Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
The Work In Progress Thread
Metal Chao Offline
Administrator

Re: The Work In Progress Thread

Honestly it looks a bit odd how they are all pointing their arms at almost a right angle rather than having them hanging at the sides, people don't usually make any kind of pose like that.
You also use a fairly large amount of shades for each colour when you could probably get away with just three or even two. This isn't necessarily a huge problem but personally I find that sprites using the minimum amount of colours usually look better than those using a lot. It also shows more skill to do more with less ;)
10-13-2011 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Toothy Offline
Recruit

The arms are in a weapon holding position which is why they look weird. I haven't finished making the weapon for them yet. Thank you for all the advice and in the future I'll try to tone down the shading. (oh and I've been doing sprites only for a couple of days so I have pretty much no skill to show anyway)

There is no 'I' in team... but there is meat... mmm meat
10-13-2011 07:06 PM
PIN Offline
Private

[Image: zldp5h.png]
The first unit I am working on for my first army! I have done basically no spriting before, but I -have- drawn with a pencil. Concepts seem fairly different right now though.
I most certainly want C&C, I wont take it personally, my only wish is to improve!

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-14-2011 12:39 PM
Reconunit Offline
(under)Pants on head retarded

Some CC for you then:

The shading is a bit wonky, you should get a slightly brighter value for the dot things so they blend in better. The shading itself could also be improved, use it to show bumps and depressions on the skin/flesh (whatever the pink actually is) to give it more of a 3-dimensional look. That is, if it has any bumps or depressions on it's surface at all.
Also, since the creature thing seem fairly fleshy you should have an even lighter value for highlighting like this:
[Image: 458673993]
Flesh tends to look very glossy look to it, even more so when it's wet.

Moving on, the overall shape of the thing could be a bit rounder, it looks a bit blocky. Smooth the curves out a bit like this:
[Image: 728813291]

And finally: the legs/arms/tentacles could also be posed in a more logical manner in some poses, like when it's shooting (Or, well, whatever it's doing) it should use it's second front limb to support itself so it doesn't fall over.
10-14-2011 01:20 PM
PIN Offline
Private

Before I edit my sprites, and post them up, the "creatures" are meant to be brain-things with tentacles, which is why the shading is so irregular. Exactly how you said, bumps and depressions, is what I am trying to do. I am going to try the smoothing and lighter value thing though. If anyone has some advice on how to make them look more "brainy" it would be much appreciated!

I am prone to fits of inactivity, sadly. If I suddeny stop posting, it is NOT because I have left the forum, but because my internet is taking a little hike. I will post back into our match when I can, and assuming you want to continue, we can try to finish up. Please just keep this in mind if you get into a match with me.
10-14-2011 02:52 PM
Tyrannosaurus_Tux Offline
Resident Dinosaur

Wikipedia.

Sometimes I do other things but mostly lurk.
[Image: c6M64dg.png]
10-14-2011 02:53 PM
PIN Offline
Private

Ehem.. I know what A brain looks like, I just do not know how to emulate the wrinkles at such a small scale. Thus, wiki searching brains is not going to help me, unfortunately. Though I DID do so.

10-14-2011 03:05 PM
Reconunit Offline

You'll just have to experiment until you start getting something that looks like a brain.
10-14-2011 03:13 PM
PIN Offline
Private

Aye aye.

10-14-2011 03:24 PM
Tyrannosaurus_Tux Offline
Resident Dinosaur

Wikipedia can also help with pixel art and can point you to other websites who can help.

Sometimes I do other things but mostly lurk.
[Image: c6M64dg.png]
10-14-2011 03:26 PM
Peelz Offline
Private

The biggest issue with the brain-creatures is that they are shaded without a constant light source. Dark and light pixels are interspersed seemingly at random which makes them look like speckled wads of chewing gum rather than brains. Here's a super-quick edit in which I altered the shape just a tad and adjusted the shading to incorporate a light source from the left. It still looks pretty crappy, but you get the general idea:
[Image: d0ff89e503.png]
10-14-2011 11:24 PM
Toothy Offline
Recruit

I've been drawing some greek infantry, and after making several poses I realized they were quite skinny. I beefed them up a bit, but I'm not sure it looks better.
[Image: 20cceaa02c.png]
What do you think?

Here's a sheet of the skinny infantry with weapons.
[Image: ae3fd1a33d.png]

Please c&c :)

10-14-2011 11:37 PM
Tyrus99 Offline
Private

Looks better "Beefed up" still needs work though
Legs need to be longer
10-14-2011 11:51 PM
Toothy Offline
Recruit

But their legs are already half the body length... how much longer do I need to make them?

10-15-2011 12:18 AM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 29fe6cb2e9.png]
This has so far been my experimentation with drawing without the physical pencil I'm used to, also on such a damned small scale.

The idea's tiny creatures composed of *something* that are the primary workhorse of larger beings that are in essence somewhat created from these same tiny creatures. So it's kind of like as you guys put it, infection army, but not really I guess.
Apparently when I draw on the computer I like symmetry or something.
10-15-2011 01:25 AM
Tyrus99 Offline
Private

(10-15-2011 12:18 AM)Spoon link Wrote:But their legs are already half the body length... how much longer do I need to make them?
Quite a bit longer for them to look normal
10-15-2011 01:29 AM
Ghost Offline
Commando

(10-15-2011 12:18 AM)Spoon link Wrote:But their legs are already half the body length... how much longer do I need to make them?
Your legs are longer than your torso and head.
Try touching your head to your toes, you'll see my point.

UPDATE:
[Image: 555281b9b7.png]

Hopefully it'll get better, I'm still trying to work on making small scale look good, I'm not used to such small scale drawing.

Yes they have purple eyes.
I hate the kneeling, don't quit know how to fix my problems with that.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2011 04:10 AM by Ghost.)
10-15-2011 01:31 AM
PIN Offline
Private

So.. Here's what I have after looking at references. I know it's still not perfectly "brain like" but, I believe I am improving slowly. What do you all think?
[Image: 2qsa0yf.png]

Also, Ghost, my two cents, for your humanoid that is running, the back leg is at a ninety degree angle, making it look blockish and un-natural. I would suggest tilting it slightly down or up. The front leg looks tops though. /newbpost

10-15-2011 08:51 AM
Optimus Lime Offline
Commando

Yeah, now they look much more like brains.

[center]The being known as &quot;Optimus Lime&quot; or, simply, &quot;Optimus&quot;[/center]<br />[center]When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone else's eye.[/center]
10-15-2011 01:16 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

(10-15-2011 08:51 AM)PIN link Wrote:So.. Here's what I have after looking at references. I know it's still not perfectly "brain like" but, I believe I am improving slowly. What do you all think?

Also, Ghost, my two cents, for your humanoid that is running, the back leg is at a ninety degree angle, making it look blockish and un-natural. I would suggest tilting it slightly down or up. The front leg looks tops though. /newbpost
Kneeling, I'm working on it still, used to drawing on much larger scale so the knee and shin would be on the ground but for whatever reason I drew it in the air, my bad.
I'm taking another whack on legs and shit today, arms are horrible but w/e.
10-15-2011 01:17 PM
PIN Offline
Private

-Double post by accident. Sorry-

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2011 01:25 PM by PIN.)
10-15-2011 01:21 PM
PIN Offline
Private

The arms arn't actually that bad, in my opinion. But what ever, good luck with the legs!

And thanks Optimus Lime, right now I'm working on their attack, it's supposed to look like lightning OR energy attacks. I'm looking at other peoples beams for idea's, but I am just worried that I end up making something too similar. We shall see.
Also: I have completed the second unit for my army. I want about two more, then I'll make a thread for them.

10-15-2011 01:23 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 0b9f059b1d.png]

That's a bit better, I'll move onto walking and running now I guess.

[Image: 71b0efc758.dib]

Ok arms are good, legs are worse.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2011 02:03 PM by Ghost.)
10-15-2011 01:40 PM
Reconunit Offline

(10-15-2011 08:51 AM)PIN link Wrote:So.. Here's what I have after looking at references. I know it's still not perfectly "brain like" but, I believe I am improving slowly. What do you all think?

They look too smooth, the highlights should follow the wrinkles.
10-15-2011 02:19 PM
Ghost Offline
Commando

[Image: 15dc447aba.png]

These seem fine?
10-15-2011 02:22 PM