, with better spriting. The end result was this huge sheet below:
[Image: dyZ5J4.png]
By my current standards, they look like shit, but at the time I thought they were pretty damn nice.

Trench warfare was all the rage for a bit, a trend I helped to start (gosh I'm so hip). Anyways, for that I made these guys, who were some humorously inept trench warfare guys I just called the Trenchies.
[Image: jhh3hP.png]
As you can clearly see, they are both adorable and not too well sprited. I thought they were quite nice at the time, though. They also represented my shift to my third human template, which had no outlines.

I went on to use that template, slightly changed, to make some characters for an RPG sorta thing that Orindell was running at the time. Unfortunately, because it was run by Orindell, it suffered from a lack of planning, direction and effort and died shortly. The characters themselves are quite cool looking and interesting though, and the ship is pretty cool. They aren't up to my current skill sprite-wise, but the designs are good.
[Image: BtUa4X.png]

Speaking of failed game modes, I eventually made my own called Immortal Empires. It had a really cool concept (at least I think so) but it failed pretty quickly. My army for it featured a new human template that I, and many others, still use to this day. They are servants of the god of metal and are quite honestly very cool looking. I've always liked the look of their heavy troopers, though the vehicles are a bit funky.
[Image: MRCXYs.png]

It was at this point that I started pumping out armies like crazy, so I won't really put these in order.

Some spoooooooky space raider guys with lots of knives and axes and serrated things. And also legs drawn in a really odd perspective. The poses look unnatural as shit.
[Image: jSlleE.png]

Some little steampunk insectoid guys called the Chikri. I used them in one match with Orindell that failed early on. I guess they're sort of a spiritual successor to the Trenchies, and I actually still like them a lot. I may revisit them some day.
[Image: JTSXAa.png]

Communist medieval ants! These were supposed to feature tons of machinery and industry but that was very difficult to do, and I guess that put me off from working on them. Plus their coloration is pretty bad. That ant pike formation is pretty cool looking though.
[Image: nUHTNc.png]

Here's a PPW army that I actually like quite a bit. If I actually liked playing PPW, I would use them more often! Unfortunately I don't really like PPW so I guess they are doomed to rot. They are sentient bits of starstuff called Ferroloths that control metal with magnetic waves and use it to smash things or shield themselves.
[Image: PaoCWw.png]

Some tiny future alien guys with plasma guns that almost nobody here has seen. They use mech suits and jetpacks and dropships. I never actually used them.
[Image: VoClqZ.png]

Some scavenger lizardmen made for an arena game. The backstory was that they lived on a jungle planet where ships kept crash-landing, so they scavenged weapons and parts from crashed ships to make things and augment themselves. I quite like the poses and things on these guys, plus how each one is different and unique. They are still some of my favorite sprites to this day despite being pretty old.
[Image: a9xaNn.png]

A resprite of the Squidjuns. It looks alright, but not great. The coloration never really seemed that good to me, and I stopped working on them.
[Image: akAJ93.png]

A resprite of the Y'obans! Also alright, but again the coloration never looked very good to me.
[Image: whEFlX.png]

An alien bug army. I can't remember why exactly I sprited these, but I like the idea of a coalition of different races all working together. Plus they are bugs, and bugs are cool. I also wanted to try spriting something really vibrant to contrast all the bland colors I kept seeing, but in the end the vibrant colors just seemed annoying.
[Image: M9sTkY.png]

One of the more recent, the sprites for the Confederacy of Allied Planets in Worlds War One. I'm pretty happy with them, and this isn't the whole sheet. The rest is SECRET for the upcoming part II.
[Image: OD8Tte.png]

Alright so finally here are things I have worked on recently. Feel free to critique and comment on these because I am actively revising and changing them!

The third version of the venerable MMI, with more badassery and stompyness than before. I'm really trying to make even the basic soldier units look much tougher and stronger than they did in the older versions, because the MMI are supposed to be a "few but tough" type of army.
[Image: xFsTR5.png]

And a small medieval army that I have barely started that may one day face off against Tendie's boar invader army. They are ant sort of guys based loosely off of 15th-16th century Europeans, especially the Vatican. I haven't done a lot so suggestions or edits to these so far would be nice.
[Image: dZnU8f.png]
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any comments.
03-17-2011 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Collective Mind Offline
Commando

Re: A journey through time! With Squidbot! (Enormous image dump)

Let it be known that Squidbot was a huge inspiration for just about everything I made.

(also what about the red guys in the giant squid robots)

[Image: tumblr_m8ppaeeecR1r7l7cko1_400.png]
03-17-2011 07:10 AM
Victy Master

Like many armies I did they have two versions: one version is MIA but the newer version, which I barely worked on, is still around.
[Image: 2WnDwa.png]
I never could figure out a good way to do legs for them, so I just sorta gave up.
03-17-2011 07:14 AM
SuperChocobo Offline
Super Moderator

I had never seen the Ferroloths before, but they're pretty much the most interesting PPW army I've seen. Also I remember pretty much all these armies, and also remember your first match with the MMI.

Good times.
03-17-2011 08:07 AM
Über Away
pocket

Your Confederacy of Allied Planets units remind me of the mercs from Unreal 2. I don't suppose they gave any inspiration ..?
03-17-2011 08:24 AM
Victy Master

I don't think I've ever played Unreal 2, so not at all. They're mostly inspired by NASA astronaut suits.
03-17-2011 01:05 PM
Tendie Offline
Recruit

Hehehe, On your immortal empires sheet the guy at the bottom right looks like he's dancing a jig.
03-17-2011 02:38 PM
Metal Chao Offline
Administrator

Cubeupload :suicide2:

But hell I've seen most of these before and I can say from memory that they're pretty awesome
I even liked them when you weren't the world's greatest spriter, while they may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing (red/blue spraycan!) they still showed a lot of imagination.
03-17-2011 03:03 PM
Sanzh Offline
Recruit

Basically Squid has been the biggest influence on my spriting and he is soo cooool
BB)

9:20 PM - Seventeenth Squid : sanzh if you were a baby and you were choking
9:20 PM - Seventeenth Squid : i could save the fuck out of you
03-17-2011 05:08 PM
Flummox Offline
Particle Oscillator Extraordinaire

I am love that catholic priest!
03-17-2011 06:58 PM
Tendie Offline
Recruit

(03-17-2011 06:58 PM)Flummox link Wrote:  I am love that catholic priest!
What?
03-18-2011 04:26 AM
Mirokan Offline
Private

Isn't it more like catholic priest love you?

Anyway, most, if not all of these armies are incredibly awesome, though I am somewhat disappointed that you never get to use your giant cannons and robots and things.

[Image: ileEZqo.gif]
03-18-2011 04:52 AM
Flummox Offline
Particle Oscillator Extraordinaire

In the mini ant dueds, and mirokan that's also why I'm not catholic.
03-18-2011 06:02 AM
DuncanFrost Offline
Recruit

I really like the Ferroloths! That lighting and shading are fantastic. I like how you can actually see how your spriting improved as you look at each sheet  :3:
03-18-2011 11:47 AM
Ross Offline
Private

(03-17-2011 07:05 AM)Seventeenth Squid link Wrote:  One of the more recent, the sprites for the Confederacy of Allied Planets in Worlds War One. I'm pretty happy with them, and this isn't the whole sheet. The rest is SECRET for the upcoming part II.

Now this I'm looking forward to. Spacefight!
03-18-2011 08:05 PM
KommradKommissar Offline
The Old Breed

I'm Catholic. :saddowns:

[Image: LOWHANGING.gif]
03-20-2011 04:45 PM
Yuskolov Offline
Commando

Downs indeed
03-20-2011 05:31 PM
KommradKommissar Offline
The Old Breed

Oh man. Now thats a burn.

[Image: LOWHANGING.gif]
03-20-2011 06:52 PM
Battul Offline
Particle Oscillation Major-General

RE: A journey through time! With Squidbot! (Enormous image dump)

Gr8 sprites m8, happy birthday too.
Fitting thread name also.

A New Oscillation
1999-????
08-22-2015 08:26 AM
Pookaball Offline
Commando

I'm downloading all of those spritesheets

[Image: yEh4k6n.gif] [Image: 3JSYyE7.gif]
08-22-2015 04:19 PM
Victy Master

Just stopped by and was surprised to see this video bumped to the front page. Thanks for the birthday wishes and the compliments, you guys are the bomb. Here's a late reverse birthday present; that is, from me to you. It's most of my recent-ish sprite work compiled into one image. Feel free to download it, poke it, tear it up, copy paste it, reupload it and tattoo it on your arse. Just tip a little credit my way if you do ;)
[Image: G8HcUuw.png]
09-12-2015 10:48 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Nice to see you again Squid! I really enjoyed your PtV story line.

derp derp derp
09-12-2015 05:17 PM