Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pandarsenic [Ithaca Project] vs. Flummox - Derailing the Thread <_<
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

Pandarsenic [Ithaca Project] vs. Flummox - Derailing the Thread <_<

[img height=200]http://i.imgur.com/i2TXr.png[/img]

"Comin' in hot and spicy, boys! Hold onto your handrails 'cause these dropships aren't meant for deploying on trains!" the pilot called out as they dropped from the sparse cloud cover to being just above the train's last car in the course of about thirty seconds.
"FFFFFFUUUUUU-" "FUCKING HELL ANTHONYYYYYY" "WHY IS HE ALLOWED TO FLY!? WHY IS ANTHONY ALLOWED TO PILOT ANYTHING, EVER!?"
"Good luck, kids! Hatch is opening!" Anthony answered them smugly. "Do be sure to win, won't you? It'd be a shame to lose that base we took so soon!"
Steel hit steel as the Ithaca Project soldiers landed. Every single one of them was a mechanized human volunteer, a person rebuilt into an engine of war optimized for its combat role.

Their goal, in a broad sense, was to end war.

The entire planet was scarred by decades of battles by a number of factions and subfactions. The Ithaca Project was an application of cutting edge technology intended to outclass every other group's combat capabilities; they were small in number, but elite; in a cramped environment like on the train, one Hoplite shield would be able to screen most of a corridor, though the rather wide hallways would allow any Apollo Riflemen (or as everyone called them, riflemen) to peek out from around the shield and fire.

And neither heaven nor hell could help the enemy if their Steppin' Razor got in range.

"I'd feel a lot better with a Silenus leading the way. I didn't think it'd be wide enough for one, but it looks like it actually is," the Steppin' Razor commented."

"... And how, precisely, do you propose we'd get it here?" one of the Tactical Chameleonic Operatives pointed out. To be fair, his disregard for the issue likely arose from that he would be operating, probably with the exception of his partner, almost completely solo for the entire mission. If they couldn't secure the whole train in time, it was the job of the TCOs to at least bomb the cannon controls to stall the train at their (stolen/conquered) fortification's gates. They were a pair of brothers from the frozen north, Mikhail and Anatoly, who had defected from another faction over disputes of policy. Mikhail had a flair for the theatrical, while Anatoly was more strictly utilitarian. Both, of course, were reliable enough to be trusted with material for 12 high-powered explosives each and their Tactical Chameleonic optical camo units. Anatoly, naturally, had been the one to speak up. Mikhail loved the idea of rolling over the train with a Silenus, crashing through the walls of each train car in turn.

"Initial area looks clear," Mikhail added as he and Anatoly checked the landing zone cloaked. A Hoplite dropped down the hatch to the interior without descending the ladder, followed by most of the Riflemen as they undid their quick-release rifle straps to prepare for the upcoming confrontation. They gave a quick scoped sweep of the top areas of the train.

"That is entirely more of those gun things than I'm comfortable with having anywhere around this train," one commented. Another Hoplite and the Steppin' Razor moved to descend as well.

"Let's secure the main part of the train as fast as possible," one of the Hoplites advised. "It'll take them some time to disconnect the cars behind the main body, but we can't really call in reinforcements until we know they won't have the option to just blow it off or the dropship might not be available to hard-drop a strike team on top of the main car."

"Why didn't we just start with the main car?"

"Because like as not, they're mostly around there and have had at most half a minute to send someone this way. They were probably expecting that and sent most of their initial guard force up there. We'll still have to fight them, but we won't be disoriented from Anthony's... 'adventurous' piloting as the fighting starts, this way."

"Ah."

"Enough talk. Let's move out. We have quite a bit of ground to cover."

[img height=200]http://i.imgur.com/D4PFR.png[/img]
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 10:16 PM by Pandarsenic.)
10-25-2011 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Glowsticks Offline
Private

Re: Pandarsenic [Ithaca Project] vs. Flummox - Rail Against Injustice?

Use the direct  image on imgur not the link, it makes them too small on the page.

[Image: w3Ypa.gif]<br />Hobbesy: &quot;How dare you not include the second letters. You monster.&quot;<br />HK will decimate these disgusting hippies.
10-25-2011 06:17 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

or use the forum uploader.

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-25-2011 07:20 PM
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

(10-25-2011 06:17 PM)Glowsticks link Wrote:  Use the direct  image on imgur not the link, it makes them too small on the page.
(10-25-2011 07:20 PM)Optimus Lime link Wrote:  or use the forum uploader.
If you check the code of the post, you'll I specifically elected to thumbnail them because the damn things are 4000 pixels wide, making them a little over 3 times the width of my screen. I'm not able to scroll easily because my mouse is, ahem, nonfunctional.
10-25-2011 08:06 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

Get a new mouse, it's painful to have to click on the thumbnails every time.

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-25-2011 08:10 PM
Metal Chao Offline
Administrator

If someone wishes to use thumbnails for a massive 4000 pixel wide image I would call that sensible rather than stupid.
Also it's none of your business.

One other possibility would be to use spoiler tags so that the image hides itself entirely until a box is clicked, at which point it appears at full size and on the page.
10-25-2011 08:33 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

Sorry it seemed mean, I was kind of being flamed on a different forum :P
Also, why are your men all in front of the safety rail? Are they on the edge?

10-25-2011 08:39 PM
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

(10-25-2011 08:39 PM)Optimus Lime link Wrote:  Sorry it seemed mean, I was kind of being flamed on a different forum :P

It wasn't mean phrasing, it was a dumb request.

And they are in front of the safety rail because that's how they roll and because I fell asleep while making the turn. I'll fix it later. Thanks for pointing it out.
10-25-2011 09:00 PM
Metal Chao Offline
Administrator

(10-25-2011 08:39 PM)Optimus Lime link Wrote:  Sorry it seemed mean, I was kind of being flamed on a different forum :P
Having a bad day is no excuse to snap at other people over stuff that has nothing to do with you.
No more discussion of this topic please, by either of you.
10-25-2011 09:12 PM
Flummox Offline
Particle Oscillator Extraordinaire

Re: Pandarsenic [Ithaca Project] vs. Flummox - Derailing the Thread <_<

And so, after ten days of thinking of an army idea, then making said army, then writing backstory, then making turn, involving lots and lots of procrastination, the second turn of the match is posted.
Here it is.

********************************************************************************​***************************************************

When the world descended into chaos and war, each nation needed space and resources. For factories, for barracks, for research labs. For everything. Each country destroyed anything that was unnecessary to make more space. Luxury shops and plants were torn down. Farm fields were burned. But what wastes more time, space, and manpower than prisons?
Each nation needed a place to put their prisons and its inmates. One nation adopted the policy that a prisoner could join the military and serve his country, and when his term was over, he would be freed. The other option was that they were to be executed. One by one the nations began to copy this policy, but one group of nations stood apart. These countries named themselves the Union of Giyatti, after the leader of one of them, and they did not believe in the death penalty. Though they adopted the same policy, they decided to force the inmates who refused to enter military service into a life sentence within one massive prison.
As the battles wore on, however, the Union found they needed the land and men that the giant prison complex ate up. A committee decided that to gain back those wasted resources, the prison had to be moved to outside Earth's atmosphere.
Christened Incarcerea, the enormous prison ship measured fourty-eight kilometers from bow to exhaust, and featured everything anyone would need, including a park with real trees. A crew of twelve thousand was chosen to serve upon it, and an onboard cloning system ensured that the crew was always restocked and that there was ample supply of hands. Giyatti himself was chosen as Captain, and it was launched on a fine summer day in the midst of July.
Incarcerea was designed to stay in geostationary orbit until the political turmoil calmed down. It would then descend to Earth and the inmates would be transferred to a normal facility again.
No one had given much thought to the idea that the Union of Giyatti would, after Giyatti's new duties, be without his insightful and gentle hand to guide the Union, unfortunately. The new leader, a man named Syn Uaddi, was a terrible leader. He brought about a spell of famine and drought. His punishment was far too harsh, and he crumbled the economic system. In short, he brought about the downfall of the Union. The defenceless capitol was destroyed at the hands of barbarians.
Without communication to the Union, Incarcerea was isolated. Giyatti knew he couldn't return while the war was raging, yet he also knew that they would never be able to tell when they could go home. He was caught a massive dilemma.
Worse yet, the prisoners found out about their position. Instigating a rebellion, they planned to return Incarcerea to Earth, where they could be free. None gave a thought to the continuous battles going on there.
Unfortunately, the ship's navigation systems were damaged in the fighting. Incarcerea went berserk and jettisoned itself into a nearby solar system. The ship crashed onto one of the planets. Most of the crew was killed in the crash, along with about a third of the prisoners. Luckily, the planet was quite similar to Earth. It had a viable atmosphere, similar temperature ranges, and was covered in water. In fact, there was no land.
With the ship quickly sinking, the remaining prisoners and crew forged an unsteady alliance in what they thought to be their final hours. They all thought they were about to die when a brilliant scientist came up with the idea to modify the cloning equipment to save their lives. He took a sample of his DNA and spliced an amalgam of sea creature DNA into it. Using this new genome, he replicated a few of his body parts and had the surgeon replace them for him. He became a real life Frankenstein. He repeated the procedure for the surviving crew and inmates. Since it was such a last ditch effort, none gave a thought to how their appearance would be forever marred.
With the ship filling up with water, all they could do was wait and hope that the modifications worked.
They did.
The ship sank to the bottom of the ocean, and they built a massive and beautiful city around it. They named it Hydroa.
Hundreds of years later, the Hydroains returned to Earth. They were surprised to see the fighting continuing. They had expected all of humanity to be dead. But no matter. That can be arranged.

Most, if not all, Hydroains are almost religiously devoted to the idea that they are genetically superior to the Humans and that the Earth is rightfully theirs. They believe that it is their duty to kill off all of humanity and to flood the Earth to make it more suitable to their conditions.

Since they've had to develop their technology from everything found within the wreck of Incarcerea, they have relatively backwards methods from their human counterparts. Guns do not work well underwater, so much of their weaponry is made up of blades and harpoons, as well as some energy weapons. Since Incarcerea was a prison ship and many of the surviving devices were designed to inflict large amounts of pain but not much damage, they are especially advanced in weapons whose main function is to cause pain. Their vehicles use a relatively new and experimental technology which allows them to use water as fuel. In addition, they have incredibly advanced biotechnology. A fanatic discipleship of the original scientist who saved the entire Hydroain race has caused thousands of Hydroains to devote themselves to the science of biology.
Utilizing the remaining cloning equipment, they created a system of artificial reproduction. Using the amalgamated DNA from their modified body parts, they took chromosome pairs from two of them and mashed them together in a synthetic egg. The cloning system was reprogrammed to make slight mistakes in the cloning procedure, thus replicating the mutations involved in natural reproduction.
Thus, a child was “born.”

[Image: 9ee0396a05.png]

It's been three days since we stole this train. Or was it five? I haven't been counting. We don't know where the train is running to. But we do know that where it stops, there will be humans. And where there are humans, there is work to be done.
We are but a few. But a dedicated few. And where there is belief, there is possibility.
My two fellow officers and I are doing a fine job of keeping the men in good spirits. This is almost a suicide mission. Or it was intended to be. But the odds have all been in our favor so far. Perhaps the cannon on the locomotive will tip the battle to our pleasing. May Mother Kelp keep us lucky.
I have got an engineer poking around the train. He nor I can figure out how this thing is running. I suspect it has something to do with the machinery on the bottom floor...but it is unlike anything we have seen before. And I have studied human technology. I hope it to be science... surely the Lords do not look in favor to the humans enough to gift them with magic?
Oddly enough, we have figured out how to work the vending machines. They dispense some sort of consumable. A fiendish beverage that boils over and hisses like the tongues of a thousand snakes. It tastes of synthetic brightness and sugary artificiality. A sacrilege against the ocean and its pure waters.
A voice snaps me out of my thoughts.
"Officer! We have detected an unusual amount of air disturbance above the train!"
It's the man at the control panel. I'm not sure how to answer.
"It probably isn't anything of importance. A storm cloud or some weather phenomenon."
But just to assure him, I tell him that if anyone notices anything strange, they will report to one of us. We have troops stationed throughout the train. And the sniper will guard the locomotive against anything trying to enter.
The train continues to glide along its soon-to-be bloody rails.
11-06-2011 09:57 AM
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

Sensors re-calibrated. Enemies detected.

"Opfors! Take 'em down!"

The Apollo Rifleman falling into the train twist and snaps off a three-round burst, guided by his augs, as he falls; at this range, the Hydroain is easily perforated. The door slides open in response to the Hoplite's presence; the Hoplite raises his shield up to block impending fire. Upon the roof of the car, a Hoplite sprints forward and leaps off, hiding behind his shield as he aims to land at the second car. Behind him, the last Hoplite slides into place to them.

"Tag him before he gets on the gun!" a TCO calls out; in perfect synchronization, the one already hanging leaps across the gap while the other drops to where the first was as their Tactical Chameleonics engage.

The front rifleman raises his gun and fires off a burst, the recoil pulling the shots up the body of the Hydroain across from him.

"Fuck! We're getting our sensors done properly before we drop next time," a rifleman declares hotly as he drops down the ladder.

The long, Australian history of the Hydroains means nothing them - they see only threats to be eliminated. Not even the instinctive revulsion at their mutated forms appears in the Ithacan eyes. Their killing is dispassionate, computer-aided, and chillingly efficient.

[img height=200]http://i.imgur.com/YbyWT.png[/img]
11-06-2011 08:41 PM
Flummox Offline

[Image: cde65fd0dd.png]

With the stress of our current position and the likelihood that most of us are going to die, I decided to take a walk on the roof of one of the cars. In solitude of course -- a little relaxation by yourself is good for stress. I mean, normally you'd expect to see an officer surrounded by his men. But that's a little... much. Too much chaos and noise. The only sound is the wind whistling through my cap, and the silence is peaceful. An island of peace amidst an ocean of violence.
But little do I know, that island is soon to be sunken like the bowels of the ancient legend of Atlantis, and like our own beautiful Hydroa.
A whirring noise screams overhead. Gangly and massive figures drop from the skies, black against the bright of the sun. Like spiders dropping on an invisible, gossamer thread to stop inches above your face. But these spiders do not stop. They hit the roof of the next car with a heavy thud. They draw weapons of steel and iron, polished armor gleaming in the noonday sun.
I draw my pistol, ready to shoot, and shout, "Who are you?!" across the gap, but my voice is lost in the wind. I do not know if they heard me or not. But they answer with gunfire.
My blood. At least, I think it is mine. Whose else would it be? I felt nothing.
My blood. It's red. The same hue as human blood. Thickly, it swirls around my prone body, mixing with dirt and rust.
I can see parts of my skeleton through the tatters of torn skin. Bits of my entrails fall, grotesquely, out of my dying body. Human-like entrails. Perhaps we are not so different, them and us. The same on the inside. Perhaps we are equals... equal in mind as well as body.
My thoughts go to peace, between the Hydroains and the humans. I can only wish for it, before darkness encompasses my vision, and my heavy-lidded eyes close, slowly, as the rattling breath of Lord Moray guides me to the afterlife.
11-07-2011 01:23 AM
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

Mikhail vaults up and balances, still cloaked, on the minigun. Raising his hand, the rail system integrated into his arm fires a cable that arcs through the air.

"Well, I tagged something," he comments as the cloaked cable anchors itself. He shrugs. "Wish me luck when I reel myself in." Anatoly hops the gap to land behind him.

Below him, the Hoplite lands and stabs the Hydroain with the gun. "... I don't think they even have ballistic armor," he states dumbly as the spear passes through the Hydroain without even slowing.

"He threw a spear. Is this some kind of fucking joke?" the Hoplite behind him comments as his shield begins repairing the scoring from the green blast, only for the spear to bounce off it harmlessly.

"Why are WE being deployed here?" the Hoplite still atop the train asks as his leg augmentations send him sailing easily over the gap between the trains.

"Hell if I know," an Apollo answers as they move out. "Maybe we could just secure a foothold on the main car and let the TCOs force them to surrender?

[img height=200]http://i.imgur.com/VHnVA.png[/img]
11-09-2011 12:38 AM
Flummox Offline

[Image: 4241dbf07e.png]
As I had stepped outside of the car into the blinding sunlight, maintaining an engaging conversation with my friend, walking beside me, the muffled noise of something heavy landing on metal brought my attention.
I alerted my companion, and as we watched, figures began to drop from the roof of the next car.
Unable to see into the sun, and thrown off by surprise, my first shot missed completely and hit the doorway. Not that it would have done much good anyway -- I crouched and my second shot had hit the figure spot on. But it was completely unharmed.
My comrade had sensibly waited for an opportune moment to throw his harpoon, and he did so now. But it too was useless against some sort of armour protecting them.
Now, another one falls from the sky, and his spear flows into my body like a knife into water -- entirely no resistance and utterly silent. I grasp the shaft of the spear in disbelief. It truly is magic. These beings...they are immortal. The Lords have cursed us... or are these something entirely different? The embodiment of some Earthly religion, come to save them? Why else would they be taller than possible for a human? Why else would they be immune to our weapons? And why else would they fall from the sky, from nowhere, to slaughter us mercilessly?
My friend runs off, gibbering. For good reason. I can almost feel the light touch of Lord Moray as he stands over my shoulder, waiting to take me into death.
11-15-2011 07:20 AM
Pandarsenic Offline
Private

Before the Hydroain is dead, the nanobots that maintain the spearpoint cleanse it of his blood. "It's kinda odd."

"What is?"

"Their blood. It's red."

"What did you expect?"

"Green, maybe? I dunno."

"Green? Why would it be green?"

"Well, their skin is green..."

"Your skin is brown. That doesn't follow at all."

"Maybe it was the face tentacles."

"See, that makes more sense."

Their radio chatter is cut off by an Apollo: "Our augs can't jump us over those train rooftops. We'll have to go inside the cars."

Then-

*Bonk* "Auh! Son of a-" The radios light up before they realize the careless Hoplite leading on the first car had bumped his head on the ceiling and called out from surprise.

"Don't scare us like that," Anatoly reprimands as Mikhail uses a trick he'd learned from his counterpart, pulling his wire taut and sliding on the rail, sparks flying from his foot as he began to accelerate.

"Hey, someone check with command if we can dig in on the main part of the train and just send the Tacticals for the officers. They... Come on, they threw a spear at us- shit, man, your bots!"

The absentminded leading Hoplite hurriedly shuts off the spear nanobots which just consumed the Hydroain corpse and were about to begin dismantling the train.

"Come on, that's no reason to get sloppy."

[Image: 8d4c4648dd.png]
12-05-2011 09:04 AM