Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
VantagePoint Offline
Private

Re: The Work In Progress Thread

Thanks for the tips Gamma, I'll work on them for a bit now. And yeah, I think i'll take the biological aspect further too.
10-18-2011 11:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

(10-17-2011 09:21 PM)Optimus Lime link Wrote:[Image: 9a4e7a6c7a.PNG]
Flamethrowers and elites
Two birds, one stone

Please?

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-18-2011 11:16 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

(10-18-2011 11:16 PM)Optimus Lime link Wrote:Please?
Well I like the minimalist aspect, it makes them look pretty good however, I see no birds nor stone so I'll have to mark you off on that.
10-19-2011 12:19 AM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Well, now my Corrupts are beginning what is probably the most problems I will have: Fighting poses and actions.  So far, I have my SpearCorrupt performing a stab, and I sort of have a regular Corrupt performing a punch, as wells as a possible one for a kick, which is the last one in the pair of legs on the up-right corner. I'll get better at these sooner or later, though; After all, Practice makes Perfect!  :v:

[Image: V0jlG.png]
10-19-2011 02:24 AM
VantagePoint Offline
Private

[Image: 28da8fbb11.png]

Some changes. I think the organic tentacles on the machinery breaks the mold and also takes attention away from the stiff poses.

Also, I feel there isn't enough resources for newer members of the forum to take advantage off. I expected to find tutorials in the tutorials section detailing aspects of shading and whatnot, but found none. Perhaps some of the older members of the community should take it in their stride to write these? it'd be a massive help!
10-19-2011 11:21 AM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Well in the old forums, there was a small tidbit of shading in the Army making tutorial. http://picturewars.freeforums.org/army-c...-t894.html

Also, I got an update. Added two new sprites for the archer, as well as making a separate area for the helmets/hats. I can't seem to get the archer's aiming to look right when I put it up to his face. If I did that, then the arm would be bent backwards in an up position. Hopefully I'll find a solution.  :f5:

[Image: sJPEn.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 12:24 PM by Nega.)
10-19-2011 11:51 AM
Photocopier Offline
Commando

(10-19-2011 11:21 AM)VantagePoint link Wrote:[Image: 28da8fbb11.png]

Some changes. I think the organic tentacles on the machinery breaks the mold and also takes attention away from the stiff poses.

Also, I feel there isn't enough resources for newer members of the forum to take advantage off. I expected to find tutorials in the tutorials section detailing aspects of shading and whatnot, but found none. Perhaps some of the older members of the community should take it in their stride to write these? it'd be a massive help!
It's coming, sorry :3

*totally German princess*
10-19-2011 12:05 PM
VantagePoint Offline
Private

To add diversity and a certain degree of charm to my army I've came up with a bit of fluff and new unit.

So, this army draws its power from these tentacle god things, that combine with their machinery to form powerful and agile transport. However, the price that every so often they claim a human and transform him into a slithering abomination, A rather painful process for the recipient Or something like that.

[Image: 3f814743eb.png]
10-19-2011 05:48 PM
Jacque Offline
Recruit

They turn into giant green swastikas. :V
10-19-2011 05:58 PM
JacenHanLovesLegos Offline
Private

[Image: 528202de34.PNG]
My Italians, in case anyone missed them on the last page.
10-19-2011 07:02 PM
Rainbows! Offline
Private

A person would more likely have the rope over their should and be walking forwards when pulling the cannon rather than walking backwards with the rope just in their hands. Parachute needs more strings leading to the chute.

Match Virgin
10-19-2011 07:10 PM
VantagePoint Offline
Private

OK, so I decided that using 1/2 view didn't do well for posing, so I tried to reformat my guys into 3/4. (Is that the name?) Also; do 3/4 view units fit with 1/2 view vehicles? or must I reformat the vehicles also?

Anyway, here's the result:

[Image: 32c0c890fb.png]

EDIT: I also removed the outlines on the vehicles and did a little more shading. Few more unit types and maybe a big mech or something and i'll be nearly done!
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 07:36 PM by VantagePoint.)
10-19-2011 07:15 PM
JacenHanLovesLegos Offline
Private

I think that my artillery would be much more suited to being a stationary object or an offscreen action than something that's being pulled around anyway.

Vehicles are fine in 1/2 view as far as I know, although 3/4 works too.
10-19-2011 07:18 PM
Abusedturnip Offline
Rookie

First time posting. First time creating a unit.

So yes, hello! I've came up with the concept of a primarily Mechanical/Cyborg army that uses a special warp gate type machine.
The machine itself reaches into designated points in time e.g. Time of the Roman Empire, The distant future, Millions of years ago etc.
The machine will then take an organism and warp it back into the present time, but there's a process once it reaches its destination. The process mechanises the organism and turns it into a war machine, completely out of metal, destroying the emotions of the organism, save for anger, pain and hatred and then uploads the motherships tasks into its brain.
The first unit I've decided to make is a (weird) kind of dinosaur, that transforms itself into artillery. I've so far only done the base model and its transformation into the artillery form, movement is still yet to come.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

[Image: 40d993f25b.png]
10-19-2011 07:28 PM
VantagePoint Offline
Private

I know i'm posting a lot but i'm drawing like mad here, it's a lot of fun.

So I saw a poster above me with a parachute so i thought I'd have a bash at it too. I've also removed all outlines and reshaded most of my vehicles, and added a dropship. C&C Most welcome at this early stage.

[Image: 82c377e6fc.png]
10-19-2011 08:16 PM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Well, I have updated the Corrupts. Made ones with raggy clothes, since I found a good Idea on how to make the armies:Why not make them use corpses as a form of making more units, sorta like how Necromorphs are made. Also, I made some of my Corrupts in raggy clothing, which should help as a starter item for their clothing. Here's what I got.  :smug:

[Image: yZfjN.png]
10-20-2011 12:45 AM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 96ad39b055.png]

Progress on my advanced magic bearing unit.

Missing arm and final legs plus poses.
10-20-2011 02:23 AM
PIN Offline
Private

[Image: a7ccce1441.PNG]
Working on a new faction, inspired by the Tha'roon from human onslaught. For this particular group, I'm planning on making a steam punk army, thus, I tried giving the purple alien an orange/brown vest. As you can see, it kind of clashes with the purple. I'm going to keep trying for better colours, but if someone knows a steam-punky colour than WONT look horrendous on purple, I'm open to suggestions! :byodood:

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-20-2011 06:03 PM
Reconunit Offline
(under)Pants on head retarded

It looks like a orange t-shirt rather than a vest.

As for colors, try something like a more saturated brass/bronze sort of thing mixed with some dark brown for leather. (No too dark though)
10-20-2011 06:30 PM
PIN Offline
Private

I think I got what you mean.
And it "does" look alot better, in my opinion atleast. Still does look a tad like a shirt though. I'll have to work on that.
[Image: 9ee703744a.PNG]

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-20-2011 06:42 PM
VantagePoint Offline
Private

Perhaps give it a little collar, and not have the garment cover the entire torso? A little triangle opening at the bottom would make it look like it has more of a shape.  Regardless, I like where it's going!
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2011 07:10 PM by VantagePoint.)
10-20-2011 06:51 PM
PIN Offline
Private

I gotta go to bed right now, but I'll certainly give that a try in the morning! Thanks for all the help guys.

10-20-2011 07:12 PM
Nega Offline
Recruit

Updated. Thinking of making a mage class, so Here's my attempt on them.

[Image: TFSci.png]

I'm not too happy with how the robes went, but I'll get there. Also, I made a small picture of one in action:

[Image: T43q6.png]

:smug:
10-20-2011 10:13 PM
Kyre Offline
Resident Deserter

[Image: Helmets1.png]

Any advice on helmets? I'm not sure I like the block-headed style I've got now, but don't know how to change it... If you need/want to see them on a body to give advice, just say something and I'll update the picture.

Admiral of the Quadralian Home fleet, ex-warsuit pilot, ex-interceptor pilot
10-20-2011 10:37 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 737adc559d.png]

Which one looks better?
I'm doing the art for one of my more "heightened" members of the army.

And for the red I was thinking a darker red than that, but never got around to it yet.
10-21-2011 01:30 AM