Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
PIN Offline
Private

Re: The Work In Progress Thread

(10-15-2011 02:19 PM)Reconunit link Wrote:They look too smooth, the highlights should follow the wrinkles.
Hm... I'm not sure I follow. I should put the highlights above the wrinkles then?

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-15-2011 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RandomRabbit Offline
Recruit

I sort of forgot about Picture Wars when school started. But for now, at least, I am back. I've not done much, just started adding new poses to my army.
[Image: flintlockarmywhite2.png]
10-15-2011 03:11 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 1bc2ec999b.png]

Decided to place that on hold, worked on other stuff. I think I got shading down pretty well.
10-15-2011 03:29 PM
Peelz Offline
Private

RandomRabbit: Those look really good! One of the best colonial-era armies I've seen in my short stay here!
10-15-2011 04:28 PM
PIN Offline
Private

[Image: 2s80e8w.png]

This is me trying to make robot units.. So far they just look like men with grayish suits on, to me at least. BUT I -am- proud of the gun. I'm looking for a reference to base my 'bots off of, but, meh. Anyways, if you guys notice anything I could improve on with these guys, I'd be much obliged.

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-15-2011 06:47 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

The legs in the running pose and crouching pose look thicker than the ones in the standing pose, and the crouching pose is awkward... other wise they are good!

[Image: d9e76dbf7e.PNG]

Ok, working on the revamp of guns as well as the soldiers.

Three Questions:
1.) Which uniform do you like better (Top)
2.) Which color scheme do you like better? (Middle)
3.) Which gun do you like better (Bottom)

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-15-2011 07:08 PM
RandomRabbit Offline
Recruit

Just as a suggestion. Have the commander/officer in a red version of the first uniform, with the foot-soldiers in the second outfit with the blue colour scheme.
10-15-2011 07:16 PM
piskat Offline
Commando

1&2: What Rabbit said.
3. I like the 3rd to the right, gun.

I think a match with these guys and my french guys would be pretty cool.
10-15-2011 07:16 PM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

Thanks Rabbit, that's a good idea!

[Image: 64fa688d49.PNG]
What do ya think? Should I go with the red uniform for the grunt? And which commander is best?

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-15-2011 09:16 PM
Gamma Plasma Online
Particle oscillating pioneer

Right first things first, Picture Wars has become active enough to warrant the use of actual news in the header?!
off topic comment aside here some improvements to my army
[Image: 8ccff772ac.png]
The top is my liquid creature, or Fluxus. Since I keep failing at drawing the sprite I decided to make 4 different ones. If any of these look liquid like then tell me. If not then its back to the drawing board...
Below that is my revamped plasma creature, again if this doesn't look plasma like then give me some C&C on how to improve it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pin-Robots can be like men in grayish suits, the legs for crouching and running need a bit of working on though. Since these are humanoid robots finding a reference on Google for running and crouching stances shouldn't be hard.
[Image: running-7.jpg]
Heres one for running, to help you out.
Optimus-I think the blue grunt and the leftmost commander look the best, but that's just my tuppence worth.

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
10-15-2011 09:46 PM
Iceblizzerd Offline
Rookie

[Image: 4YYtnv.png]

SO many poses aauuggghh
10-16-2011 12:40 AM
Peelz Offline
Private

Sweet! Horses need longer legs though.
10-16-2011 03:42 AM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Hey, guys, good news! I think I got an idea for an Army!
10-16-2011 03:01 PM
Mirokan Offline
Private

Iceblizzerd, perhaps this is a minor comment, but I think it's worth pointing out. I think that vehicle is a bit too small compared to the rest of your sprites. The horse and man are fairly large, whereas the truck is tiny in comparison.
Try making it a bit larger.

[Image: ileEZqo.gif]
10-16-2011 03:22 PM
Metal Chao Offline
Administrator

(10-15-2011 08:51 AM)PIN link Wrote:So.. Here's what I have after looking at references. I know it's still not perfectly "brain like" but, I believe I am improving slowly. What do you all think?
[Image: 2qsa0yf.png]

Also, Ghost, my two cents, for your humanoid that is running, the back leg is at a ninety degree angle, making it look blockish and un-natural. I would suggest tilting it slightly down or up. The front leg looks tops though. /newbpost
(10-15-2011 08:51 AM)PIN link Wrote:So.. Here's what I have after looking at references. I know it's still not perfectly "brain like" but, I believe I am improving slowly. What do you all think?
[Image: 2qsa0yf.png]
Bit late but I think you still pretty much just need to redo the wrinkles or whatever they're called on the brain. The shading of the base brain is good but the detailing looks too much like just randomly spaced dots, if you literally just draw lines over one, crop them to about one pixel's thickness then colour them one shade darker than what they are drawn over they will look like actual wrinkles.
Then you put your highlight colour on the "raised" parts to make them stand out even more.
Example:
[Image: c7445c456fb19ff0264c3b12d3827b55.png]
You can probably do better than that I didn't spend long on it and I was pretty lazy with highlights they don't really make sense here.
Probably a slightly less dark colour for the darkest veins/creases would be a good idea too, that one contrasts a bit much.
10-16-2011 03:55 PM
PIN Offline
Private

I did kinda like how my brains were looking, HOWEVER, I will give a crack at improving them with your advice.

10-16-2011 03:59 PM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Here's my third attempt at an army.  :downs:

[Image: YHntL.png]

If you see anything a little off, I'm thinking of testing this one in a sandbox match.
10-16-2011 05:26 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

I had started creating minions for my army, but then I started looking at other armies for fun and found that my minions looked kind of like a smaller version of Metal Chao's goblins and now I'm sad.
10-16-2011 05:42 PM
Toothy Offline
Recruit

I have taken Tyrus99's advice on my Spartan's legs, and here they are with slightly longer legs and several other changes:
[Image: a6fcd26741.png]
You probably noticed the temple-like building. It's my first attempt at a base, and I have no idea if I'm going in the right direction with it, because I know nothing about bases, and what the requirements for them are, if any.
One more thing. Should I outline the columns or keep them like they are now? This is what I mean: [Image: d465e25d62.png]
If you could, please C&C. Thank you!  :piratecat:

There is no 'I' in team... but there is meat... mmm meat
10-16-2011 05:44 PM
PIN Offline
Private

The column on the right looks better, I'd go with that one. Also, though you probably already know this and are most likely going to think "Duuuuh." I'll just be sure, and say, don't forget to background you'r temple, as you did the thing to the left of it.
IMO, these colours are perfect for a greek temple!

10-16-2011 06:01 PM
Nega Offline
Recruit

So, is mine Good? Bad? I need some constructive criticism here.   :confused:
10-16-2011 06:03 PM
PIN Offline
Private

A'ight! Nega, first off, congratz on the tilted bow. Much better than any I'v done. Unfortunately, the on pointing straight down looks like a brown v, with a black line connecting the tips. To combat this, you need to make the incline more gradual, like you see in a U shape, for example. As for the soldiers, well, i'd try to make their legs look less like rectangles. To do this, give them knees, maybe 1 pixel feet? The feet might nor be that important though. It's mostly about the straightness.
Hope this helped you!

Anyways.. Back to talking about ME, because i'm so important.
I tried to fix some of the stuff Metal Chao talked about in my army thread. So, here is the colour and arm correction update.
[Image: 28tar08.png]
Next up I'll be trying to make the legs look more realistic.
CnC is asked for, as always.

10-16-2011 06:14 PM
piskat Offline
Commando

Hmm, I wonder where you got those legs and torsos from?
10-16-2011 07:25 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

"The looters syndicate!"
By Piskat.

Problem rainbows?
10-16-2011 07:27 PM
Gamma Plasma Online
Particle oscillating pioneer

(10-15-2011 09:46 PM)Gamma Plasma link Wrote:[Image: 8ccff772ac.png]
Everyone seems to have ignored my sprites, I really wouldn't mind some C&C for them.
Blue one is a liquid creature
Purple one is a plasma creature
These are the only sprites that I'm haven't finalised yet for my army so C&C is appreciated. :smile:

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
10-16-2011 09:47 PM