Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

RE: The Work In Progress Thread

That's a solid improvement, stands out far better than your previous one. You're posing is pretty nifty too - very dynamic. The gun doesn't clash with the rest of the body either. Leg looks better in my opinion, they match up more instead of one being stick-like. Honestly, I can't really see any issues with the blue guy, aside form maybe a lack of contrast between his legs which leads them to blend a little on the poses where they're close together (such as the crouch).

With regards to the big guy, I just have to say: that shit's fucking impressive. Sure, the legs are a bit fucky but getting the shading down so solidly on your first attempt is great. I think I prefer the grey one to the greenish one. The legs, as I said were the biggest issue I found on the big guy - move his lower left leg (the rightmost one) into a more diagonal position, following the line of the leg. I figure that might improve it some.

I am not the evil clone of Kittenpillar.
09-21-2016 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

very nice

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
09-21-2016 02:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vetrix Offline
Rookie

Thank you both :D

I tried to up the contrast on the legs of the little guy again, Oshlet. Made the darkest shade much more purple and dark. I don't THINK it throws off the image.

Also edited the crouched pose a little bit, happier with it now.
Made a 'prone' pose with and without gun. Also made a 'getting ready to fire' pose and a firing pose, with the body dragged back a little to look like recoil. Also have the gunflash sprited in there, just so I have a pallet when I need it.

Did work on both of the legs of the big guy, though I tried to fix what you mentioned, Oshlet. Hopefully I achieved what you meant? Either way, the editted version is on the middle at the bottom left. To the right of that is after I worked on the shading abit more. Added in one entire new shade as I felt it gave the sprite more form.

In the red box is a WIP that I'm having hell trying to sprite.

[Image: 2hxnj0j.png]
09-22-2016 04:49 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: iwhJ2M8.png]

Experimenting a bit.

derp derp derp
09-26-2016 10:29 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: zPPExoC.png]
I made a bus thing, but I don't think it looks the same as my other sprites.
10-22-2016 01:08 AM
haribo841 Offline
Dead inside.

For me it looks the same as your other sprites, LtO

[Image: 76561198093595981.png][Image: AddFriend.png]
10-22-2016 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ltoblivious Offline
Private

Half trank
[Image: DndQEQB.png]
12-18-2016 02:35 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

It's like a half-track, but reverse.

derp derp derp
12-18-2016 09:07 AM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: f1CH29N.png]
I stole my own sprites, take that me from the past.
12-28-2016 08:00 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

[Image: HtUUC4M.png]
pistachio flavored robots.
01-03-2017 03:07 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Those look coolio.

derp derp derp
01-04-2017 07:32 AM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

We've got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs! We've got sonic electronic ballbreakers! We've got Nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks!
[Image: 205xy8N.png]
01-04-2017 03:18 PM
Photocopier Offline
Commando

[Image: exhpo6y.png]
playing around with an idea for some space spartan kinda guys, with the possibility of mixing up the armour colours and some flair aspects for individual characters. Not too happy with the dreadnaught-y thing, considering legs rather than tracks. I want the shields to be sort of energy weapons that can be turned on and off as needed but the one I tried so far looks like a pink pillow :v

*totally German princess*
01-08-2017 08:47 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I really like the colors. For your mech guy, you should either go with legs/hovering or give your treads more height and make the wheels pop out more.
Here's an idea I had, but I think it needs some other element be it a team of robot horses or just a third wheel so it doesn't fall over
[Image: EBLymMN.png]
01-08-2017 10:23 PM
Photocopier Offline
Commando

(01-08-2017 10:23 PM)ltoblivious Wrote:  I really like the colors. For your mech guy, you should either go with legs/hovering or give your treads more height and make the wheels pop out more.
Here's an idea I had, but I think it needs some other element be it a team of robot horses or just a third wheel so it doesn't fall over

I like the chariot idea, not sure I'll go with horses as they're a pain to draw imo.

At the moment I'm thinking of going with legs, what I have currently looks quite like space marine legs but I'm happy with the fact that they're more substantial than the tracks were, possibly a bit too tall? Could go full dreadnought and have a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, I'll probably end up doing most of the poses in a match because whenever I try to sprite them in advance they never quite fit the situation.

[Image: h1SkRjb.png]

I was scribbling in my sketchbook and I'm considering using the chariot as a some sort of support platform for mobility/style, potentially a gun emplacement on it could be cool.
Drew the guy too short and he doesn't seem to have any legs Pacman
Spoiler :
[Image: 2vDiM0D.png]

EDIT:

I went stockier and more mechanical looking, I realised the space-marine looking legs were turning it into more of a sleek mecha thing rather than a dreadnoughty impenetrable robot thing with limited mobility. There will be no melee weapon, every sword I drew came out looking too daft - perhaps there will be variants in the future. I'm not entirely sold on the helmet but I don't think he needs a plume, will probably mess around with it a little more. And yes, the dreadnought has a cape, this is perfectly usual, nothing to see here.
[Image: iyQb9Sd.png]

Last subtle edit to make it look less like he's wearing boxer shorts:
[Image: zFRUPQL.png]

I won't make any more edits to this post, I can easily waste hours moving a couple of pixels around and still not be happy with the result.

*totally German princess*
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 11:14 PM by Photocopier.)
01-09-2017 05:46 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

That's a big improvement, the guns look much better as well. I think the first set of legs is definitely too tall, but maybe you can add some height back in the torso area because the final version is pretty squatted down. Mostly that's personal preference. As for capes, just be careful around revolving doors in lounges and turbine engines.
01-10-2017 12:28 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

[Image: 0GVC5qr.jpg]
[Image: fn87IpL.jpg]
[Image: iYulJwt.jpg]
[Image: YhVs5rV.jpg]
[Image: ULG4ETU.jpg]
All of those were done from my phone. C&C would be appreciated (also not picture war daredevil at the end, just bbecause finished watching daredevil season 2.)

I've been in hell on earth.
02-02-2017 02:55 AM
mach5 Offline
Rookie

hey, i'm alienation_nation and its been a few years since ive done any pixel art. heres something i chucked together as practice

[Image: jovnS65.png]
02-04-2017 03:52 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

I think they could use a bit more legs and maybe a bit brighter colors (my preference).

I've been in hell on earth.
02-04-2017 04:06 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

Welcome back, I remember your first account.
I like the mold and conveyor part. Your units need brighter highlights, The green shade and gray parts blend together because they are very close. I made a couple quick examples with two extra values on the green:
[Image: nmpJHtJ.png]
You could go brighter than that or even saturate the color more to increase the contrast and visibility.
02-11-2017 02:17 AM
EdenPandah Offline
Rookie

[Image: WWB6Jc.png]
Hi, I'm new and I decided to do a thing. Going to use them in a comic most likely.
02-17-2017 05:06 AM
Trifon Offline
Master of Doves

Welcome to the forums lad (Or lady)
Get on the Discord (<-- Link) since most of us are on there now and you'll get a lot more active comments.

Michael Rosen YTPs are still funny.
02-18-2017 10:59 PM
kilenc Offline
Rookie

Well it's been ages (last time I was active I was in middle school) and I had to make a new account to even do this. It's sad to see this place go, but I'm glad for what it gave me.

After all these years, here's some actual good pixel work, old friend.

[Image: ZQGMuvH.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2017 04:51 PM by kilenc.)
03-21-2017 08:43 PM
warhamer Offline
Private

Good work kilenc. I'm not an artist myself but I live in a community or artists now and my girlfriend is one so I'll do my best to give a good critique. The one thing I focused on was the shading of the face. My focus is on the three pixel line running up and down next to the left eye. From a default zoom, the line seems to blur in with the eye on the left. This is more evident as the darker the skin of the character.

I know we want to maintain the depth of the face and keep the correct perspective. Eyes are key for that so you might not be able to do much with them to adjust that line. Suggestions I might have is to add a pixel above each eye to represent eyebrows. Making the nose one pixel longer to show that their faces are still not flat. Adjusting the color or saturation of the line so that it does not get muddied in with the left eye. This last option might be the best final solution but a hard one to reach especially with the darkest version of your sprite. I hope this was helpful and if you want any clarification let me know.

Happy Spriting!:)
03-23-2017 04:28 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I really like them. Faces are always hard to represent at picture wars scale; since they are cops, I'd cheap out and give them all (even out of uniform) aviator sunglasses.
03-23-2017 06:03 PM