Picture Wars

Full Version: Piercing the Veil - Rules and Guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a relatively large wall of text, but I insist that you bear with me and read the entire thing. As you'll realise most of this is common sense and is just reinforcing some ideas based on the gamemode's theme. The first section will be the list of guidelines, a lot of it is important so try not to skip it. After that there will be the rules on moving around the map - these are important so read them carefully and look at the provided pictures to confirm what you're supposed to do.

GUIDELINES:

First and foremost, we assume a robot is more durable and accurate than a human - they don't feel pain and are programmed to be efficient, after all. This also helps balance the fact that robots are made from metal and therefore require metal to make more and also give it off when they die.

Second and not foremost, if you are Jager then your army is so different to anything that you might as well consider most of the sections of these guidelines to say "Do whatever, I trust you"

Starting Force -
For the average starting force, we recommend around 10 troops and 3 heroes - this is a guideline for a general human army for aliens we advise comparing your strength to humans. Obviously this is entirely flexible and you can adjust things as you wish (and should adjust things if your units are much weaker than most, or much stronger than most) to give a vague idea of how you can change this, I'll give a few examples.

My army of humans are more based on vehicles, so instead I arrive with 5 troops, 3 heroes and 1 light vehicle.

My army of humans do not have as many heroes so therefore have 12 troops and 2 heroes.

My army of catcrabs have much stronger armour than a pathetic human, and could cut one in two with ease! I arrive with 6 troops and 1 hero

In general we'd advise not sacrificing all your troops or heroes to bring just vehicles. While vehicles are important and powerful, your troops will have an equally important role in PtV. We're going to be pretty lenient with your starting force, as you know your army best and we trust you to be balanced.

Infantry Reinforcements/Cloning/etc -
Infantry is your main method of combat and exploration on PtV, while not as limited as vehicles, your reinforcements will still be arriving slow enough that each unit's death will make a difference and provide your enemy with advantages over you. Within the veil is a planet which has occurrences unlike anything witnessed on other planets, waves of radiation occasionally cause planet-wide havoc with machinery and electronics.

Using humans as our guidelines, please apply these general rules to your race with adjustments based on your army's strengths etc. Common sense as usual!

Reinforcements: Reinforcements come from events known as "Veil drops" we assume this is your army's superiors trying to lend you a hand and dropping in more units or other fluff-specific reasons. Successful drops through the veil are the ones which will reinforce your units, Gamemode leaders will confirm or deny Veil drops or even grant Veil drops to those players who have played well or find themselves against unfair play. It is advised that you request a drop from a gamemode leader several turns in advance, so you are not waiting for a reply. If you're using this method you need not be so careful with balance, as it will mostly be decided by the leaders.

Cloning: Cloning machines will find their efficiency significantly reduced due to the strange radiation that the planet has, so will produce units at the same approximate speed as reinforcement drops (obviously adjusted, as usual, to your army's strengths or weaknesses)

Teleportation: Teleporting units is similar to cloning, with instabilities causing many teleportation attempts to go wrong, with the few successful ones occurring at the same rate as Cloning.

As you can see, each method is mostly there to enable you to pick one which matches your fluff accordingly (of course, if there is another form of obtaining units that you use, please apply these general rules) the basis is that you'll have no advantages or disadvantages using one method as you would using another. The only thing which will be different is those using reinforcements will be sorted by the Gamemode leaders, meaning you have no way of being unbalanced, whereas cloning and teleporting are used without needing a confirmation (meaning you might be subject to a leader event, which is explained later)

Robots can use any of the methods above, bar cloning (obviously) but can also opt to be built in factories if this makes more sense from a fluff perspective. Please note if you're building from factories, you will need to obtain metal from your enemies (times to produce will be more in line with cloning etc, than with vehicle production however. You are also allowed to build units in factories alongside your vehicles)

Vehicle reinforcements and factories -
Vehicles are a powerful force in PtV, and are even more limited than your infantry. While a mech in normal PW would be a valuable asset to your army, you will find its value increased in PtV. Each vehicle should be seen as something which you should try and make last for several battles, or even the entire gamemode if you pick your battles right, and upgrade accordingly. Due to this vehicles take a lot of effort to manufacture. As usual we ask that you adjust these guidelines to meet your army's needs (Say for example, if your vehicles are quite weak, you'd obviously have more than other people)

Vehicles are made primarily from factories, and unlike infantry, cannot be produced or called upon quite so easily. When requesting a vehicle reinforcement, the machine is delivered in parts which must be put together in your base, reinforcement drop success is governed, like all veil drops, by Leader acceptance or denial so apply the same rules as you would to obtaining units from veil drops. The alternative is to collect scrap from around the planet and take it back to your base for vehicle production. This gives an idea on how much effort is required to make a vehicle - first you must gather the parts necessary, and then wait for them to be put together at your factory.

Please keep in mind that producing vehicles takes a long time, and that to make the best usage out of these machines is to keep the ones you have alive by repairing them and making them stronger with scavenged material. Making a vehicles can potentially waste precious resources and times when you could have had the same effect making an existing one stronger, or repairing a damaged one.

If it makes sense for your army to do so, you can even unleash your vehicles in a half made state if you lack the materials to complete it fully. Do note however that this will make the vehicle prone to malfunctions, and if this is not represented enough then you may be subject to a leader event.

Factories can be upgraded with metal, which can either make your vehicle production a tad faster, or perhaps allow you to build multiple vehicles at once. However no matter how upgraded your factory is, you will never be allowed to simply fabricate vehicles as this is one of the few things that goes directly against the gamemode's theme.

Bases and Expansion -
Bases take a lot of effort to put up and maintain, your base will not go from a crashed ship into a bustling hive in a matter of turns. We expect bases to be at full capacity much closer to end game than would be usual for a PW match, please moderate how you build to reflect this.
Most of you will be crash landing in fully constructed ships, we hope that you either break these up enough in your map or have it so pretty much all their advanced functions require extensive repairs to be performed on them.

The Veil is a strange thing indeed and often has Veil Bursts, blasts of unseen radiation which cause havoc in machinery. As such bases which when fully operational, float, will have trouble staying in the air, and teleportation used in a way other than for reinforcements will be prone to catastrophic failures.

When expanding your base please keep in mind the difficulty of building vehicles and apply something more time consuming to your base building. In PtV you are expected to be careful with your units as getting to a state of full operation will take a long time, and even then reinforcements will still be limited

Scavenging -
Scavenging plays a huge part in Piercing the Veil, where your reinforcements are limited and upgrades must be made wherever possible. Failure to scavenge could put you in a world of danger, and more often than not upgraded vehicles and infantry will be better than two vehicles.

How you scavenge is up to you, and this will be the aspect we are most lenient on, with it being a focus point of the gamemode. As long as an enemy robot's remains doesn't end up as a doomsday cannon or super plate armour then we should all be fine and you won't be subject to any nasty repercussions!

Heroes -
Hero characters are named units with a backstory, or who have survived against large odds during the game itself. While not particularly stronger than normal units, Heroes will be given a lot more leeway in what they can survive as usually players will have some form of plan intended for these characters. You may have more characters crop up during your play, but we ask that you don't go overboard with this - for example, a man who got shot in the leg survives, this does not instantly make him a character. Just apply common sense really (as with all these guidelines)

Map conditions and events -
As you're all aware we have 4 different biomes for PtV, while for the most part we won't enforce any of this, we ask that you please consider a map's biome when playing in it. For example, the desert is full of sand (surprise surprise) which can often play mischief in a vehicle's mechanisms if it isn't built to withstand sandy areas. A jungle is full of trees so flying there would be pretty difficult! This links with the events, as if we see a player playing unfairly we may apply a map's conditions as a suitable explanation for the punishment we give out.

Leader events come in a variety of forms which are as follows:

Penalty Events: Uh oh! Looks like a player has been disgusting and unfair in his playstyle, maybe their makeshift vehicle is not malfunctioning at all, or maybe they're cloning units faster than rabbits breed perhaps even their single hero has survived 50 tankshells and used them to make himself a giant robot. Whatever the situation, said player will be subject to a Penalty event - events designed to set back their progress or cause disruption to their plans. Each subsequent penalty event on the same player will have its effects worsened eventually accumulating into devastating consequences.

Map Events: Suddenly, sandstorms! Map events will usually be in the form of weather effects and will almost always be a disadvantage to every player present in that map, usually a way to combat the disadvantages will be described when the event occurs.

World Events: Veil bursts! These are similar to map events but instead of affecting a single map, they affect multiple maps or even the entire world! These will often occur as a result of actions taken within the gamemode, or to coincide with plot events.

Plot Events: Plot events occur at certain moments in the game, or after requirements have been met. These events serve to give players information on current happenings, to brief players on their loose objective, or to progress the storyline to the next step.

Mysteries within the Veil -
As the game gets going, events will be set in motion that will need additional rules, these will all fall under the Mysteries within the Veil guidelines and will be added when they become relevant - Look forward to it, kiddywinks!

Quick note: Please use your common sense in all the guidelines posted above, taking into account your army's strengths and weaknesses and also how long it has been since your last declare

MOVEMENT AND DECLARE RULES:
These are rules that must be followed! You'll be glad to hear that there won't be even half as much text here.

Declares -
There will be a world map and within this, hexes which represent each other map (Player maps, Battlefield maps and Plot maps) when declaring on your own map you declare by saying

Declare Self

This alerts others who may be wanting to travel to your map that they are unable to declare on it until you have finished. When declaring on someone else's map, you declare by saying (using declaring on my map as an example)

Declare SuperChocobo

That way I know you are declaring on my map and I cannot make changes until you have done so! (But I am still allowed to declare on other maps if I have units there) when declaring on a map not owned by a player, use the map's type as your declare by saying

Declare Desert Battlefield or Declare Desert Plot map

Occasionally you may see a leader make a specific declare, at this point All action must stop and await the leader's post. Declares like this will be as follows -

Event Declare

Please keep an eye out for these sorts of declares!

Movement -
When moving to a new hex, it will take around 2 declares on the hex linked to the one you're travelling to to get to that location. To show units that are travelling, please make an image like so, showing the units which are currently travelling. You must arrive in a hex before travelling to the next (you cannot, say, travel to a further away hex, missing one out but taking 4 declares)

[Image: uXaEr.png]
Desert Battlefield -> Bikkel's Map (2 turns remaining)

Some hexes will have a border around them, this means they are surrounded by impassable terrain and can only be approached from a direction which is not covered by the border.
[Image: JNY1Y.png]

And that's it! Any questions should be asked here so that others might benefit from those asked.
Just a note to EVERYONE.

You will NOT be choosing your own hex position. This shall be randomly assigned.
Please note that it might be a little unfair to have any more than TWO self declares a day!
Quick question, I know resources are important and all of that jazz, and that we have to conserve and scavenge, but where do we get NEW metal from?
Other than the shipwrecks people have on each map, and the occasional vehicle carcass on the battlefield, there really isn't that much metal.
Can the stone/rock formations on maps be mined and smelted into metal for unit fabrication?
Just curious, and I'm sorry if these are stupid questions.
Your ships aren't the only ones to fall foul of the ring of rocks and weird radiation around the planet, many wrecks circle it in decaying orbits, occasionally crashing down on battle maps for people to steal bits of.
It is also possible to build mines for a small but steady income of material, though these will obviously take time to set up and shouldn't replace scavenging completely. If you want to draw actual tunnels snaking around and leading to bits of minerals you've drawn on the map then that's fine but it's not strictly necessary as long as your structure is clearly some kind of mine and took some investment to set up.

Remember also that you can request vehicle parts to just get dropped in from the rest of your fleet sitting in space just out of range of the radiation (or alternately, sitting wherever they came from ready to send you parts somehow) and if they think it seems fair then they'll just let you do that. Don't try to ask for a whole tank battalion though, that's obviously not going to fly.
Okay just to clarify some declare rules.

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY

In a hex currently occupied by ONLY YOURSELF you may have up to TWO DECLARES a day for the units and buildings WITHIN that hex.

For units that you wish to move to another hex you must put them IN TRANSITION where they forego any movement within a hex, and also forego a SECOND DECLARE if you have one, to move to the next hex for the next day.

If NO ONE is present within a hex, you may choose to not make your units appear on the map, and simply put them IN TRANSITION again to get to another adjacent hex. If an enemy IS PRESENT then you must put your units on the map and they must walk to the opposite edge of a map to be able to be put IN TRANSITION

During a combat situation, you may have as many declares as would make sense for a match.

As an example I declare for the first time today. My redbots who occupy a hex only currently occupied by only myself, decide to move into transition to get to an adjacent hex. They disappear from the map and are put in transition, and will not arrive until the following day.

The next day arrives and my redbots have arrived into a hex occupied by enemies. I must first declare to make them arrive into said map and then any further turns will be performed like a match until either the enemy is dead, I am dead, or I have made it to the other side, by which time I can put my units in transition.

If your units move into transition on your second declare of the day, they will not arrive in the next hex until your second declare of the next day.
RULE UPDATE WOAH

Quote:22:12 - Bikkel: should i ask in the gamethread if my EXPERIMENT will give me results n stuff that can help me against radiation stuff

It would be nice if you could all do this when dealing with things you're unsure about.
RULE UPDATE FOLLOW UP WOAH

It's getting to the point that a few of you are wanting to avoid future veil bursts, or even manipulate the radiation itself. While I cannot guarantee the success of all (or even any) of your plans relating to these aspects of the game, I ask that you all begin to start experimenting in your turns. (rather than asking me on steam!)

As an example on how this will work, let's use generic humans as an example (Please note this is an example and MAY NOT be possible in the game, I'm not telling you either way). It is their go and they're currently making their base turn, they want a gun which can use the radiation to deactivate machines like the veil bursts do. They decide to make a machine that is supposed to absorb the radiation over time and then emit it.

They make this evident in their turn description, and then make a post in the gameplay thread detailing their experiment. A GM will then confirm whether or not the experiment was successful.

As is evident, this is a pretty open field and there are a lot of things you can do so i'll post some TIPS.

1. The Native's weapons cannot be reverse engineered if they use crystal based mechanisms, the crystals are deactivated when the device or weapon is de-constructed and can only be reactivated by the natives or usage of SECRET STUFF. The weapons can however be used should they be obtained, but are prone to failures due to their users not knowing how to use them.

2. Protection from Veil radiation can only really be obtained from the Natives.

Anything else you are open to experiment with, and these rules will become more important a bit later on in the game.

If you have any questions on this PLEASE ask here and not in the IRC, PMs or Steam. As other people may want to know this information too.
Reference URL's