Picture Wars
An Unfortunate End - Printable Version

+- Picture Wars (http://picturewars.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Picture Wars (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Matches (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Finished Matches (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Forum: Piercing the Veil (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+----- Thread: An Unfortunate End (/showthread.php?tid=1882)

Pages: 1 2

An Unfortunate End - SuperChocobo - 10-10-2012 12:25 PM

Hello! As you may have noticed PtV's activity has really dried up and I think it is time that myself and Chao, as the Gamemasters, admit our defeat. This isn't to say of course that the Gamemode was particularly a disaster, indeed we had some very nice story elements coming from our players which really helped make the game interesting to watch even though not many actual shots were fired!

It was a long time in the works, and although a lot of what we had planned never occured, and many of our assets went unused, I can't say we regret doing it. We made a lot of mistakes, being first timers of running a gamemode like this, for which I really am sorry for - things we never predicted caused problems for our players and made some of them lose motivation to play, so a lot of PtV's failure is down to us (It also doesn't help that I've been rather busy lately). Though I think it is fair to say that at least Piercing the Veil was the most successful gamemode we've had on PW and we really thank you guys for taking part and showing a lot of interest in it like you did, I'm just sorry that we didn't live up to some of the expectations.

At this stage of the game is is unrealistic for us to provide any real conclusion that would make sense, things just didn't really get to the point that would allow us to do this. I suppose we'll release the maps so people can see them in the full, and if anyone is particularly interested in what was going to happen then feel free to ask myself or Chao.

Once again thanks a lot for playing, but it is with regret that we choose to stop PtV.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Zizou - 10-10-2012 02:40 PM

What's gonna happen to the subforum?

Re: An Unfortunate End - Metal Chao - 10-10-2012 07:07 PM

I'll probably move it to completed even though it's technically not because it'd be a shame to lose the organisation

Re: An Unfortunate End - Reconunit - 10-10-2012 07:24 PM

I guess it was good while it lasted, some great stories where written. Most notably Squid's awesome churnlord tale.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Gallifrey - 10-10-2012 08:53 PM

I told you.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Metal Chao - 10-10-2012 10:19 PM

Told us what?

Re: An Unfortunate End - Gallifrey - 10-10-2012 11:30 PM

Oh, some while back we were talking on the IRC about PtV and I said it was dead soon, which I was, understandably, sad about.

Also, I wouldn't have abandoned it.
Until I left the site due to Exams/Being B&

Re: An Unfortunate End - Mr.Fahrenheit - 10-10-2012 11:46 PM

Aw man, this is too bad. It had a good run.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Stefman - 10-11-2012 05:32 AM

Sad news, indeed. PtV was a really good forum game.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Jafhar - 10-11-2012 07:10 AM

I'm sad that I didn't get to see Tektron's story.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Ryteth - 10-11-2012 07:55 AM

I'm really disappointed that this died, but it was fun while it lasted. Life has been pulling me away from Picture Wars for awhile now, and I expect it to only get worse until late November.

I was looking forward to using this, but I didn't get to entirely finish it.
Spoiler :
[Image: jMcul.png]

Re: An Unfortunate End - Metal Chao - 10-11-2012 10:34 AM

(10-10-2012 11:30 PM)Gimpi Trousercat link Wrote:  Also, I wouldn't have abandoned it.
Until I left the site due to Exams/Being B&

Nobody joined planning to quit and I don't really appreciate your implication that they did :)

Re: An Unfortunate End - Rainbows! - 10-11-2012 03:42 PM

PEOPLE CAN WE ALL JUST REOPEN IT TILL JAGERS MACHINE DOES SOMETHING.
LIKE KILL EVERYTHING

Re: An Unfortunate End - piskat - 10-11-2012 04:59 PM

Would there ever be any chance of revival?

Re: An Unfortunate End - Zizou - 10-11-2012 05:33 PM

We can make PtV officially end by making a post where Jager's thing blows everything up.

And by everything I mean everything.

When you scroll down on the post a flash thingy triggers and makes a huge explosion on your screen.

So it blows up you.

EVERYTHING BLOWS UP!!!

edit: also why is jager's name blue

Re: An Unfortunate End - Metal Chao - 10-11-2012 05:38 PM

(10-11-2012 04:59 PM)Sir Piskat link Wrote:  Would there ever be any chance of revival?
Honestly? No.

While I'd obviously like this to keep moving I think the only chance that would have at this point would be restarting from the top and that's not going to happen either.
I have learned a lot from this but as I am entering my busiest year of University I have no plans to run any similar project for a fairly long time, if anyone else feels like doing something similar please do have a chat with me first though!

Frankly you could already call this "post-revival", it basically stalled before the holiday and never really recovered despite our efforts.

(10-11-2012 05:33 PM)Zizou link Wrote:  Also why is jager's name blue
Look at Chocobo's name colour and there you'll find the answer.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Gallifrey - 10-11-2012 09:11 PM

(10-11-2012 10:34 AM)Metal Chao link Wrote:  Nobody joined planning to quit and I don't really appreciate your implication that they did :)

I'm pretty sure it was all a conspiracy man.
It was the government, man.
They know.

(10-11-2012 05:33 PM)Zizou link Wrote:  edit: also why is jager's name blue

Because he is a moderator. So is SuperChocobo.
Green is for admin.
And Elf doesn't exist.

EDIT:
Jager, that is the most beautiful thing I have seen outside Stefman's armies.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Ryteth - 10-12-2012 07:00 AM

That machine was going to be a terraformer. In the matches it would act as a mobile base rather than a weapon, so it wouldn't have killed anything itself, unless it stepped on someone, which I guess it could have.

The idea was that I was going to build one to act as my new base. It would relocate to the center of my territories, and sometimes move around to other maps if the frontlines shifted. Then I was going to build more and more of them and send them into the backgrounds of maps that I owned. As A.R.M. conquered more and more land, the terraformers would start to affect the planet's climate. I had made plans with Superchocobo and Metal Chao to slowly turn every map into a scorching wasteland if I was able to conquer enough of the maps.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Zizou - 10-12-2012 12:18 PM

(10-12-2012 07:00 AM)Jager link Wrote:  unless it stepped on someone

STEP ON ALL THE THINGS!!!

Posing that thing would kinda be a bitch though, wouldn't it? :P

Re: An Unfortunate End - Gallifrey - 10-12-2012 08:32 PM

I just want to see that in a match.

Re: An Unfortunate End - Ryteth - 10-13-2012 04:09 AM

(10-12-2012 12:18 PM)Zizou link Wrote:  Posing that thing would kinda be a bitch though, wouldn't it? :P
Yeah it would.

Re: An Unfortunate End - KommradKommissar - 10-13-2012 11:58 PM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wx8C7VmB4[/youtube]
;-;7

Re: An Unfortunate End - Zizou - 10-14-2012 01:47 PM

Will there ever be something of the likes of PtV ever again?

Re: An Unfortunate End - Metal Chao - 10-14-2012 02:12 PM

How would I know?
I said earlier I don't plan on making one any time soon (read: while I am still at University) but anyone else could give it a shot, though I am not sure they would want to.
I imagine these things are more amusing to play than to plan ;)

Re: An Unfortunate End - skaianDestiny - 10-14-2012 02:40 PM

Could you post the sprites and stuff that were unused?  I love looking at that sort of stuff.