Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

RE: The Work In Progress Thread

So i discovered this place yesterday and i decided to mock up a concept sprite for an army i might make.
[Image: UNIT_b22_soldier_concept.png]
I understand it is considerably larger than standard human size but this was before i had read up on how to do this stuff and such.

I also animated it for fun.
[Image: UNIT_b22_soldier_concept_animated.gif]

Also a drone-type thing and some logo i came up with.
[Image: UNIT_b22_pre-scout_concept.png]

[Image: UNIT_b22_logo_concept.png]
03-29-2017 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

[Image: DLePn7c.png]
Slowly working on my demon army. C&C?
Also @EpicJ would love to see those guys in PW scale.
Edit:
Also need help with the portal to hell:
[Image: Sx7Hego.png]
Any ideas?

I've been in hell on earth.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 10:44 AM by Snow Dwarf.)
03-31-2017 09:52 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

@SnowDwarf: Larger demon seems to be OK, but in would be nice to see more dynamic poses. Lesser demons (imps) with their box-like heads aren't that good, tey seem to look like robots, not living creatures. As for portal, you need to revert its brightness scheme. Portal's core should be brighter than the edges, and said edges' color should me a mix of environmen's color and dark red glow of the portal. If you prefer to leave them as they are, then your portal look more like a solid object than a trans-dimensional gate.

Spoiler: BOSS signature
[Image: 5f27907d43a0.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 08:35 PM by Stefman.)
03-31-2017 11:27 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

Thanks, gonna post my progress soon.

[Image: K5JIEo1.png]
New portal and new imp. I'm trying to give the portal a fire like look without using fire colors cause i'm trying to keep to the theme. It's quite a challenge in using only three shades of grey.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 12:18 PM by Snow Dwarf.)
03-31-2017 11:38 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

Why you're trying to use same colors for units AND the portal? The theme itself is useless, general idea of using less colors and shades for units is to make respriting and posing a bit less pain in ass-y.

03-31-2017 05:21 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: KqxCRnf.png]
I made some messy examples for your portal. In match it would help if you blended the red into whatever color the background is. Stefman might be right that the portal should be different from the eyes on your units, maybe if the actual demons have a highlight in the light red to pink area they will stand out from their skin color better. The taller you make your resting pose, the more room you have to draw your legs dynamically so walking or leaping doesn't look stiff.
03-31-2017 07:16 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

Thanks, I get how the portal should look and I'm gonna play around my units with the tips you gave me.

03-31-2017 10:17 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

[Image: WXn9YqY.png]
Here, I remade the portal you gave me and changed the one unit a bit with shading.

04-01-2017 10:16 AM
kilenc Offline
Rookie

Hi Snow Dwarf.

I made a mockup of what I would change, but I thought it might be too different from your stuff, and I don't want to influence your creative juices. So I'll give a quick write up of what I think might help:

Try using colors that are more contrastive. At this pixel scale, it's hard to differentiate between the colors you've chosen because they differ mostly by lightness. In real life, when things are cast in shadow, they also get more blue; when they're lit up, they get more yellow. Dark things also appear less saturated (more grey) because less light hits them, while brighter things appear more saturated (more neon) because more light hits them.

Here's an image I made demonstrating what difference color can make:

[Image: sguaZ6S.png]

The sprites here are exactly the same, except the right has more contrastive, natural colors. You can see the right "pops": it's more full/3D, and it's more interesting to look at.

Try messing with your colors so that the contrast is greater; it'll help your sprites' details shine through. It'll also help you keep your colors down -- I noticed that you had 7 colors on your new sprite, while I could only recognize 3 zoomed out. Instead of using 20 low-contrast colors, it's better to use 2 eye-popping colors.

In addition, try to work more with blobs of pixels. Alot of your work has straight lines and edges; try to look at making them more round, smooth, and natural. This will help the human eye make the right guesses (ie, identify your blobs as demon things) because we associate organic things with roundness and blobness.

Finally, I agree with LtO that you should increase the size of your small imp guys so that it's easier to make them look like dynamic, active creatures. Also I think you should add claws or something to make them scarier (I don't know how they attack people right now, but some claws would make it easier). I don't know if you should just take LtO's idea; it's better creatively, and for your development & improvement as an artist, to make your own work.

I also had an idea for the portal. Maybe have crystalline spikes that come from the ground and zap some portals into existence. That could be a cool way to shape the environment, too.
04-01-2017 04:50 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

So i refined my previous soldier sprite into something more PW-friendly.

Took me a while to get colours and such right but i think i've come to a good compromise of contrast and detail.

[Image: UNITb22_soldier_WIP.png]

Not sure on what colour to set the sprite sheet background as, though. Nothing seems to look right in my eyes.
04-01-2017 09:43 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

I took my soldier and i made a sprite sheet.

[Image: PW_UNITB22_refs.png]

Not sure on the background colour yet, and still deciding on what units to add.
04-02-2017 01:27 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I really like that so far. If you have trouble making other units, you could make variants of the soldier with different heads, weapons, or armor. The effect for the thrust on that drone looks cool, maybe a guy with a jetpack or another kind of flying unit.
04-03-2017 04:08 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

Some progress.
[Image: PW_UNITB22_refs.png]

The spider-drone thing was a bit spontaneous, as were some of the new weapons. (Essentially done in like, half an hour.)

For now i'm just taking care of the basics, before i go into more unique stuff.

Although i'm wondering whether or not to go with more free-moving limbs rather than rigid jointed ones. Think of the Tripods from War Of The Worlds.

EDIT:
I re-drew the spider-drone to visualize the above idea.
[Image: spidertest.png]

I like it, but i don't know if it's defined enough to really look like it should.

Also oops that picture's bigger than i thought
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 08:33 PM by EpicJ.)
04-03-2017 06:21 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I have been messing around a little myself with some new sprites. For a shocking change of pace, it's robots this time.
[Image: lb3dc1Y.png]
I think that your first version better even if it looks a little stiffer. If you want them to be jointed like a walking animal, you should leave yourself some space between the pairs to show their gait. For a more spidery/octopus thing, you can be less percise with how the "feet" navigate around and pick spots to stand.
04-03-2017 11:54 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

[Image: C5J5d9I.png]
Recolored and redesigned a bit the sprites, I also tried to make a new portal, however I can't get it to look cool.

04-04-2017 06:57 AM
Stefman Offline
Techno-commie

These violet... things around portal - what are they doing? It's hard to tell that from the sprite. They even aren't reflecting that crimson glow of the portal itself... I guess you need to add more detail on them.

04-04-2017 08:48 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

(04-04-2017 08:48 AM)Stefman Wrote:  These violet... things around portal - what are they doing? It's hard to tell that from the sprite. They even aren't reflecting that crimson glow of the portal itself... I guess you need to add more detail on them.
Got it

04-04-2017 08:54 AM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

Steady progress maybe hopefully.

[Image: PW_Teh_tian_Union_ref.png]

Expanded the sheet, added a drop pod and some weapons/drones.

The two spider drone designs will stay in until i decide on one.

Speaking of the drones, i touched them up somewhat, i'm kinda happy with how they look now.

I also went ahead and sprited out extreme poses for the legs, to save time when it comes to posing.
04-04-2017 06:20 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

I've been thinking over Lore for a while, which has lead me to create a new army;

[Image: PW_Zaa_roth_ref.png]

They're arch enemies with the other guys, (locked in never-ending war for hundreds of years, etc etc) and are also big and spooky. Still heavily WIP, of course.

I also touched these guys up a little. The soldier's heads are now a little more detailed, and better fit the style.

Also still debating names for them both.
04-05-2017 03:09 PM
Vexrak Offline
Space Trash

(04-05-2017 03:09 PM)EpicJ Wrote:  I've been thinking over Lore for a while, which has lead me to create a new army;

[Image: PW_Zaa_roth_ref.png]

They're arch enemies with the other guys, (locked in never-ending war for hundreds of years, etc etc) and are also big and spooky. Still heavily WIP, of course.

I also touched these guys up a little. The soldier's heads are now a little more detailed, and better fit the style.

Also still debating names for them both.
I love this army already, it looks great.

I think the drone with stiff legs looks good, I just think there should be a joint in the legs though, and maybe with more of an angle too.
Something like this:
[Image: ibY0B3B.png]

IDK, I'm not that good with artwork, so you could probably execute this much better. But, I do really like the idea of this.
04-18-2017 11:05 AM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

(04-18-2017 11:05 AM)Vexrak Wrote:  I love this army already, it looks great.

I think the drone with stiff legs looks good, I just think there should be a joint in the legs though, and maybe with more of an angle too.
Something like this:
[Image: ibY0B3B.png]

IDK, I'm not that good with artwork, so you could probably execute this much better. But, I do really like the idea of this.

I like that idea, although i was originally going for a more insectoid leg build. It's not that easy to see, so i might re-think it.
04-18-2017 02:56 PM
Vexrak Offline
Space Trash

(04-18-2017 02:56 PM)EpicJ Wrote:  I like that idea, although i was originally going for a more insectoid leg build. It's not that easy to see, so i might re-think it.

Ah, okay. Cause I do see where you're coming from with those legs, I just feel like there's something off. Maybe they're perfect, and my brain is just trying to destroy everything I love. IDK.
04-19-2017 04:01 AM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

That second army has some cool poses, they remind me of xenomorphs the way they balance themselves with a tail/stinger. I think if you want insect like legs on your drone, you should incorporate the white up in the leg part as well as it's feet. It might help if you make the joints like knees and ankles more angular and stiff. Vexrak's edit looks pretty good as an example of bug-like segmented limbs.
[Image: TYo6c3U.png]
I'm working on getting this army match-worthy. This is a kind of drop-pod ferry, I wanted to add an emblem on the side but I don't think the blue fits right. I intended it to look like a star's corona around a solar eclipse but not to use yellow/orange. I plan to add some more flying and walking robots to fill out the sheet more and maybe some different weapons for the pill shaped, cannon fodder guy.
04-19-2017 05:16 PM
EpicJ Offline
Non Astuti

(04-19-2017 05:16 PM)ltoblivious Wrote:  I'm working on getting this army match-worthy. This is a kind of drop-pod ferry, I wanted to add an emblem on the side but I don't think the blue fits right.

Perhaps incorporating blue would be easier if the rest of the army had more blue, so that it looks a bit less out-of-place on the drop-pod.
04-19-2017 06:47 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: 2KPy538.png]
I switched to gray for the logo and I think it looks a little better. I'm also trying to use it as a highlight on some of the other units.
04-20-2017 01:43 PM