Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

RE: The Work In Progress Thread

Wow, thanks. Can I use the orocks? I will mess around with the mech, but I love the colors.

I've been in hell on earth.
09-03-2016 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Feel free man, its your army, I just messed with the colors.

derp derp derp
09-03-2016 02:12 PM
ltoblivious Offline
Private

I'm still here-ish.
[Image: kZ9NVVL.png]
He needs broken leg serum, I don't know. I felt if I made them really far apart I could show walking easier but now it just looks like they paddle around in the air attached to this floating body.
[Image: RIlgag5.png]
A little better?
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 01:51 AM by ltoblivious.)
09-04-2016 12:39 AM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

They look adorable.

derp derp derp
09-04-2016 02:34 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

Didn't know where to ask so just gonna ask here. What size should a sprite be so that it can be clearly seen without viewing it in an editor. (Not PW connected)

09-06-2016 04:36 AM
Gamma Plasma Offline
Particle oscillating pioneer

I feel like this is a subjective question. What are you viewing the sprite in? An image, a game, an animation?

Personally I'd say the size should be a size where you can see major details such as texture (say woodgrain on a tree sprite) or body details like eyes (if it has them) or writing without having to strain your eyes or zoom in.

Obviously this means the sprite size will vary depending on your goals. So for a sprite with writing it's probably not gonna be in, for example, the 20x20 pixel range, whereas a sprite of a bird in the background of a vista could be.

Honestly I don't plan on making a living off of images, games or animations so I can't really provide more than the above, but I think you should ask yourself what your aim is with the sprite and the medium it's being presented in, then take it from there.

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
09-06-2016 03:00 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

Gamma wanted me to have less "2 arms 2 legs" units, so here's some stuff I doodled.

[Image: Yhh80bX.png]

derp derp derp
09-06-2016 04:31 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

I like the crab however the last guys legs seem kind of unnatural even for a robot. The second thing looks a bit like it's about to fall over, maybe make the legs a bit further away?
[Image: gOaXskT.png]
Finished the flying mech and changed the mech a bit. Two versions of everything (One of the flying mechs is not finished). Which version is better? Any other C&C? I hope one day I'm good enough to draw those mechs by myself...

Edit: So I was thinking about the size question and I've got some more coming. The reason I was asking is, cause I'm running a sort of game on B12 and it uses pixel art. The last time I posted I used 30 pixel sprites, but it seems small, so what if next time I draw 30 pixel sprites and than resize them to 200%. Should I just draw 60 pixel sprites (I'd prefer not, cause I don't feel like going so big and time), or will it look alright if I do resized pixel art?

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 09:25 AM by Snow Dwarf.)
09-08-2016 04:41 AM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

[Image: FvvtziE.png]

After a long hiatus, I return!

Furthest left is a human for scale more than anything else standing a 25px.

Science alien is a member of a highly advanced fleshcrafting race that has more or less receded from galactic affairs, aside from a few rogues who practice everything from assisting R&D in other factions to selling weaponry to various terrorist factions. Stands at 41px at full height.

Gun creature is designed for operating heavy machinery and combat. It possesses the problem solving and intelligence capabilities of a dim human, but can have various combat strategies or equipment instructions uploaded directly into it. All of its vital organs are located behind a reinforced bone plate in its abdomen. Stands at 26px at full height.

Mr tentacles can substitute heavy machinery, possessing an upper body which can shape-shift at will. It can retract its tentacles and create an enormous horn protruding from the ring on its head. Its organs are thinly spread across the entirety of its insides meaning it can withstand massive damage. It also possesses over-active regenerative capabilities. Stands 43 px at full height.

Small fellow is a smaller variant of gun creature that's very cheap to produce. Despite this, it can lift several times its weight and take a beating disproportionate to its size. Mr tentacles can spawn small fellows if needed. This particular small fellow is armed with a laser sword anb stands 19 px at full height.

C&C would be much appreciated.
09-08-2016 09:50 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

I love them to bits, especially the tentacle guy and the gun guy. The small guys legs look a bit weird.

09-08-2016 10:23 AM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

Legs get progressively harder to do the smaller you go. I think the issue with small fellow is his left leg has too much shading on the bottom. That, or my choice of background colour is terrible, it'll probably look a bit better with a warmer background.

Edit: With regards to your brown guys, I feel the leftmost flying one in better than the right one. The unfinished one looks a bit too bulky for flight. The rightmost walking one also looks better - the head seems out of alignment on the left one. Perhaps adding a highlight to your brown guys could help create a bit of extra depth on them. Resizing takes a bit of work to get right, you can't just double the size and expect a passable result. Mr tentacles was actually resized to be larger and required a fair bit of cleaning up before he looked decent.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 10:43 AM by Oshlet.)
09-08-2016 10:38 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

Actually the resizing thing is not connected to PW. Also thanks for the tips.

09-08-2016 11:49 AM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

Glory to Orckstozka!
[Image: bux9j8U.png]
New mech positions and a heavy mech. They also got pink guns! The heavy mech has a game reference, that you probably know. The second mech from behind has a small gun. You probably are wondering what is the last thing. It is an Orockian Mech v.1, currently held at the museum of ancient warfare in St. Orocksburg.

09-10-2016 01:54 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

(09-08-2016 09:50 AM)Oshlet Wrote:  After a long hiatus, I return!
Perchance might you be Kittenpillar(100)?

From the sprites, namings and profile image you remind me a lot of them, so I'm gonna assume you are.
Welcome back, did you forget your old account's password or something?

(09-06-2016 04:31 PM)skaianDestiny Wrote:  Gamma wanted me to have less "2 arms 2 legs" units, so here's some stuff I doodled.

[Image: Yhh80bX.png]
For the first BCU on the left, I feel like she needs to go relieve herself at the nearest toilet, but she shat her circuits and is in now mid-waddle.
Given the girth of such a lanky unit, the distance between the legs should probably be closer.
You might also want to try moving the head a pixel to the right instead.

Also it's hard to tell from the perspective but are any of the arms connected to the body? If not then maybe a small orange stump will be a nice addition as a sort of connection socket and control unit.

Your H G Wells towering tripod BCU looks fine, until you consider that it'll fall over when it reaches an incline.
By the looks of things the legs look like they're for jumping so it's kinda fine. I guess you could follow what Snow said, or if you want something a little less, just spread out the thinner lower parts of the legs more.

Alternatively bring it down a segment.

Krabby is fine too, although I do have to question how they snip anybody who doesn't just move back a bit, seeing as their arms are almost non-existent.
Kinda feels like they'd just whack their arms and pincers against the side of their face instead.

Then again maybe they just shoot hydro bolts instead. Still I'll go out on a limb and say that heading out for food and drink is a hell of an ordeal.

As for captain hydrokinetic squid, well for the far right pose, maybe the tentacle arm should coil forward (the other way) for the "standing" pose.
You could also add a little bit of shading for the orange shoulder joint that the tentacle is connected to on that far right pose. The lack of it feels a bit weird compared to the rest of the sprite for that orientation.

Also how many lower tentacles does the guy have?

(09-08-2016 04:41 AM)Snow Dwarf Wrote:  I like the crab however the last guys legs seem kind of unnatural even for a robot.
I'll probably be a bit biased since he apparently drew inspiration from my snake squid crystalady, Ginipher, but fictional anthropomorphic tentacle bearing creatures often have their leg configurations as outlined.
Alternatives would be to have the tentacles go straight and down, but not every creature would be able to support their own weight and balance like that.
The spider crawler like route is another option, where the legs spread around, each going up then down. It is a fair bit more bulky though.

Now I'm no extraterrestrial cephalopod anatomist so I could be missing something biological or mechanical, this is just what I've seen.

(09-08-2016 04:41 AM)Snow Dwarf Wrote:  [Image: gOaXskT.png]
Finished the flying mech and changed the mech a bit. Two versions of everything (One of the flying mechs is not finished). Which version is better? Any other C&C? I hope one day I'm good enough to draw those mechs by myself...
I'm gonna have to go with Kitten on this one, the rightmost flying mech looks too wide and unstable, given that there's only one source of thrust.
You could repurpose it as a bigger and stronger mech, with some new toys of course, by giving it some side thrusters on the shoulders or back so that it appears more stable and controllable.

The rightmost of the normal mechs looks better to me too. Generally if the pilot is at the head then you want the middle of their face/body to vertically line up with the middle axis of the mech.

Next off, and this is just my opinion, but I feel that the mech's left (our right) arm is too far to the right.
Bringing it across to the left a smidge (say a pixel) would help.

Finally I know your Orocks are probably more on the unrealistic side of things but the mech's legs honestly look a little bit lacking in girth compared to the weight of the torso it has to uphold.
It's not a major issue but you may want to consider just making the feet wider so the weight appears more distributed.

Google something like "rhino" or "mech feet" if you need ideas.

(09-10-2016 01:54 PM)Snow Dwarf Wrote:  Glory to Orckstozka!
[Image: bux9j8U.png]
New mech positions and a heavy mech. They also got pink guns!
Just a quick query but what's the cockpit cover meant to be made out of? Glass? Metal? Metal with glass? If it's say glass then I think a small, maybe 6-8 pixel cluster to show a bit of glare would give a better impression.

I am liking the chest insignia/markings. As an idea you could add some variations to them to signify rank with the Orocks. Perhaps superior Orocks get brighter orange marks, which are more elaborate or also feature on the arms or legs.

Lastly a thing about poses.
Now it is a mech so humanoid limitations don't completely apply but in some of those aiming poses it almost seems as if you mech has telescopic upper arms, given how they seem to shrink to allow the gun to go higher.

What tends to happen is the arms create a sort of V shape as they bend at the elbows, with the forearm going back up towards the gun, rather than being parallel to it.

Just google something like "aiming a rifle" or "pistol" if you need a visual for how arms tend to move to accommodate the weapon used.

[Image: 35f784cdb0.png]<br />Midgets...as far as the eye can see.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Procrastination[/glow][/shadow] - the answer to all your problems and a problem in need of an answer.
09-10-2016 03:11 PM
Snow Dwarf Offline
Recruit

There is actually no cockpit Glass for the heavies. I will work on the arms in the morning. I understand that the heavies arms are all right it's just the other gun guys who should be changed

09-10-2016 04:12 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

(09-10-2016 03:11 PM)Gamma Plasma Wrote:  For the first BCU on the left, I feel like she needs to go relieve herself at the nearest toilet, but she shat her circuits and is in now mid-waddle.
Given the girth of such a lanky unit, the distance between the legs should probably be closer.
You might also want to try moving the head a pixel to the right instead.

Also it's hard to tell from the perspective but are any of the arms connected to the body? If not then maybe a small orange stump will be a nice addition as a sort of connection socket and control unit.

Your H G Wells towering tripod BCU looks fine, until you consider that it'll fall over when it reaches an incline.
By the looks of things the legs look like they're for jumping so it's kinda fine. I guess you could follow what Snow said, or if you want something a little less, just spread out the thinner lower parts of the legs more.

Alternatively bring it down a segment.

Krabby is fine too, although I do have to question how they snip anybody who doesn't just move back a bit, seeing as their arms are almost non-existent.
Kinda feels like they'd just whack their arms and pincers against the side of their face instead.

Then again maybe they just shoot hydro bolts instead. Still I'll go out on a limb and say that heading out for food and drink is a hell of an ordeal.

As for captain hydrokinetic squid, well for the far right pose, maybe the tentacle arm should coil forward (the other way) for the "standing" pose.
You could also add a little bit of shading for the orange shoulder joint that the tentacle is connected to on that far right pose. The lack of it feels a bit weird compared to the rest of the sprite for that orientation.

Also how many lower tentacles does the guy have?
[Image: bsIkxlc.png]

Yeah I disliked how I posed the multi-armed one, made changes to the legs already.

Made various changes for the others based on your suggestions.

derp derp derp
09-10-2016 04:18 PM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

Gamma Plasma Wrote:Perchance might you be Kittenpillar(100)?

From the sprites, namings and profile image you remind me a lot of them, so I'm gonna assume you are.
Welcome back, did you forget your old account's password or something?

No, I am in fact someone completely different and any and all similarities are entirely co-incidental. I'm also definitely not stupid enough to forget my password, not me.
Spoiler :
Especially if the password is some 50 characters long, which I fear it may be...
09-10-2016 04:24 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

So you're their evil Kitt-lar twin then? That explains why you stole their fleshcrafters, you feline fiend!

P.S. Forgetting one password isn't particularly stupid worthy, stupid would be having a password with fifty standard keyboard characters (it'd be worse and inconvenient if you used non standard ones), of which there are nearly 100 possible individual inputs (keyboards may vary).

Now that would be stupid.

Indeed a quick grab of my deskside calculator for a simple formula; we find that the maximum number of attempts you'd need to try for a brute force attack that went very poorly is...just under a googol worth of potential permutations.

If one were to have such an account and password, then I'd recommend investing in some password cracking software, picking up a few books on cryptanalysis, and probably a supercomputer or two as well.

You know, if one wished to attempt to access their account before the end of their lifespan.

Or just PM a mod to get it back.
Unless you're an evil twin, in which case forget you saw that!

09-10-2016 05:12 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

[Image: Qx4FEVW.png]

Made some edits to the Crucible mech.

derp derp derp
09-12-2016 06:07 PM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

It looks quite cool. I have a few issues, nothing major though: The black of its claw blends a bit with the leg and looks a tad odd. Also, why does one of them have a little orange stripe on his shoulder? The far right guy also has one two many pixels on his face plate. Overall, looks better than the old one.

Also, out of curiosity, how messy are your big sheets, if you have them? The sprite sheets you have for a whole army with the poses and everything. The armies I'm currently working on share a sprite sheet with different background colours and half finished concepts all over the place.

I am not the evil clone of Kittenpillar.
09-15-2016 03:50 PM
Gamma Plasma Offline

For me I generally I try to keep everything grouped together in a categorised manner, like my woodbots on one side and my crystalords on another. (although within their groupings they're fairly unorganised) I do make sure that each army gets a separate spritesheet, there's not really a need for them to share, it's cluttered enough as it is.
I also tend to leave a sandbox WIP area on all my spritesheets so I can experiment with stuff, and see how things look on different backgrounds. I don't think that having multiple background colours on the same spritesheet is terrible, it's good to check that they look fine on multiple tones. But yeah, I like keeping the WIP stuff in a separate part of the image before moving it around the spritesheet.

Personally I think you shouldn't have armies share spritesheets and should try to keep the WIP stuff together. Could help you keep track of things better.

Jomn, LtO, sorry about the wait on our match. I've been feeling really poorly recently, picked up the usual cough, headache, etc. (There's also the nosebleed(s) but I think that's unrelated.) The turn image's 90% done and I've already written the description.
Should be up soon.

09-15-2016 07:57 PM
skaianDestiny Offline
Commando

(09-15-2016 03:50 PM)Oshlet Wrote:  It looks quite cool. I have a few issues, nothing major though: The black of its claw blends a bit with the leg and looks a tad odd. Also, why does one of them have a little orange stripe on his shoulder? The far right guy also has one two many pixels on his face plate. Overall, looks better than the old one.
Orange stripe denotes rank. Far right has a cannon in front of it, so that's why there's clutter.

(09-15-2016 03:50 PM)Oshlet Wrote:  Also, out of curiosity, how messy are your big sheets, if you have them? The sprite sheets you have for a whole army with the poses and everything. The armies I'm currently working on share a sprite sheet with different background colours and half finished concepts all over the place.
Here's what my two main sprite sheets look like.

Spoiler: Infinity Systems
[Image: E3GUSvH.png]
Spoiler: Crucible Heavy Industries
[Image: roqYmyR.png]

Basically controlled chaos. If I'm working on a new sprite I pick the closest open space; when I get the basic poses down to something I like I consolidate them.

And yes, I work off a white background. While I recently discovered GraphicsGale has an option to set the background color, by that point I was too used to the white.

derp derp derp
09-16-2016 05:51 AM
Vetrix Offline
Rookie

Putting my first post right here, since this thread is what got me interested in the forums. Not going to post any specific opinions on other people's stuff just yet, as I feel I need to know what I'm doing first. However, I can say that I absolutely love looking through what you guys make, and so many of you are hella talented.

So here's what I did!
[Image: 33o18id.jpg]

I didn't go and erase the block work at the top left because I wanted to show where I got my shapes from and such, plus I was thinking I might be able to use them again later. The one I went with though, is the blockwork at the far right. I'm 'trying' to make a human, something 'guneric'. ..The base that I ended up making didn't look very human to me though. I'll need to keep working on it.
The armour I did I feel ended up being too brown, so I'll probably have to work on the colour some. I am curious though as to whether it's 'clear'? As in, can you guys see what's going on, on it?

Lastly! You'll at the bottom left I was throwing a little bit of red here and there onto the armour. I'm trying to put on an 'insignia' type thing, but am struggling to put something that looks clear. Don't like it so far.

Any tips on any of that (Or anything else!) would be EXTREMELY appreciated! Hope to hear from one of you soon ^^
09-19-2016 12:38 PM
Oshlet Offline
Recruit

That's actually very impressive for a first attempt, far better than what I first came up with. The main body and legs are clear, although the arm blends a bit with the body. I usually go for a brighter colour on the nearest arm to help it stand out.

Furthermore (and this might just be me) I feel the blank chest-plate looks a bit flat - adding a bit of shading to sort it out. Looking at your colour-scheme, I feel you could up the contrast between colours a little bit: make lighter colours more yellow and darker colours more blue. I feel you could do without the insignia entirely: it doesn't really add to the guy and he looks fine without it.

The last issue I have is his left leg (the one on the right) being a bit too thin, I think it could do with a little thickening up to make it consistent with his right leg.

Otherwise, great start! I'm excited to see what else you're going to make.

I am not the evil clone of Kittenpillar.
09-20-2016 11:12 AM
Vetrix Offline
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Oshlet! I did a bit of work between my last post and seeing what you said, but I've tried to implement your advice. Hopefully I've gone about it the right way.

[Image: 24l7h9v.png]

So right off the bat, I decided to change the 'plates' on the sprites to blue, rather than leaving them brown. Basically distinguishing the fact that they're not the same material as what's on the moveable parts. First example of that is at the top left. A bit to the right of that (And the original brown) is a red example I tried. I liked how it looked, but I feel it's a bit too.. Cartoony? I guess? For my tastes. Went with the blue.

The second image at the top left is essentially what I was left with after taking Oshlet's advice into account, hopefully implementing it correctly. Below that.. A bunch of poses I tried to do, plus a gun.

The 'big' thing (39 pixels tall as opposed to the humans 24 pixels tall) isn't part of the same army nor is it meant to be "Fairly sized". You'll see at the bottom I did 2 colour schemes. I really like the darker, greyish one compared to the brighter green, but I can see the green more clearly. Struggling to find a good balance right now.
The shading on a bigger sprite is also damn difficult! It obviously needs a lot of work ><

Also at Oshlet, on the leg. I had to work for quite a while thickening up that leg. I'm still not sure if it's right or not.. Could I get an opinion on that? If it's still not right, I'd love a little fix up, if you were willing. Just to show me how to go about it.
09-20-2016 11:57 PM