Dawisko Offline
No-Life

RE: The Work In Progress Thread

[Image: saQm3DY.png]

Hi, so... I did something.

"My half ass idea just went whole."
Spoiler: Don't click plis.
[Image: B96YP8I.jpg]
Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
04-23-2017 03:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vexrak Offline
Space Trash

Warham RE: The Work In Progress Thread

I'm gonna be creating two new armies! Both are heavily under development, so much so, I might as well not even post it.

One is a race of humanoid, blue (sometimes purple) skinned, nomadic desert dwellers dressed in old cloth cloaks and scrap metal plates. Most of their technology is out of date and has a fairly worn desert camo aesthetic. Their home planet Trov-β 8M6, although mainly desert, it's fairly cool, hence why they wear cloaks, and are able to wear metal plates with out over heating.

[No artwork has been finished for this army so far]

->|<-

The other army is a technologically advanced faction of humans from a colony based on planet, Xeron-Ω 1A9. It's an amalgamation of plains, ocean, forest and mountainous regions (quite similar to Earth). Structures are rare on this planet, as it's at least twice as big as Earth and is only inhabited by a military colony.

Their weaponry is regularly plasma based ranged weapons, which ranges from hand guns to giant artillery cannons, though they also use phase shifted hard light melee weapons. Phase shifted hard light is used for defense as well, they use it to create shields that will block most other light based weapons, though it does a poorer job against physical based weapons. They use an assortment of vehicles, mainly mechs and dropships, but they have access to all types if needed (rovers, gunships, water based ships). Their palette consists of white, grey, orange and rarely dark blue.

Here's the only infantry unit I have done so far:

[Image: X1hSsjN.png]

The art is very experimental too, criticism is highly appreciated, especially negative criticism, that way I can learn what I need to improve. :D
Sorry for the huge mess of un-organized crap, hopefully it's not too bad, but being very tired seems to have negative effect on my writing. Uh Huh

P.S. Shout out to whoever gets the phase shifted hard light reference.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2017 01:41 PM by Vexrak.)
04-23-2017 01:30 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

(04-23-2017 01:30 PM)Vexrak Wrote:  The art is very experimental too, criticism is highly appreciated, especially negative criticism, that way I can learn what I need to improve. :D

The only real thing to note is the pose. It seems very rigid.
Of course this isn't a problem if that is the intended look, or if that's just a base pose to sculpt other poses around.

I will also note that the colours might blur together when viewed at 100% zoom. This can be both good or bad, depending on whether the colours help define the shape or not. If colours are a problem i recommend higher contrast and fewer shades.
04-24-2017 05:08 PM
Vexrak Offline
Space Trash

Okay, thanks! Do you have any tips on creating natural poses? I'm only decent at making robotic type things.
04-25-2017 06:30 AM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

(04-25-2017 06:30 AM)Vexrak Wrote:  Okay, thanks! Do you have any tips on creating natural poses? I'm only decent at making robotic type things.

Generally 90 degree angles are a no-go for organic posing. In certain situations it can work but you'll want to angle things to make them seem alive.

Your example isn't a terrible job, although playing around with different positions can help you find a good pose.
04-26-2017 07:13 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

(04-23-2017 03:13 AM)Dawisko Wrote:  [Image: saQm3DY.png]

Those look good so far, I like the helmeted guy. Their skin is maybe too saturated or their faces need some detail like a mouth or some eyes. If you don't want to do that, try more elements like that balaclava or bandanas, gas masks, night vision, etc.
(04-23-2017 01:30 PM)Vexrak Wrote:  [Image: X1hSsjN.png]
I think the plating on your robot should be darkened a little, or use more of your shadow value. The yellow looks okay but blends a little into the rest of it's head.
[Image: ZxdmFAc.png]
I've been trying out different ideas for base stuff. This is a small factory powered by some wacky tesla coil thing.
04-29-2017 03:55 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

(04-23-2017 03:13 AM)Dawisko Wrote:  [Image: saQm3DY.png]

I'm wondering why these guys lack any facial detail. I tried to add it, looks OK in my opinion. Also, I quite dislike the headgear, it looks like a light cap, not a ballistic helmet. So I tried to sprite it and it's also OK.
[Image: p2vHCWc.png]

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
04-29-2017 06:21 PM
Dawisko Offline
No-Life

[Image: lfMlV5K.png]

Well, worked some more on it, tried to make a 'gas mask', while didn't really work out the most pretty.

"My half ass idea just went whole."
Spoiler: Don't click plis.
[Image: B96YP8I.jpg]
Killing threads with large quantity of shitposting, horrible jokes and even disgusting things since 2k14
06-20-2017 01:53 PM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

OMG, it is alive!
Still, it looks (at least to me) that guns are too big while car is seem to be smaller than it should be.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
06-20-2017 02:21 PM
Vexrak Offline
Space Trash

[Image: EY8mC9W.png]
I'm filled with regret every time I see that old robot I made. So, I took another shot, and I think it turned out way better. Now I still don't think they're great, but I've definitely made some improvements. Criticism is highly appreciated, especially if it helps me get better in the future.
08-07-2017 10:33 PM
mach5 Offline
Rookie

[Image: IDa3WfD.png]
09-13-2017 06:07 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: R7xzY6P.png]
I messed with your tank a bit, one of them anyway by adding a highlight, some markings and details. It's up to you how busy you want your unit to look or how big it should be, but this might give you some ideas. Plating on the side of a tank can be really intricate or simple but it's ultimately a flat side of a metal box you're trying to show. Some people make units slightly face the viewer to show the front, personally I don't and try to make up for the lack of dimension with details. Tanks have all kinds of equipment they need like fuel cans, ammo boxes, chains, sections of track, tools, even improvised armor like bundles of logs strapped or tied to the body. You can add vents or open tread to make the hull of the vehicle more complex looking. I like the turrets on your tanks like the flak and the smaller leftmost gun that has a dip in the middle and looks rounded.
I had a hard time making out the shades so I added a brighter gray as light reflection and a saturated yellow for a brassy marking color. It's not required, maybe some crew or infantry would flesh out your sheet more.
09-21-2017 07:37 PM