Civilization - Lost in Chaos
Elf
Unregistered

Civilization - Lost in Chaos

Hello and welcome to civilization.

Introduction

Here is a beautiful quote from a lovely Cheshire cat about the gamemode:

Spoiler: Chesire_cat's quote
Quote:For those who don't know about the Civilization gamemode, which was originally developed on Facepunch Studios:
Civilization, or Civ for short, is a unique type of gamemode developed by Penguinnnnnn... something, back when I first started Pixel Wars. Around early 2010, I believe.
Joining users create their own little map and build structures, forge alliances, go to war, and etc.
How to tie all these maps together? The World Map.
The World Map is a grid of tiles, and each tile represents a user's map.
Armies move between these tiles and stuff like that.
One traditional part of Civ is Diploland or Diplomatic Land, which is a certain tile where 'players and rival armies can sort out their differences in peace'.
For the few matches where it was included, it never did its main function, much like the UN.
During the Great Civilization War, it actually served as the base of Shadowcat's Imperial Army.
The aforementioned Great Civilization War was the longest Civ match ever, between the Resistance (Elf as the Star Wars rebels, me as the White Ones Seafleet, Technologic as MERC Co, Icebrigade as a captured Covenant Assault Carrier, and McPawz as a robot-magic army) and Shadowcat's Star Wars Imperial Army. Although the match died before it could end, the Resistance was certain of defeat, partially due to Elf going 'Order 66' and murdering his allies.
Part I: The Seeds of War
Part II: The War Begins

General Guidelines

For this gamemode to work there is some basic guidelines that must be followed in addition to the general unspoken PW rules (such as no nukes).
  • Firstly, I must clarify, it does not matter how rubbish your army looks. As long as it isn't eye rape or completely horrible, and you've put effort into it, you can join. There is no 'post your sheet' requirement.
  • To join, you simply declare on an object called the world map. When you declare on the world map, you simply add your birds-eye view terrain to one of the tiles (it should match with the tiles around it, and should also match the map you are using). Don't forget to add your name (not just the first letter either, a reasonable portion of your name - three letters usually works fine)!
  • If the world map is full show your interest and it could be expanded. The starting point will be 16 players.
  • You then make your map. The maximum size is 4000 x 2000 (ish), but I reccomend you make your map as you go along, and start small. With permission, if it is not your own, you are allowed to use a pre-made map by yourself or someone else.
  • Once you've done this, and you've put your starting sprites on your map, you can post it. From here you develop your civilization.
  • Whenever you want to edit a map, you must declare on it. For example, if you want to edit your own map you'd say "declare mine".
  • Stack declaring is not allowed. You cannot say "declare after so&so" you must just "declare playername" when no one else has previously declared on "playername".
  • Pixel Wars is about having fun. It's not about winning, it's not about losing. It's not about complete realism either, just look at half of the armies! So remember to enjoy the game.
  • As a final note: if you have questions, post them. Lurker or not, post them. Everyone and anyone will help! Also, I must clarify this is a community-type game. Everyone here runs it together rather than one person or a select few people.
  • You can only declare if someone has posted a turn in between your last declare.

Gameplay
  • Many wonder how many units they should start with or what technology they should be in. In the past many civilizations have followed a slow structure, however this either led to speedbuild being called out every post or inactivity. For this reason you should build your base at a moderate speed; this does not mean construct an entire fortification in a turn it simply means you can progress swiftly. Even though this is the case, you should try to detail your posts as much as possible.
  • When choosing your starting units it is wise to consider the circumstances. If you're playing as a medieval army you're going to need a load of tactics, traps and tricks to be able to defeat a futuristic army; so think about what sort of defences would be good in this scenario, and what units you need to man these defences. Also consider your attack and production, after all you've got to have a way of surviving!
  • You may not play as one unit unless someone invites you to play as one unit who is part of/allied with their faction. There must be no more than one one-unit player in the same faction/invited by the same user. For example, the wookies, under control of Fred, can invite Chewbacca, owned by Jack, to be a part of their faction, however Fred may not invite any other one-unit armies, or armies altogether, to join his wookies.
  • On this note it would wise to say that it's best not to have two armies living in the same starting territory; you may however merge/conquer and join forces alter on.

Travelling
  • You may only move horizontally or vertically (in relation to the world map).
  • The world map is not like a globe; you cannot go from the left side to the right side in one turn, or the top to the bottom.
  • You cannot move diagonally.

Infections

Another valiant quote from Lord Cheshire himself,

Spoiler: Cheshire_cat's second quote
Quote:Let me make an unofficial rule for infection armies:
You can't spread from one tile to another intentionally.
Say, the Doughnut Army lands a ship in an infected tile. If the infection can hitchhike on board the ship and back to their main base, they can spread through that tile.
Although 'changing the molecular structure' of the base and making death-drop holes appear beneath enemy units, that's cheap.
Covering the walls with biological material, yes. Somehow tearing holes in the floor despite the material merely clinging to it, no.
I suppose that's good enough for now. Infection armies have to have some restraints, or else it's irritating to start building your structure and suddenly infection units burst through the floor and walls.

Conquering/Winning/Being Victorious
  • To win you must make everyone surrender, destroy everyone, or own everyone's territories, or a combination of all three.
  • You may conquer how you wish, but it's not very wise to walk into a territory put a flag down and say "this is mine!" as it obviously isn't yours.
  • By tradition, in previous civilization threads, people have put emblems on their own and conquered tiles. This isn't required but it does help to see where you have conquered.

World Map

This probably isn't the latest, but it's a good reference for movement.
[Image: 7b3bee0cb2.png]

P.S.: If anyone wants to be diploland they can (only one person). Preferably you know what it is and how you should play it; everyone will also know who and where you are (your force, units) due to you being a diplomatic stronghold. You may take a side/exterminate everyone, but people are encouraged to visit your residence to trade with other nations.

Don't declare or join this if you are going on a week holiday or whatever within the next few weeks; and don't join if you're worried you won't be able to declare at least once every few days.

Any questions, just ask.

[align=center]Thread music, for anyone that remembers the civ thread I posted this in last time.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9-ijq3TI4[/youtube]
03-12-2011 11:52 AM
Quote this message in a reply
wad67 Offline
Recruit

Re: Civilization - Lost in Chaos

I cant wait to see what everyone will be making!
Actually yes, i'm going to declare!
Declare!
[Image: fa4cfdcb5d.PNG]
Ok i have done my bit of the world map, now I work on the Game play map?
Does this mean the next person gets to declare? or do i have to finish my Game play map?
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 12:59 PM by wad67.)
03-12-2011 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elf
Unregistered

The next person can declare. The maps and world map is separate; they all have their own declare procedures.
03-12-2011 01:15 PM
Über Away
pocket

Declare WM.
03-12-2011 01:23 PM
wad67 Offline
Recruit

[Image: b854866d2b.png]
The scout ship touches down,its sensor net is crippled, and its almost out of fuel.
One Eye asks, "will we ever get this bucket back up again?"
To his grand disappointment the small and sturdy pilot droid replied, "no, unless we can get a new Harpy class 60 plasma generator that runs on spent uranium, we are trapped here."
One Eye thinks for a moment, "can we contact command?"
"Communications are down sir"
The scout bot beeps inquisitively ,
"Your right scout #19887 , there may be other civilizations on the mountainous pile of excrement,"
Shouts One Eye through their crippled communications relay.
"First Priority is to get this double damned ship back up and running,I knew we should have put more than five thousand credits in this thing...",
"Scout! Start looking for any forms of civilization on this .. planet."

[br]

EditeOhNo[time]1299936696[/time]
Oh wait, should this go back on my fisrt post, or do i have to declare again?
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 01:34 PM by wad67.)
03-12-2011 01:30 PM
Elf
Unregistered

It is fine. :v: You don't have to declare on your own territory, but I personally recommend it (what if you're editing when someone declares on you! :O).

Just post everything you post in a new post, then it bumps the topic so others can see progress is made.
03-12-2011 01:32 PM
Über Away
pocket

[Image: Kvg7JN.png]

I'm contemplating which army to use here. Using my Soviets involves getting off my arse and making something for a change.
03-12-2011 01:32 PM
wad67 Offline
Recruit

Am i allowed to update my last post with more map to it?, not an extra turn or anything i just want to expand the enviroment , so it has the forest and the beach, ect it so it ties in well with my World map thingy.
Never mind, I'll just add more, next declare....
03-12-2011 01:37 PM
Elf
Unregistered

Expand it on your next declare, remember you can only declare after someone else has been.
03-12-2011 01:38 PM
Ruski Offline
Private

Declare WM.

Press butan reciev postcount.<br /><br />
Quote:Denmen: Dude, being gay or pretending to be gay is awesome.
03-12-2011 01:45 PM
Ruski Offline
Private

[Image: RoGcd2.png]

Press butan reciev postcount.<br /><br />
Quote:Denmen: Dude, being gay or pretending to be gay is awesome.
03-12-2011 02:01 PM
Dr.Velociraptor Offline
Commando

Declare WM.
03-12-2011 02:01 PM
Dr.Velociraptor Offline
Commando

[Image: cd1e63414c.png]

A mountain surrounded by a thick forest is undergoing the process of being inhabited.

And yes that is a very thick forest.
03-12-2011 02:30 PM
Creeding Offline
Private

Declare World Map.

Sah-Nnd
A cloudless sky hangs dormant over the desert plain of Sah-Nnd (Sand).
This bare 300 mile squared stretch of dusty nothingness houses nothing ... nothing but a but a mere rock. How inconspicuous.

[Image: WM4.png]

Less is more?

[center][Image: NT1.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT210.png]<br /><br />[Image: NT34.png]<br />[/center]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 03:12 PM by Creeding.)
03-12-2011 02:35 PM
DuncanFrost Offline
Recruit

Declare~
03-12-2011 03:13 PM
warhamer Offline
Private

darn ninja  :argh:
03-12-2011 03:18 PM
Dr.Velociraptor Offline
Commando

Ok I have a question, if someone is declaring their own territory or the world map, can others still declare their own territories?
Like say if person A. declares on the world or on his territory, can person's B, C and D declare on their respective territories?
03-12-2011 03:21 PM
Elf
Unregistered

Yeap, everything has it's own declare slot.
03-12-2011 03:23 PM
Kamiko Offline
Private

Mind If I add some stuff to the World map like snow?

[Image: yitmVv.gif]<br />I'm probably at work doing stuff with stuff about stuff.
03-12-2011 03:28 PM
DuncanFrost Offline
Recruit

[Image: zMSy0.png]

Declaring on my map now too.
03-12-2011 03:34 PM
warhamer Offline
Private

Declare WM
A large mountain ranges runs East while continuing North and a oasis to the west it is so large that the other side cannot be seen from here.

[Image: civmatchworldmap.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 04:00 PM by warhamer.)
03-12-2011 03:34 PM
Kamiko Offline
Private

Why cant we just post our map in with the "World map" post.
[br]

EditeOhNo[time]1299946188[/time]
Declare WM
Please excuse my double post.

[Image: yitmVv.gif]<br />I'm probably at work doing stuff with stuff about stuff.
03-12-2011 03:39 PM
DuncanFrost Offline
Recruit

[Image: ujfPA.png]

Dawn breaks across a valley isolated deep in the mountains, illuminating the shattered bodies of strange alien machines, as it has done for decades. Nothing stirs as the birds begin to sing.
03-12-2011 04:01 PM
Dr.Velociraptor Offline
Commando

I think we should add snow, except you would think a high mountain would already have snow on it.

Oh and declare self.
03-12-2011 04:01 PM
warhamer Offline
Private

That would be nice and declare self too.
03-12-2011 04:03 PM